Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Monday's WWE Title match changed?, JR and Taker updates, Questions on elimination matches, some kind of anti-WWE rant, Ryder, saying wrestling, Twitter, Wasteland, and powerbombs in cages, WWE a defendant in a new lawsuit, Miz interview, O'Haire arrested for battery, and a Natalya interview

Thursday's news started with a potential spoiler: The arena hosting Raw is advertising John Cena in a triple threat match with C.M. Punk and Alberto Del Rio for the WWE Championship. Since they are also advertising a World Title match between Mark Henry and Big Show, it doesn't look like this is a dark match. Maybe this is a mistake, but we'll find out for sure on Monday. I think that match is fine on its own, but WWE loves Cena so it wouldn't surprise me if he's involved.

Jim Ross updated his own and Undertaker's status in a blog post. Doesn't seem like anything's changed since the last time people asked him about the subject.

Thanksgiving featured a double dose of PWInsider.com questions. Here's my take:
1. I'm fine with there not being more than one elimination match. They've basically become excuses to throw people together instead of combining feuds in a somewhat natural way. If they start putting more focus on the feuds and characters that makes the matches feel like they're there for a reason other than tradition, then maybe I'll change my mind.

2. This is by far one of the most poorly constructed and asked questions I have ever read. Both questioner and answerer should be ashamed for it being brought to my attention. I feel my IQ dropping from having read it and seeing it treated as a serious inquiry. I will never get this time back, and I curse the both of you for that. After the break, I'll try to piece together a response, but I think I may need a translator who speaks crazy and uneducated. Then I'll go into the rest of the day's news and questions.

I'll go in order of things I can actually comprehend: If drawing over $100 million in 3 months time is being on your last legs, the majority of the world's businesses must be teetering on collapse. As for changing the product, as has been pointed out week in and week out, things are changing if you actually watch the shows all the way through. There are a good number of young, fresh, talented stars getting TV time every episode, but of course that doesn't get reported much. How anything WWE does could be confused with General Hospital is beyond me, but obviously the person writing this question was quite confused given the numerous errors and meandering metaphors.

The talent they have can indeed draw cash, but publicity's a good deal harder to come across. There's a reason so many people are talking about The Rock returning and not the weekly happenings on the show. Publicity outside of wrestling circles is what they're going for with celebrity crossovers and the like. I haven't really seen many questions complaining about waiting for The Rock or this other stuff. As for ROH, would it really be so hard to Google it to see when it airs or is uploaded?

And for their response, supposedly the audience wants more from the Divas, newer talents, Zack Ryder, and C.M. Punk. We're getting all of those things on a regular basis now. Once more I say that if the audience wants straightforward wrestling and related entertainment, prove it by watching NXT and/or Superstars. If WWE sees a lot of people have watched those shows on their website, they'll be more apt to do things like what's featured on those shows (which is usually quite good).

3. Moving on (thankfully), yes, changing hair color and tattoos and the like needs to be run by management first. This is very understandable. It wouldn't make sense on any other scripted show with characters, so to me it shouldn't fly in wrestling either.

4. Even when that whole controversy was brewing, people were saying it. But yeah, they're relaxing their controls over certain things lately and giving more leeway. At least they're acknowledging that part of the equation.

5. Of all the questions one could ask and all the ways they can be asked, this is the one that was chosen. Not "why is Vince McMahon so obsessed with Twitter" or anything like that, but this. Anyway, I think a good deal of it is that they want to be seen as relevant, modern, and in-tune with pop culture as well as connecting to their audience in ways they weren't previously. They do push it way too much on TV (Twitter should be promoting the show and stories, not the other way around), but I like that they're trying to advertise and get their name out there in different ways.

There's nothing to add to 6 or 7, but I disagree with 8. He's not just dropping someone, he's forcefully rolling them forward to the mat from 6+ feet in the air. People really overdo this "worst ever" thing. The only finishers I can think of off the top of my head that I dislike are those that are basically just a regular move that plenty of others do given a special name, like a DDT with a taunt ahead of it suddenly being more devastating. I agree with them about the over thing.

9 is pretty interesting, and for 10, my guess is that it had to do with the cage ceiling being so low and him not being able to do the powerbomb like he normally would have.

WWE is part of a new personal injury lawsuit. Very unfortunate for that to have happened.

The Miz was interviewed in Cleveland. Very good stuff. I agree with him on the PG philosophy. Things like blood and weapons are "easy ways out" for performers to get over without working very hard. I also agree on UFC, but this isn't really the place for that.

Former WWE and WCW wrestler Sean O'Haire was arrested for battery. That's not good either. He's 40!!??

Finally, Natalya was interviewed about WWE '12 and more. She handled herself quite well there.I'd certainly like to see her face Trish as well.

That's all for Thursday's news. Later today I'll have Smackdown and Friday's news. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment