Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 2, 2015

ROH and NXT Reax - 7/1/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's ROH and NXT.

ROH:
- The Addiction vs. Gedo/Okada
I like how The Addiction add some flavor to their matches by setting a pace and doing some real heel tactics. A lot of the people on this show haven't picked that idea up yet.

This has been a pretty good match between some experienced performers.

Daniels' fake-out of doing a springboard move was good. The heels shouldn't be trying to get the crowds to cheer for them with cool moves.

Good use of a submission by Kazarian. They should be more than "rest holds."

I'm pretty impressed by both teams here. It's good to see some top NJPW guys in action.

Great match overall.

Fine post-match, I guess. It would have been good to have a video package or promo or something to set up why this match is important beyond "great athletes are having a match."

- Page vs. Watanabe:
I like Watanabe so far. A good story between The Decade and Watanabe.

That was a good match. I'm growing to like The Decade gimmick.

- Cole vs. Styles:
Cole and Styles are doing well. A lot of ROH wrestlers are really generic personality-wise, I'm noticing.

I can see why WWE's rumored to be interested in Cole. He's got a good base of skills. I'd personally love for him to be managed by Michael as a heel, but I see no way that happens. I doubt he'd even keep that last name. And Cole's the most tolerable of the current Raw announcers.

Damn. Cole and Styles are pretty impressive.

The super kick is used so much it's not even "super" anymore. But they're telling a good story here with Cole selling the offense he's received.

Really solid match overall. I think Cole's more or less earned my praise.

NXT:
Nice piece to sell tonight's main event. That's a pretty stacked match.

I would have liked some promos from the teams, even if it was the little inset promos they use on the main shows.

While Wilder and Dawson are both billed from NC, they're from opposite ends of the state (six hours apart). The mountains of the state are very different from beach life!

- Vaudevillains vs. Mechanics:
I love Gotch and English doing an old-school gimmick. They stand out from the pack at a time when others try to do that by doing a particular flippy move no one else has done yet.

Meanwhile, Dawson and Wilder are two rough dudes. I like seeing it.

That ending was a little flat, but I'm glad to see some new teams in the spotlight.

It's a good thing Becky only has to miss a few weeks. I'm excited to see her future. I'm split on whether she should be the next babyface Diva called up after Charlotte or if Bayley should. The other should definitely be NXT Women's Champion.

I can see why Tucker Knight has been confused with Bull Dempsey. I would have believed Jojo id she introduced him under that name. They're going to do a gimmick where they get confused backstage, aren't they? I'd love to see Bull try Twin Magic, but be too out-of-shape to pull it off.

- Corbin vs. Knight:
Another quick match by Corbin. He's not going to get any better if he's just doing squashes.

Next week's tag match should be pretty cool.

I think Finn Balor could be a big hit with the comic-con crowd. I look forward to his main roster days.

I actually read a bit about Finn MacCool at some point. That's a cool combination of names.

Performing for TV is different from wrestling in front of "smarks" on the indie scene. It takes some practice, and that's why the IWC favorites don't go right to the main roster.

These videos have been good to establish who Balor is and why we should care. I hope he leads NXT to great things as champion.

Sara Del Rey sighting! I'm fine with Eva Marie coming to NXT to improve. The other options are pretty much "paying her to do nothing as a wrestler" or "keeping her on the main roster," so maybe we should give her a chance?

I'm enjoying Emma as a heel a good deal. She's been a great veteran presence here.

Carmella's growing on me as a character.

- Emma vs. Carmella:
Emma establishing herself as a heel early was good, as was her playing off the chants.

Carmella has certainly spent some more time in the ring, but progress can be a slow process.

Carmella just threw some of the worst punches I've ever seen. I wouldn't blame someone for making a gif out of it.

Emma schooled Carmella there. I hope she keeps working to improve.

I was worried WWE would have to pay for a new snack machine.

Cool Balor video. I'm excited for Independence Day.

Jordan and Gable are still a little awkward from a personality perspective. The obvious answer is to give them a manager. Zeb Colter's my pick.

- Breeze vs. Dillinger:
Dillinger's growing on me and finally showing some personality in the ring. I really want him to name his finisher the Dillinger Escape Plan. I guess he has to win a match first, though.

Fine match there. It didn't do much to get Breeze any more ready for the main roster, but I didn't dislike it. It was good to see Tye show us more of what he's about, so that was worth it.

I mostly liked the backstage Divas' segment, although Dana is still mediocre as a speaker. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Sasha in the ring.

I wonder who the next veteran to come to NXT will be. Rhyno's been a good addition.

- Balor/Joe vs. Rhyno/Owens:
I'm very glad Joe is in NXT rather than ROH. I hope the same will be true for Austin Aries.

Owens using Cena's signature "moves of doom" is great. He plays the prick really well.

Great sequence of moves between Owens and Balor. Balor did more or less no-sell the "no longer super" kick, though.

That was a pretty good ending to set up the July 4th special. Owens took a gore and a coup de grace, so he was more or less protected.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment