Total Pageviews

Friday, July 31, 2015

Main Event and Smackdown Reax - 7/30/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Main Event and Smackdown.

Main Event:
- Neville vs. Barrett:
Neville's a really solid performer. I wish he had the charisma and personality to match his in-ring abilities. He could be the next Y2J or RVD if he did.

I do think Neville gets unnecessarily flippy at times. It's impressive, but doesn't seem like something someone would do in a "real" match.

Both men were quite impressive there. It's a shame the KotR lost again, but obviously WWE likes Neville and doesn't want to hurt his momentum.

Pretty good stuff from Becky Lynch. I wish she would have gotten another six months or so in NXT to get at the level of Sasha or Charlotte, but I think she's still a fine addition to the main roster.

- Dallas vs. Ryder:
Not a bad undercard match at all. I enjoy both men in their roles.

- Brie vs. Lynch:
Becky's working the arm quite well. Glad we're getting to see what she can do.

I think they're playing off each other well. Brie's experience in the WWE style is helping Becky along.

Really good stuff all around. It was time for a change in the Divas' division. They're more fired up now.

Smackdown:
God, Rollins is going hard with this promo. I do think the critics of his title run have been pretty dismissive of him. I really doubt we've seen the last of him in the title picture after this reign.

Gloating about breaking someone's nose is pretty sadistic.

Good start for Smackdown. The people who want to see the likes of Cesaro headline Raw definitely need to tune in when they do big things on Smackdown. Ratings are part of how WWE determines whom to push.

- Rollins vs. Cesaro:
This is a treat from a wrestling standpoint.

That was good for an opening match to set up more between Cesaro and Rollins (and Owens).

I'm trying to think how hard I would have marked if Jack Swagger and Zeb Colter came out to save Cesaro.

Another really good New Day promo. They all work together well.

- Ascension/New Day vs. Matadores/Dragons:
The second Sin Cara is much smoother in the ring than the first. He's great.

Kalisto is a firecracker, too.

I think that was pretty good overall. WWE's doing a pretty good job with tag teams right now. There are some promising acts in NXT, as well.

I suspect we're in for tag team turmoil at Summerslam. Works for me.

Owens carries himself like someone you don't want to cross. The ass-kickings he handed out in NXT help his legitimacy, too.

Good to see Becky Lynch got some focus there. She's shown some real potential.

Nice Bray/Luke promo. The Wyatts/Shield feud was something really special.

God Rusev is one evil guy. Trading your old girlfriend for a girl who looks and dresses like her, and naming your dog after your ex's new man is some Playerhaters' Ball level shit. Ziggler better come back pissed.

- Rusev vs. Swagger:
Swagger's got some great amateur skills. I wish there was something more to do with the guy.

Rusev's quite impressive, too. Good match.

I didn't expect Swagger to avoid being the victim there.

Ballsy face promo by Cesaro. I hope they get behind him as a singles guy.

- Stardust vs. Truth:
Not a bad match for the time it had. I wonder how much more they can get out of the Stardust character. I imagine people said the same thing about Goldust's character, and he keeps going, so we'll see.

Good post-match. Stardust's promos are more interesting than post-mask Cody Rhodes, so I can't complain there.

Pretty intense promo from Sheamus. I think he's been underrated and underutilized.

- Owens/Rollins vs. Cesaro/Ambrose:
Look at the four men headlining Smackdown. That's an impressive collection of former indie names.

This has been quite good so far! All of them have some real credibility as athletes.

These guys can really turn it up a notch without it being TOO spotfesty.

Really good match. I was impressed by all of them.

Nice post-match, too. I'm all for this new generation stepping up and getting a bigger role.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment