Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Superstars and Impact Wrestling thoughts - 4/19/12

On the 4/19 edition of Superstars, former World Heavyweight and ECW Champion shows how consistent WWE is with pushes by competing on an international and web-only show against R-Truth. Then, on the 4/19 Impact Wrestling we get the fallout from TNA Lockdown with Bobby Roode, James Storm, and Garett Bischoff. Kurt Angle faces AJ Styles, and Hulk Hogan has an announcement! Read on for my thoughts on the shows as they happen.
A Japanese wrestler facing an Indian wrestler in England. Very interesting.

I like the different attire for Jinder.

I wonder if WWE will ever do anything between Yoshi and Sakomoto (Tensai's manager). He could also hypothetically team with FCW's Jiro, but I don't know how "ready" Jiro is.

Was Striker making reference to Superstars being taped before NXT? I don't really care for that.

Two talented superstars who aren't really doing much. Not that I think either are ready for title feuds or anything.

I was impressed by Jinder here. Theoretically if he's given time to grow inside and out of the ring, he'll be someone to watch out for in due time. He doesn't wrestle like he's 25, that's for sure.

I like Striker's nicknames and metaphors. I wish he was on commentary for Raw or Smackdown.

Kelly can be pretty impressive at times.

Eve's doing pretty well herself.

Eve's got a legit Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu background.

That's one way to win a match.

I don't really know why, but the Little Jimmy thing cracks me up inside. It could just be how well R-Truth incorporates it.

Interesting commentary about Little Jimmy.

So far, so good.

What would Little Jimmy tweet about?

I keep thinking of Biff Tannen when I see Swagger.

Good back-and-forth here.

Both of these guys are impressive and are pretty much just lacking a push.

Good technical acumen from Swagger.

I kind of wanted Swagger to win as the significantly younger guy.

On to Impact Wrestling.

Good emotional package for Lockdown.

I like the haircut for Roode, and that he's selling the effects of Lockdown.

It seems like Roode's been champ a good while now.

Not getting the happy ending at Lockdown feels very backwards.

Not sure how I feel about Roode vs. Anderson, though I guess the alternative is Roode vs. RVD, so I guess I can live with it.

Hardy's already gotten a number of shots at Roode's title, so I don't see much reason going down that path again. What's left to accomplish?

Meh. I continue to be kind of lukewarm on TNA and its characters. The major announcement needs to be just that.

I wish TNA had more wrestlers and characters like Austin Aries compared to, say, Garett Bischoff and Gunner.

I think I'd be ok if the announcement was stripping everyone of the titles and "starting TNA over" with some tournaments or something. Just something to make the product fresh.

Good work on the leg by the heels.

TNA goes from taking a shot at Lawler to name-dropping Mil Mascaras. Yeah, they definitely have a preoccupation with the WWE Hall of Fame.

Impressive work by Aries, who clearly has the most pep in this match.

And a good ending. They should be building sympathy for Aries as one of the seemingly few up-and-coming, fresh acts in the company that people are getting behind.

I wonder what Jeff Jarrett thought of the ending with the guitar.

Garett's so over with the crowd that they're chanting for RVD.

I wonder what Van Dam, Styles, and Anderson think of playing second-fiddle to Bischoff.

An Eric Bischoff party. Joy! At least they didn't have Flair aware of the fact that his promo was being censored, since that would break the fourth wall.

Of course Flair will be drinking at it. He just might not be picking up the tab.

Kazarian looks even goofier with his hair short.

There was a time when I'd be pretty excited to see Styles vs. Angle. As it is, the appeal's kind of worn off since I've seen it a number of times in the past when both were younger and fresher.

I could not care much less about what's in Styles' envelope, unless it's a personality or release paperwork.

It took that long for Abyss' brother to think to talk to the guy who was last in a match with him?

Roode vs. RVD's at least something that hasn't been done to death.

I like Open Fight Night already! Maybe it leads to some dead weight getting tossed to even the roster up.

I also like the social media aspect.

I don't remember the last time the TV Title was defended like that. WCW?

Titles being defended too much means they don't mean as much. Why pay to see title defenses when there will be some on TV for free? That said, TNA needs a boost in ratings.

Gut Check is good for me, too. Maybe someone can break through.

They're throwing every Knockout in this match, aren't they?

I don't think Sting does house shows.

This match feels like filler for some reason, but it's not bad.

Glad Tessmacher got the pin. I think she's my favorite Knockout because I haven't seen her wrestle countless times and she has personality/spunk.

I don't think I'm ever going to enjoy EY/ODB segments.

TV Title matches I might feel differently about.

Part of me thinks it's too early to take the title off of Devon, but I think the need to push non-Attitude Era guys will eventually make me say it's time for him to drop it. He's in amazing shape, though.

I'm impressed by Devon here. He's still "got it" for sure.

I wonder who they're building Devon up to face, if anyone.

Good emotional promo by Storm.

One thing about all-babyface matches is who fans are supposed to pull for.

It's hard to tell when Hardy's mentally ok and when it's Victory Road 2011.

I'm saying this with no knowledge of how this match turns out, but I'm thinking maybe we're in for a Fatal 4 Way at Sacrifice.

So that's what "RVD will be back in a top-flight position" meant. Well, some ECW die-hards are liking that he'll headline Sacrifice. I don't dislike RVD. I'm just kind of ready for something new. 

I wonder if there's going to be anything coming from Hardy being frustrated at the loss.

That's all for the 4/19 Superstars and Impact Wrestling. The 4/20 Smackdown should be up tomorrow. A news post will be up soon. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment