Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 3, 2015

NXT and ROH Reax - 9/2/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's NXT and ROH.
NXT:
It's kind of cool to see The Ascension back here. They used to be pretty cool in NXT.

- Ascension vs. Rhyno/Corbin:
I'm interested to see how all these guys mesh.

Are The Ascension faces here? I guess they are against Corbin.

Corbin's a fine enough hoss. I could see him working as a tag team guy like Titus is.

It's just not the same without Paul Heyman announcing the Gore.

This match was meh. Probably because there really wasn't any contrast between the performers. They're all pretty similar.

Neville and Crowe could be a fun team, I think. It's a shame Crowe hasn't quite come into his own yet. Neville's promo was good enough.

Nia Jax reminds me a little bit of Kharma as far as an imposing heel.

- Bliss vs. Blue Pants:
Alexa Bliss is definitely the personality of her team.

I like Alexa's heel work. She can definitely be someone on the main roster at some point.

Not a bad match at all. Pretty simplistic, but they both played their roles well.

Kind of funny to see Ciampa and Gargano in suits.

I wonder what Breeze's future holds after losing to Liger.

I like NXT bringing in important indie names to boost the brand. NXT being its own little entity separate-ish from WWE is good.

I'm a mark for Heel Emma.

- Crews vs. Stone:
I'm already a fan of Apollo from his first NXT match. Granted, he had a strong worker as an opponent.

I also like NXT having some good hands around just to help others get over. Blue Pants serves this purpose for the Divas. Maybe Stone will do it for guys like Crews?

So far, so good from Crews. He's still in the squash match stage, but he knows how to play to the crowd and is very crisp in the ring.

Gable and Jordan make for a pretty good pair. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.


Things seem a bit lacking with no trophy (?) or anything on the line in the Dusty Classic. Obviously honoring Dusty is really important, though.

How cool is it to see Samoa Joe team with Finn Balor?

- Eva vs. Kay:
Eva's starting to get less rough around the edges. She's not a lost cause.

Good stuff so far from Kay.

Eva just doesn't have the pizzazz Kendrick had when he did that move. She's a work in progress.

Kind of a funny segment with Hype Bros/Enzo/Cass.

- Jordan/Gable vs. Neville/Crowe:
How damn good is Gable as an amateur? I hope he does great stuff.

Heck, Jordan's not bad, either.

And Neville's skills are just insane.

Gable and Jordan are really impressing me as a team. I think they're going places.

I like Gable and Jordan a good deal because they look and work like a team trying to beat their opponents instead of two individuals trying to get their shit in.

I hope gravity doesn't remember Neville anytime soon. He's really good.

Good win from the former amateurs. Neville and Crowe were pretty solid in defeat.

ROH:
Please don't suck this week.

I do generally enjoy The Decade, so this is a good start.

- Page vs. J. Briscoe:
The Code of Honor is so dorky and lame. It looks like something Bo Dallas would do.

Yep, we're already into suicide dives. How long until the superkicks?

Nice heeling from The Decade. They're one of the few acts worth checking out here.

BAH GAWD THAT MAN HAS A FAMILY!!!!

Not a bad opening segment at all. I actually care about the Briscoes getting revenge on The Decade. The latter aren't the "cool heels" trying to get a positive reaction and sell merchandise because "it's all fake anyway." That really makes things better.

Whoa. Good stuff from Castle, too. It's almost like they're treating this show like people have real issues with each other and aren't just there to do highspots.

Not a bad setup for Cedric vs. Caprice. I don't know why they're pushing Cedric instead of having Moose destroy both of them, but maybe they're smarter than they usually are.

- Alexander vs. Coleman:
So-so stuff going into break. Both men are pretty bland.

That was decent despite the flippiness at the end. I'm definitely ready for Moose to go back to wrecking people.

Oh, so they're just going to have every manager in ROH involved in this angle now?

- Evans vs. Cheeseburger:
Flippy Guy vs. Angry, Serious Veteran seems to be a constant feud in ROH. I guess it's better than flippy guy vs. flippy guy.

That wasn't bad at all. Mostly good show this week (by ROH standards at least).

I liked Lethal's promo. I still don't really see him as a top guy outside ROH, but he's not a bad champion.

I definitely don't care to see the Young Bucks in action next week. I'm split on Lethal vs. Strong, but we'll see how it goes.

- Lethal vs. Hanson:
Lethal's growing on me as a heel. He's still pretty generic, but not as much as he used to be.

I'm liking the contrast between these two. There's actually some story here.

AND... back to flippy shit. It's impressive to see three suicide dives in a row, but it feels more like showing off than trying to beat your opponent.

Lethal's pretty impressive here.

Back to the match falling apart with Hanson wrestling like a smaller guy, then no-selling the elbow drop.

Not awful, I guess. I suppose this was supposed to be like Cena vs. Owens where two big-time players go at it and it takes a lot to put someone down.

Not a bad ending to the show to continue Lethal's title reign. It's getting interesting, I have to admit.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment