Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Raw Reax - 7/13/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Raw.

I'm incredibly hyped for Brock's PPV return. I wish they took the "less is more" approach with more talents, and rotated some people elsewhere. Some people could get time off to come back refreshed, and others could get do some retooling in the WWEPC.

Brock has been a really impressive beast. They've got to be careful with how they book him at Battleground.

Rollins has been holding his own with promos and matches since winning the title. Yes, there's a lot of interference in them, but that's more on the booking than him as a talent.

Good opening segment overall. It's weird to think of Corporate Kane as the same guy who was all "hellfire and brimstone."

- Orton/Ryback vs. Sheamus/Big Show:
I'm not a big fan of the idea that even powerhouses need to have an impressive aerial move in their arsenal. It's fine for some wrestlers (and works well for someone like Kevin Owens), but it's like the unwritten rule is "to get people cheering for you, do a highspot."

I liked the counter of a chokeslam into a DDT. Orton's quite the worker.

Not a bad match at all, other than Ryback more or less no-selling the KO punch from Show.

There's an alternate universe where all contract signings end with people shaking hands like gentlemen and wishing each other good luck.

I liked the Reigns/Wyatt segment for what it was. I'm not looking forward to the constant complaining that Reigns isn't good/ready enough if he's headed to the main event of Summerslam. I don't think he's great, but I think we should probably give him a chance to grow into the role of WWE Champion. Since I've started watching WWE, I can think of a number of people I didn't think were "ready" to be champion their first time who ended up fine: Orton, Cena, Edge, Punk, and Bryan all come to mind. It didn't take long post-title win for me to end up endorsing some of them as legitimate champions.

I hope we're not in for several years of the Bellas as the "John Cenas" of the division. They're already overexposed.

Why is Stephanie suddenly a face now? She was a big part of the Brie/Nikki feud last year, and routinely emasculates Daniel Bryan.

WHOA. Didn't expect Becky to be called up so soon. She's pretty good, although it feels like she's just now making her mark in NXT.

Very glad to see Charlotte on the main roster. It's about damn time.

%&#$**#@!!!! Great to see Sasha make her main roster debut. I've really grown to like her, and she's done awesome stuff against Charlotte (and Becky for that matter).

Clustermess time! It's an all-out Divas war.

I don't really know who's face and who's heel in this feud, but I'm glad to see the three NXT Divas make their mark. There's going to be some real pressure for some new Divas to make their marks down in NXT with those three being called up.

New Day go for some pretty cheap heat at times, but it's effective and entertaining.

It's cool to see Henry in this match, as I think he's taken some of these people under his wing.

- New Day vs. PTP/Henry:
I'm enjoying this six-man so far. Henry's in kind of a supporting role here, which is fine.

Not a bad ending sequence. I didn't expect the faces to win going into the title defense, but I'm not really complaining.

- Barrett vs. Truth:
I think I could not see this matchup again for a year and be fine. They can both work well, but it's been done to death.

Not a bad match, but I'm ready for this feud to end. Just book the gimmick match to blow it off already. I also think Barrett's probably lost clean more than he needed to.

Cena vs. Rusev works for me! And we didn't need a long Cena talking segment to set the match up!

The promos here weren't great, but it set up what could be a pretty good match.

- Cesaro vs. Owens vs. Rusev:
All three of these men are great wrestlers, so this should be something.

Not much to say here other than the action is great.

Holy shit all three of these guys are doing solid stuff. This wouldn't look out of place in ROH.

Owens powdering out was a little disappointing, but I'm sure he'll make up for it Sunday.

Cesaro is great at being the babyface in peril fighting for a comeback here.

One hell of a match.

Isn't Cena wrestling Rusev after a grueling match kind of a heel move? That's the whole point of MITB, right?

- Cena vs. Rusev:
The action there was pretty good to set up Battleground. Can we get Rusev vs. Cesaro then, too?

Poor Rusev!

I don't care about any of these jabronis. Can Kevin Owens beat them up, too?

I liked Stardust's promo. He's been missed, but it made sense for him to get some time off given what happened.

I really hope we're seeing the end of the battle for the KotR crown on Sunday.

- Neville vs. Stardust:
I'm liking this so far. Both men are really good athletes. They might should slow it down a hair (as JR always says), though.

I liked that match overall. I'm sure some will complain about Neville losing, but he's hardly dropping to Jack Swagger's level.

I hope Rollins is still slated into important things post-Battleground/Summerslam.

I think Heyman's body of work as a manager would be enough to get him in the HoF, not to mention the whole ECW thing.

I enjoy Brock just destroying people. He doesn't need to hit 50 superkicks and suicide dives to get over.

Pretty fun ending segment overall. I think the only way Rollins retains is him getting some new associates to save him. That idea has potential.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment