Total Pageviews

Friday, January 24, 2014

Superstars and Genesis Part 2 Reax - 1/23/14

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Superstars and Genesis edition of Impact Wrestling.

Superstars:
I can't say I dislike the little mini-feud with the Bellas vs. Alicia and Aksana. At least it has some story to it now. That, to me, is an important aspect when WWE puts on so much content every week.

Nice six-man tag. Los Matadores haven't really progressed much as characters, but they're fine for their little act.

Genesis Part 2:
I liked the opening segment well enough to set up tonight's main event.

I also liked the segment revealing Samoa Joe's involvement. Maybe he'll finally get another main event push now.

Good segment to set up Joe vs. Spud.

I wasn't really crazy about the booking for Gunner vs. Storm. Pole matches in general are kind of silly, but I think the two of them made the most of their circumstances there. Good work by both of them.

Good Angle promo. Tonight's match should really be special.

Nice stuff with Sabin and Velvet. They have the potential to do something big with them in the X Title match.

Letting Velvet into the cage with the bag's a little silly, but I guess they figure it doesn't matter if she's locked in there.

Nice stuff with Aries vs. Sabin. I'm really glad they moved away from the "three-way spotfest" era.

Nice setup for next week's Impact. I definitely think TNA will get behind the Wolves. They just had a lot of storylines already set for these tapings.

The booking was a little wonky there as far as both men having the opportunity to win but not doing so, but I can't complain too much. The action itself was top-notch. I don't think it hurt Roode much (if at all) to lose. I hope 2014's a big year for him.

Funny EC3/Spud segment. I imagine Spud's going to get massacred, but that makes sense.

I wasn't really crazy about the Bro-Mans/EY and Abyss segment. Abyss isn't as interesting as Park.I wonder if they should put the titles on EY and Abyss if The Wolves are going to come in as babyfaces. You'd think they'd be the ones to take the gold. Maybe Abyss turns on EY? We'll see.

Good Joe promo. He's better when he doesn't say (or yell) much.

It's actually pretty weird thinking of a post-Sting era in TNA. He's been part of things for so long now. I liked Angle's promo.

Joe vs. Spud was well done. I'm fine with Spud just being a comedy character. He does it well and not everyone needs to be a really serious fighter out for blood.

EC3 better watch out for Joe.

I'm normally a fan of big, wild brawls, but I think they tried to do too much here. Sting making Magnus tap wasn't the best booking decision, given how Magnus is the company's World Champion and Sting's possibly done for good. I get what they were going for, but it was kind of a mess.

The post-match was good to end the show focusing on Dixie's stable. I do think we're hitting a point where too much focus is on Dixie at the expense of the wrestlers at times.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment