Total Pageviews

Monday, July 20, 2015

ROH and NXT Reax - 7/22/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's ROH and NXT.
ROH:
Looks like we won't be seeing that AJ/Joe vs. Addiction match. That's a shame, because that's a really big match for ROH.

Kind of funny to see highlights from a match featuring three people who now work for WWE.

I think this is a good episode to show people what ROH is all about. It would have been good to do some sort of DA debut special last month, even if it was just a clip show like this.

I don't care all that much about Veda Scott vs. Stokely Hathaway, but Moose's rise would be a good story if they told it consistently. I guess I'm spoiled by all the video packages WWE does on people to have them matter more.

A lot of those DBD matches have very little in the way of heat. It feels like they're just throwing people on the card to get them a workday, knowing the fans just want to see a bunch of wrestling. "I'm a better wrestler than you, and I'm going to win our match" is really dull.

- House of Truth vs. Briscoes/Strong/ODB:
The Briscoes are growing on me. I don't know how well they'd fit in in the big leagues, but they've obviously got experience.

There was some good wrestling mixed in with some levity. This didn't really come off like a heated brawl if that's what they were going for, but it was OK.

NXT:
It's weird to see Balor calm and in a suit after seeing him as the Demon.

It's definitely a big win for WWE to have had Balor jump from NJPW.

I don't remember the last time someone had a first six months as big as Kevin Owens did. The only names that come close that come to mind are Kharma and Daniel Bryan (although the latter is only on the list because he headlined Summerslam).

Kind of a stilted promo from Eva Marie. She definitely needs more practice there. I like the robe, though.

- Eva Marie vs. Cassie:
Putting Eva in there with someone even greener than her is probably not the best move. I'd like to see at least one more veteran Diva join Emma in NXT.

I don't want to be too harsh with someone who hasn't had many matches, but a long submission spot for the sake of it brings the match down. It should be integrated with the overall package of offense, like working on the arm because your finisher hits there.

Cassie's showing some spunk. I think she's starting off well.

Eva and Cassie both need more work. But, hey, they're working the kinks out.

I would have loved if Regal had been talking to Liger on the phone just then, and that conversation ended up setting up the Takeover match.

- Corbin vs. Some Max Moon Looking Guy:
It took longer for me to come up with a nickname for this guy than for Corbin to win it. They need to come up with something new for Baron to do.

Joe's new music isn't as bad. It doesn't set up how big of a badass he is, though.

- Joe vs. Rallis:
Joe vs. Rhyno should be pretty good. I'm sure they faced off in TNA, and I know NXT should be about developing the next stars, but I look forward to it nonetheless.

It's hard to watch the musclebuster without cringing now.

Emma's certainly more entertaining as a heel in NXT than she was on the main roster as a face, although I really enjoyed that, too.

Dana Brooke seems to be getting better with promos. She's now second-lowest on the ladder with Eva Marie around.

Honestly, Bayley would be fine on the main roster alongside the other callups. But it makes sense not to bring up pretty much half the division.

- Bayley vs. Emma:
The stuff with the slap bracelet was pretty genius. Emma's got some really good psychology.

I'm warming up to Dana as Emma's sidekick.

Bayley as NXT Women's Champion is going to be a thing after Takeover, right? She can face Emma, Dana, Alexa Bliss, and Eva Marie for the belt. Obviously those later names need some more experience.

Good ending.

Bayley vs. Charlotte leading to Bayley vs. Sasha works for me. Both of them can help her get to a higher level.

Charlotte vs. Dana Brooke makes more sense than Charlotte vs. Sasha. Using the veterans to help out the newcomers in their last few appearances is smart.

- Vaudevillains vs. Dawkins/Fulton:
I'm impressed with Gotch here. I like both of these teams' gimmicks.

That should be quite the tag team title match next week.

Impressive double-team by the former amateurs.

Not a bad tag match at all. It's good to see teams other than the champs and Enzo/Cass.

Alexa continues to add to the tag team champions' act.

I like that Owens doesn't even dress up for contract signings.

Owens is such a smooth talker.

I'd love to read what they put in those contracts after that one leaked online.

Looking forward to Takeover.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment