Total Pageviews

Monday, July 25, 2011

Correction to Smackdown house show stories, Queries on Trish Stratus and ECW returning, Kaitlyn talks dieting on the road, Photos and video of C.M. Punk's indy show appearance, Questions on Joey Styles' announcing return, Flair's legacy, Punk vs. Taker, handling finances, and the Punk angle (again), more Hogan from Comic-Con, and a Rikishi interview

First off, I have a correction to make to a story I posted last night. Melina was NOT at Smackdown's house show. It was Rosa Mendes who was involved in the Divas angle and match. Apparently the person/people who sent in the house show reports had the two of them confused. I don't believe the announcers mentioned who she was, since she interrupted a fan dance competition which led to an "impromptu" match.

On to some queries sent in to the blog recently:
1. I haven't seen anything about Trish Stratus returning to the ring any time soon, even as a one-off return. I would be HUGELY surprised if she made a full-time comeback. A relatively brief angle that doesn't require house show appearances might happen (like what led to this year's WrestleMania), but there hasn't been any word about that being in the works (which doesn't mean that it isn't; it just means I haven't seen anything on it).

2. I also haven't seen anything about WWE bringing back the ECW brand, as much as part of me would like them to. They probably don't care enough to change NXT or Superstars at the moment (since neither air in the U.S.; they only changed ECW to NXT because of pressure from SyFy), and I don't see why they'd want to add it to their taping schedule with no one to air it, so it'll likely remain on mothballs.

After the break, I'll go into all of the day's news and PWInsider.com questions.

Kaitlyn has a new blog on Hardbody.com, detailing her (successful) recent experience with the "Caveman Diet". Good for her! I'm glad that she's dedicated to improving as a Diva.

There are photos and video of C.M. Punk's AAW appearance.

On to PWInsider.com's Sunday questions:
1. It was for a match between Ultimate Warrior (well, a doll of him) and the Ultimate Broski (Zack Ryder in Warrior-inspired garb) on Ryder's Youtube show. Curt Hawkins was the referee, and Justin Roberts was the ring announcer. This actually happened.

2. To some degree, his current actions play right into his persona of being a big spender. I think that certainly the part of the audience that knows of Flair's recent trouble will at least partially remember him for that. I think it's split on whether people will remember him for only the highs of his career or some of his later works that aren't up to that level. There will likely be some of both. I was actually a pretty big Flair fan during his most recent WWE run, and there've been times in TNA where I've liked his work, too, but the outside-the-ring stuff kind of sours my perception on him to a degree.

3. I think there could very well be money in that idea if it's done right, but I don't think Punk (or anyone for that matter) should end the streak. I've thoroughly enjoyed Punk's WWE run, but him going over The Undertaker at WrestleMania's a pretty big stretch. As big of a deal as the streak's become, I don't think someone who's only been a serious contender for a few years now would be credible enough. That's not a knock on Punk. Taker's been a big deal for somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 years. There are only a few people on the roster who can even come close to competing with that.

4. I'm pretty sure they teach "don't spend more money than you make" a long time before college. At least, I hope they do. That would explain Congress though...

5. It's not a complete work (I doubt WWE would let him appear at an indy show while under contract), but it's obviously not a complete shoot either. It has been a good deal of fun following to see how much falls under which category, though.

Here's another interview with Hulk Hogan promoting Saint's Row The Third.

Rikishi has another interesting interview up. I like that the Usos get to do something unique with their entrance. Too Cool and Rikishi got over pretty darn well back in the day with their gimmick. That's one thing wrestling could use more of these days, exciting characters with personality. As for the "running over Stone Cold" angle, I think that's one of the biggest stories fans remember from the Attitude Era. That's another thing wrestling could use more of... reasons for people to fight/feud other than "you have the title and I want it, then you get a rematch when you lose". WCW's biggest buyrate ever was for Hogan vs. Sting at Starrcade. People wanted to see Sting finally get his hands on Hogan for the title as WCW's savior fought the leader of the nWo. It didn't need to be a catch-as-catch-can classic or feature tons of moves/spots. It was the story that sucked people in. Anyway, moving on...

That's all for Sunday's news. More to come tomorrow. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment