Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Main Event Reax - 1/8/14, TNA signs new international deal, Update on TNA-Spike relationship, former Divas Champion leaves WWE, former WWE/TNA name leaves wrestling, Hogan correction, Mae Young update and Questions on WWE live events, bringing back KOTR, the dangers of indie wrestling, Batista at Mania and signing Sin Cara

Main Event:
I really liked the opening match. Cesaro in particular always impresses me, and Woods is starting to get more comfortable in the ring. Hopefully the sky is bright for those two in particular.

I wonder how much putting over of Vince's accomplishments will happen after HHH takes over for real.

Del Rio's a really smooth performer in the ring. I appreciate it. Gabriel's something of an unsung hero for his work ethic. I hope both men catch the attention of WWE brass (though I think Del Rio would benefit from some time off as a character).

Good Del Rio promo. I imagine Batista will eat him for lunch at some point. Batista does need a big win to put him back on the map as a top name.

I'm not really sure why I found that Fandango promo so funny, but I did. I have an odd sense of humor.

Impressive work from the tag champs there. Their string of solid matches continues. 3MB was nice as well.

That was a great send-off match for Kaitlyn.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.
TNA has signed a new deal with Challenge TV in Great Britain to stay on the air there for several more years. There's some concern in the company about TNA's current deal with Spike, which expires in October. There's potential for WWE to move their shows back to Spike and other Viacom networks this year, which could definitely preclude TNA from airing there. Spike was hoping Impact's audience would grow to two million viewers. The highest mark Impact hit in 2013 was 1.62 million for the first show of the year. It's been notably below that mark since. This doesn't mean TNA will be dropped, but it definitely puts their position in doubt.

Update: here's the official press release.

WWE Diva Kaitlyn has asked for and received her release from the company to pursue outside endeavors. I'm really going to miss her. Very entertaining performer who worked very hard to make it.

Matt Morgan is leaving the wrestling business. I always hoped he would break out into a bigger role during his TNA run or jump to WWE. He had an impressive size coupled with some really good agility. 

Reports of Hulk Hogan being in Las Vegas in conjunction with the WWE Network announcement were inaccurate. It would certainly have made sense for him to be there, but no dice.

WWE Hall of Famer Mae Young has been taken off life support. She's one-of-a-kind for sure.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. WWE threw in some special bonuses on those northeast shows. I agree with the remark about people knowing who's going to appear. Talent's only partially responsible here. A better creative approach that treats talents as more important would help a lot.

2. It's all about how well the gimmick is pushed. If they pushed the PPV as a really big deal, I could see it possibly working. It is a relic of an earlier time, but I think WWE could make it work. King Sandow could be a fun character.

3. The life of an independent wrestler is not a glamorous one at times.

4. There's also the possibility of Batista vs. Taker. I also think that match could be a mistake. It all depends on where the other members of the roster (notably Daniel Bryan) end up as to whether I'll be behind it. On paper and from a business sense, I can see why they'd slot Batista there. But there are points to be made about Bryan in particular deserving a big match there.

5. Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. Rey's a big deal for the company, so the hope to recreate that success was there. He was quite a star in Mexico, so they had that in their defense.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment