Total Pageviews

Friday, September 25, 2015

Main Event and Smackdown Reax - 9/24/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Main Event and Smackdown.
Main Event:
-Team Bella vs. Team B.A.D.:
It's a shame Sasha's just one part of the equation after being such a big deal in NXT. I think in hindsight I might have held off introducing three Divas at once in a large storyline. They could have focused on Charlotte, had her win the title, then have Sasha come up to rain on her parade. Becky could get more fine-tuning as a top NXT Diva so we wouldn't have this awkward phase with some of the people down there now who are still green.

Not a bad match so far.

Pretty good ending segment.

Sheamus vs. Kane would make sense after Kane faces Rollins. Since I doubt they'll completely get rid of him anytime soon.

Sheamus burying Swagger was actually kind of funny, as much as I hate to admit it. I wish there was a viable alternative for the former World Champion to go to where he could shine. NXT would be fine for him to kind of get a reboot, but I don't know the odds of that.

Good way to get heat on the main event.

-Stardust vs. Truth:
I'm fine with the Cosmic Wasteland. I guess they're kind of a Legion of Doom (the DC villains, not the tag team).

Fine match overall.

- Sheamus vs. Swagger:
I like Sheamus' heel tactics here, and Swagger focusing on the ankle lock is good.

Nice turn of events with Sheamus trying to win with his own submission.

Good ending.

Smackdown:
OK, Kane as the conniving authority figure pretending not to be the Demon is winning me over. Glad they're not pretending this guy never existed just because he came back with a mask.

I like the matches announced for tonight.

Awesome continuity with Kane's training.

I like the continuity with the heat before Kane's injury, too.

- Reigns vs. Harper:
These two work well together. Harper can bring out Reigns' best.

I'm stating the obvious here, but Harper's quite good.

Not a bad match at all. I'm glad Roman wasn't hotshotted the title in March.

SAVE THE TABLES!!! It's a shame New Day will probably drop the belts soon.

- New Day vs. Neville/Dragons:
I really like New Day as athletes and for their intangibles. I wish more wrestlers were this fun to watch.

Good match.

I'm glad the Dudleys didn't interrupt that post-match. New Day is so much fun.

Bo's a lot of fun, too.

- Dallas vs. Cesaro:
Cesaro can wrestle like no one's business.

Not a bad match at all.

Nikki's title reign wasn't bad from a wrestling perspective. It was just pretty much everything else working against it.

I'm not crazy about this turn for the Divas' Revolution. It could definitely be worse, though.

Good stuff between Paige and Natalya. It's nice to incorporate all that Paige did as champ.

- Owens/Rusev vs. Ziggler/Ryback:
Good stuff to get us started.

Really enjoyable energy here.

That was an OK ending, I guess. Rusev's definitely not unstoppable anymore.

Good segment with the Dudleys and PTP. I hope Bubba and D-Von can bring the current teams to new heights.

I liked Rollins' promo.

- Rollins vs. Ambrose:
These two going at it is always a lot of fun.

Both men are doing well here.

Really enjoyable stuff. They have a lot of chemistry.

Not an awful ending to keep Seth vs. Kane going. Rollins looks more and more like a punk with all these losses, though.

Rollins can look like a threat by playing up potentially ending Sting's career, for what that's worth.

More wrestling coming up.

4 comments:

  1. You know, I was hoping Night of Champions would help elevate Rollins, but it really didn't. It definitely doesn't help things when he loses to Ambrose and Cena again in the week following the pay-per-view. Not that Ambrose isn't great, but it's obvious that Ambrose isn't in the top of the upper card at this point. I really don't know what is going on with Rollins and how WWE keeps spinning his tires. He reminds me a ton of Alberto Del Rio's World Title reign: he has/will be champion for a bit, yet loses virtually every non-title match to decrease any possible elevation.

    I know WWE made him champion early and at a young age, and I'm not saying he should win every match, but at least give him a little more traction than he has been getting. What are your thoughts on the matter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess they're just trying to build the story of the vulnerable champion who is often backed into a corner and beatable, in contrast to the dominant monster champion Brock was.

    I'm definitely of the mindset that wins and losses aren't as important as the lasting impression we're left with (especially losses via rollup when someone's distracted and that kind of thing), but I agree he's not being presented as a strong champion earning his wins most of the time.

    I generally enjoy the character of weasel heel who escapes by the skin of his teeth (yet remains arrogant and sure of himself), but I know a lot of people want Rollins to be presented as a serious main eventer. The problem of how he's booked is people believing him as a viable champion after he drops the belt. WWE NEEDS credible main eventers. It should be throwing up red flags in Stamford that they keep relying on guys like Brock, Taker, Kane, Sting, Cena, and Big Show in big roles. All of those names were World Champions at least 10 years ago, and most of them longer ago than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some solid points. I read this article here and it also brought up some valid points regarding Rollins' booking. I think the one exception to saying Rollins is faltering by losing to the U.S. Champion clean two straight nights is that he's facing John Cena. I think some people see it as "the WWE W.H. Champion has lost to the U.S. Champion," so that is devaluing him. I think this may make some sense for most that hold the U.S. Title, but I think one thing some may be missing is that it's John Cena.

    http://www.cagesideseats.com/2015/9/25/9400051/seth-rollins-the-weakest-wwe-champion-of-all-time

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it plays into the angle that Rollins isn't deserving of being champion since he keeps more or less lucking into retaining it. It can definitely make him look weak, but hopefully it's effective in getting him over as a heel. "Rollins is only champion because ________! As soon as he gets a fair fight, he's going down! I can't wait for someone to take that title and finally shut him up!" That kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete