Total Pageviews

Friday, January 3, 2014

Query on ICP, Legends appearances, Interview with former TNA tag champ/Flair+Cody/Angle, Eaton update and Questions on the WWE brand split, TNA ratings, Double J in WWE and E-C-Dub

First up, a query:
1. I don't know of any plans for ICP to return to the ring, either for JCW or anywhere else. There really hasn't been a lot of news about them as wrestlers in a good while.

Hulk Hogan appeared on ESPN after hyping the New England Patriots. I much prefer him being on ESPN than WWE or TNA.

Update: Hogan also appeared with Jimmy Hart and Jerry Lawler at Hogan's restaurant. I wonder how much I could take of that commentary team...

The former Vance Archer/Lance Hoyt was interviewed. I'm also a big fan of Heath Slater lately and think there can be WAY too much negativity in wrestling these days.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.

Ric Flair and Cody Rhodes were interviewed in a piece about second-generation wrestlers. I'm VERY glad Cody didn't try to emulate his dad or half-brother in the ring. I have high hopes for Charlotte (as Ashley is known in NXT).

Kurt Angle talked about his personal issues, potentially going back to WWE and more. Great heel move by Jadidi. Angle is an insanely driven individual. While this helps/has helped him be at the top of his game both as an amateur as a professional, it can also be tough to control when he doesn't need to perform (see Flair, Ric). I'm very glad he's come a long way from his personal issues. I don't know how realistic a WWE return is. I'd love to see one last run if it's feasible. That said, he's one of TNA's most valuable assets. It will be a challenge to make up for his absence.

Bobby Eaton was released from the hospital, but readmitted due to complications. More on this situation as it develops.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. Part of why those dual-branded PPVs were successful was because it was initially a special thing to see the two brands on the same show. There were some downsides to the brand split era, but I think it could work if WWE made the stars on each brand mean enough (of course the stars themselves have to pull their weight as well).

2. They could kind of split some hairs here: it's one championship represented by both physical titles. I like the visual of both titles, but I do think there will come a time to switch over to just one belt.

3. It's definitely not one factor. There were certainly fans who jumped over to MMA. It's also true WWE has a very full slate of content to watch every week. I think another notable problem is due to TNA putting a lot of eggs in the baskets of stars of previous eras instead of making new stars from scratch. The younger generation doesn't have the affinity with names like Hogan, Foley, etc. and the fans who do want to see names like that probably get tired of the nostalgia trip pretty quickly.

4. I don't know how much bad blood there is between Jarrett and WWE there is in 2014. If WWE feels it'll pop the crowd at the Rumble, they might do it. I'd love to see him make an appearance or two in a similar way to what was mentioned, but I don't know how realistic that is to expect.

5. It's fine to have affinity for a previous era or promotion as long as that doesn't preclude someone from giving other content a try.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment