Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Superstars and Impact Wrestling thoughts- 9/1/11

It's a big day for wrestling with 3 hours of WWE and TNA on tap. John Morrison takes on R-Truth in a big Superstars match, while Impact Wrestling features Kurt Angle vs. Sting for the World Championship with Hulk Hogan as the special referee. Winter defends the Knockouts Championship against Mickie James, longtime rivals AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels face off, and we get news regarding the return of Jeff Hardy. All in all, some pretty big shows. Read on for my thoughts on them as they happen.
Morrison vs. R-Truth should be a pretty big deal. It deserved at least a mention on Raw. Superstars might as well not exist in the WWE mindset.

Slater's going to get smashed here. He's someone I definitely think could be in trouble with the whole "restructuring" thing, despite his year and a half on TV.

The announcers are doing a good job giving some background and personality to these guys.

He didn't own a TV? What a nerd! Damn you Michael Cole...

The right guy went over here.

Good for them for selling the importance of the main event.

SSSSHHHHEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! Heck yeah, Brodus Clay.

Nice Taz reference by Striker.

Haha, Brandon James. Hey, it's hard coming up with that many generic names in a year.

Ew, cauliflower ears...

I like the hospital quip.

Not a bad squash match. I enjoy Brodus in small doses; hopefully big things happen for him in longer matches.

Pretty cool bit for Ryder. I wish more people would grow their characters like he has.

Ryder beat Primo for the title, darnit.

I don't really remember NKOTB.

I like the point they made about Kidd being on internet shows.

Wait, we're supposed to cheer for Striker on NXT, but boo his commentary on Superstars?

I bet Striker secretly loves Ryder's show.

Not a bad match at all. Too bad Ryder ate an RKO later in the night.

You'd think someone would unplug people (Cole) more often.

Ryder getting over with the young members of the WWE Universe.

Heck, Triple H could be the face against Punk with all those comments.

Michael Rapaport just looks and sounds punchable.

Oliver Stone reference. Nice.

Morrison and Truth work really well together.

Being on Superstars is a conspiracy.

Amazing agility by Morrison. He's really someone to watch.

Sign Guy sighting!

It's going to be pretty weird with no new Smackdown tomorrow. I think it's a good cap-off to the week, and keeping it spaced out from Raw gives things more time to play out and not bunching the shows/stories together.

Stanford's really good in his role.

Morrison needs a name for that C4/Walking the Plank move. Hmm... Loc-JoMotion? JoMotion Sickness? Breaking On Through to the Other Side?

Little Naitch is a Little Jimmy! CONSPIRACY!

His finisher's not really called the Little Jimmy is it? That's ridiculous.

Fun show. More props to Stanford for the last WWE show comment of the week.

So this is what TNA looks like in a decent-sized venue.

Hey, they need to sell tickets to their next taping, and Sting/Flair will do that. No Surrender's in the Impact Wrestling Zone.

Glad Sting got a new entrance video.

I was kind of under the impression that them announcing things for the show before tonight means they were "made" before the show took place or something. In other words, this wasn't a surprise like it should have been.

Bully Ray's lost weight. Good for him.

I lost track of whether Storm's injury had been mentioned on TV or not, hence why he wasn't in my final four. I like this match for the 4th spot, though.

Joe don't give a flip.

Nice touch with Lynn wearing RVD's shirt.

Ha, I thought Gunner would win with the roll-up.

RVD can still go and Gunner's pretty impressive. I'd like to see these two go again.

"Van Dam got Robbed". Nice.

All of the Knockouts standing together despite the feuds of the division. Dumb.

Violence and gore? Where do I sign up?

Wait, I didn't think ODB and Jackie "had contracts"?

Hahahahaha. I'd much rather have Karen there than Traci. Never really a fan of the latter and it's a pretty natural association with Bischoff.

I think they can play off of Karen well. Then again, it pretty much makes them all faces against her.

I wish the others could cut promos like Karen.

Wow. Kendrick looks pretty stupid.

The X-Division's like nothing in wrestling? I guess indies don't exist in TNA's world.

Sweet dropkick.

Aries had some pretty obvious "getting in position to take a move" spots there.

It doesn't seem to matter how long it is between Tower of Doom spots; they still fill cliche.

At least the story of Sorensen surprising Kash was nice.

Fine setups for the Knockouts match, though the Winter storyline's still pretty weird.

Anyone know off the top of their heads how many times Jeff Hardy's gotten in some kind of trouble, then gotten another chance? More than once or twice for sure.

I barely care about this feud at this point as far as the competitors facing off. Not because they're bad or anything; we've just seen it for so long now.

Really? Mickie again? Kind of makes the whole feud seem like a waste of time. Mickie's just not as interesting as champion to me.

Morgan vs. Joe's one of few matches TNA can do that I'd be interested in from an in-ring standpoint. A lot of other people they push are past their primes and/or I've seen them wrestle so many times it doesn't mean much anymore.

A WWE sucks sign? I thought the Bubba Army one was bad.

I really don't care much about the Robbies or Eric Young with this storyline. We'll see where it goes, though.

I've lost track of how many times these two have faced off. Plenty, in my book.

Cool submission by Styles.

Interesting way for that one to go down.

It's like they're trying to have a 10+ minute match in 5 minutes.

A lot going on in a quick time in this one.

"Angle might have just slammed him on a chair, but the enforcer's telling me to count so I'm counting".

No-selling everywhere.

I think I left Anderson off of my No Surrender booking. Like I said, it's convoluted. I goofed. I might have left RVD out, too. I should have stuck with detailing the top matches!

Anyway, that's all for Thursday's wrestling. I'll be back for Raw on Monday, and a news post will be up later tonight. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment