Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Superstars and Impact Wrestling thoughts- 7/7/11

Today on WWE Superstars, Smackdown's Divas face off as Natalya faces Alicia Fox. Then, on Impact Wrestling, Mr. Anderson gets an ultimatum from Immortal. Also, Crimson faces off with Bobby Roode in a Bound For Glory Series match, Velvet Sky goes up against the team of ODB and Jackie, and in a Destination X preview, we get a four-way clash between AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Rob Van Dam, and Jerry Lynn. All this and more tonight! Read on for my thoughts on the shows as they happen.
I hope McIntyre gets another shot at doing something important sooner or later. Talk about lost in the shuffle.

Drew's got some unique offense. There's got to be a spot for this guy on Raw.

Loved the counter to the Rough Ryder.

And speaking of counters! That was cool. I really hope we get a rematch from these two.

So, wait, I guess the match is official now despite the contract shenanigans? Confusing.

I was kind of hoping for either a backstage vignette or ringside appearances by the partners of these 2 Divas to continue their feud. The matches mean more when they're pushed as part of the storyline.

Built like a Lego... that's a new one.

Natalya's a solid competitor. As much as I want AJ and Kaitlyn to get ring time to see how much they're improving, I think Natalya's earned a spot in the upper echelon of the Division.

Maybe at some point we'll see Natalya face AJ and Kaitlyn (not that they should derail the current feud to do it) so I'll get both my wishes.

Wow, really? That felt like an upset for sure. I wasn't crazy about Fox's performance here.

That weave/we've pun was actually pretty clever.

Poor Wade. This guy was a credible WWE Title contender, darn it!

I hope Barrett clobbers him. I think he could be a big deal with the right push.

Not a bad squash match. Maybe step one in making him a serious contender again?

Looks like we're ending things with a recap again. At least it's not a movie ad.

On to Impact Wrestling.

Despite his recent wins, Gunner still looks somewhat out of place with Bully Ray and Steiner. It's tough to compete with that many years of credibility.

The big World Title match next week is between Anderson and Sting. But, most of this feud has been about Hogan and the rest of Immortal.

I don't even know who is and isn't in Immortal right now. Since Matt Hardy isn't at the taping, he's not part of the match.

Gunner wasn't too bad on the mic there. He's still a work in progress, but at least they're going with some new blood.

Sting continues to have really crazy facepaint.

So-so backstage segment. My complaints about the camera are a broken record at this point. I still have them, though.

I like them making the house shows important. It's a little weird having them do (for instance) Crimson vs. RVD on a house show being promoted on TV. It takes some out of them clashing on TV or PPV knowing they've done it before.

I'm a bit surprised they had Crimson go down so early in the match, as to some degree he's a monster.

That spot from the outside of the ring inside was pretty cool.

I say Crimson wins due to Roode's arm, which would be fine by me.

Nice match. It's a simple philosophy: guys who can go, have them go.

Red Sky is a reference to D'Lo Brown's Sky High finisher.

That didn't give me much for a reason to case about Nese.

I kind of assumed that Abyss would keep the mask in his luggage or something.

That's certainly an interesting development. It's a shame we'll probably just get another oddball promo from Kendrick.

At least this X-Division guy has some personality.

Why doesn't Abyss use one of his older masks? He doesn't have spares?

I'm kind of surprised they've gone this long without Abyss losing his mask in a match or something.

So-so segment. Didn't really make me want to see them face off on Sunday. They could probably have done the same thing with Abyss as face and Kendrick as heel up until Abyss destroyed him.

Wow, that's actually pretty cool from Evans.

Evans looks like he could have been the 3rd member of Kendrick and London's group in WWE.

Evans almost didn't make it in time there. It would have been pretty funny if the referee got to 3 before the moonsault hit and he lost for trying to be fancy.

That was a pretty cool finisher. I like seeing some crazy flippiness every once in a while, and we got plenty of it here.

My first guess for Williams' opponent was Desmond Wolfe, but that feels like a longshot. 

I actually halfway forgot that Shannon Moore was still on the roster.

Wait, if Velvet wins, ODB and Jackie are eliminated from TNA? Cool.

This is the most I've cared about Sting in years. Glad that they're doing something new and interesting with the character.

Are there any upbeat, happy wrestlers in the Knockout Division? Everyone's always talking about skanks and bitches or showing off their sexuality.

Maybe Chavo Guerrero can come to TNA and recreate his feud with Jackie?

Why do I get the feeling this isn't the last we'll see ODB and Jackie?

Nice reference to Devon's old Dudley Boys glasses.

Well then, I guess Jerry still has some gas in the tank after all.

I don't think I've ever seen that armdrag spot before.

I think that RVD and Lynn might just be able to pull the rabbit out of the hat one more time on Sunday.

Not a bad match by any stretch. I wish we got to see more of this instead of some of the less mobile wrestlers.

"Impact Television Champion". Interesting. Part of me's interested in Young's possible storyline, and part of me's kind of worried.

Maybe Pope can convince him to bring back the Reverend D-Von character.

Pope's pretty entertaining here.

This is almost a 4 corners match in its own right.

Well, that was weird. I like this story to a degree, though.

I thought Anderson was telling the cameraman not to talk down to him for a bit there. That could have been made clearer had he namedropped Bully Ray BEFORE spouting off.

I wonder what Mexican America thinks of the Jarretts being there.

It'll be interesting to see how well Destination X does buyrate-wise.

That was kind of weird, too.

I was half expecting Anderson to turn down the tag and join Immortal in beating up Angle (isn't he #1 Contender now?).

Ok then, I guess we got both options.

Now we start the clock on Anderson turning on Immortal again I suppose? I'm not buying them being on the same page for long.

That's all for Thursday's wrestling. I'll be back for Smackdown tomorrow. A news post will be up later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment