Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Smackdown thoughts - 4/20/12

This Smackdown is just 9 nights from Extreme Rules, where Sheamus faced Daniel Bryan in a 2 out of 3 falls match. What went down? Read on for my thoughts on the show as it happened.
Other than Khali, that's a pretty solid 6-man tag.

Daniel's pretty over in England. They've got to be careful with how they use him given that.

I like the cowardly heel going after someone for being "cowardly".

They're at a tough place with Bryan and Sheamus, since both should be elevated. Both men should be the stars WWE's looking to instead of the aging HHH, Taker, etc..

Solid promo as always by the delusional Bryan. The difference between 2012 Bryan and 2010 Bryan is huge.

Full-on jerk mode with Bryan. AJ fits the sympathetic girl-next-door role to a T.

What Bryan did to AJ is called "Breaking the Cutie".

AJ's like a chihuahua - small but vicious when provoked.

I hope Del Rio makes Show tap. The sooner Show's off my screen, the better.

Sandow can talk. If he wrestles that well, he'll be pretty hot right out of the gate.

Hunico went from being Sin Cara's replacement to not getting an entrance. And they wonder why new guys don't get over.

And while we're at it, Brodus Clay went from tearing people apart in squash matches on Superstars to this goofiness. The gimmick's a guilty pleasure of mine, and certainly seems over with the crowd, but what does it say about wrestling in 2012?

Part of me thinks Clay ticked someone off backstage and that's why he has to work with Hornswoggle and other goofy stuff.

Speaking of people who aren't doing anything, when's Camacho going to have a match that isn't a battle royal?

A Gangrel sign might not be the most random part of this match, and that's saying something.

Hornswoggle should team with Little Jimmy.

That match was something alright... I guess if it makes money I can live with it.

Darren and Titus seem more comfortable working together in less serious roles. I'm not sure how's working with them now who wasn't on NXT, but there was definitely a difference in how they came across there.

I wonder if Orton's dad will need a cast after that beatdown (old school reference!).

The endgame of Orton/Kane should be further making Orton into a top-tier moneymaker, since he likely has more "gas in the tank" career wise.

The Usos' entrance getting cut makes me wonder what went long.

If there are only a few tag teams, they eventually have to be champs. Right?

I like seeing "young and up-and-coming talent", especially if it means less of the guys who have done the same thing for years.

As I thought would be the case, Darren's doing more of the work early.

I never thought I'd hear this much discussion of NXT on Smackdown given that the show pretty much "doesn't exist" a lot of times in WWE's eyes.

Darren continues to be impressive at the "nuts and bolts" of wrestling.

A LITTLE clunky in places, but overall I like the first outing of these two as a team on Smackdown. More of this from Darren and I'll have a better opinion of him.

I hope they bring up the time Del Rio's car ran over Show.

I wish they would do to/for Big Show what they did for Kane. Give him a couple months off and have him return fresh and rejuvenated. In the meantime, they can get some new faces over.

Del Rio's pretty impressive in the ring. I hope there are more like him coming through the ranks in FCW.

Show's impressive in his own sense as well. He's still "got it" to some degree, though obviously he's not doing dropkicks anymore.

Del Rio winning with Rhodes' help works for me. It's not Big Show going over.

I like that WWE makes the Superstars look tougher than the regular wrestlers who pass through.

Slater would know who tough the former Nexus member is. Ryback is built, for sure.

Ryback "Goldbergs" another guy. If they play this right and have a long-term plan, he could get a lot of hype. I hope they don't rush it.

Another video package to skip.

Cesaro's a pretty smooth talker, but it could just be his reputation preceding him. If you want to see more of this guy, look up his ROH work as Claudio Castagnoli.

Cole jumping on the "Yes" bandwagon wasn't an entertaining as I was hoping. Part of me wants him to yell it out like JR yelling "Stone Cold".

I've given up on criticizing Smackdown's commentary. What else is there to say? It's inconsistent.

Clever start to the main event. And not just because it might mean no Khali.

Two Big Show matches in one night? Damn it.

If Rhodes is a loser, what does that make Booker, who lost to him in IC Title matches? I hate Booker's commentary sometimes.

WWE commentary IS about telling stories, not play by play, etc.. That's an edict straight from the top.

Hell of a counter to the Disaster Kick.

Good work by the heels.

Kind of ironic having a Rhodes use the Figure 4.

Gotta keep Big Show strong...

Henry vs. Sheamus for the Title someday please.

That's a wrap for the 4/20 Smackdown. The 4/20, 4/21, and 4/22 news posts are up next. Raw hopefully tomorrow. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment