Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Punk updates, Jarrett Q&A, Questions on TNA being TV-MA, WWE using WCW footage, and Rhodes vs. DiBiase, JBL talks Russo, more wrestling at Comic-Con, Rock working on second book, WWE cancels house show, Raw stars added to Smackdown show, Sarita back in action, Swagger and Zach Gowen interviews, UFC boss at WWE HQ, and Sin Cara discusses his suspension

C.M. Punk has been removed from the WWE roster page as part of his ongoing angle.

Jeff Jarrett talked a good deal about his career in a Q&A in Delaware. I agree that his series with Kurt Angle has been some of, if not his downright best, work of his career. He's right on about negative reactions.

PWInsider.com has new questions up. I don't have anything to add to 1, so I'll go to 2 first:
2. I think they'd lose a number of sponsors by going TV-MA, and there'd be a good chunk of the potential audience who wouldn't be able to see the show because of technology that blocks that rating. I don't know if Spike would be ok with that or not. I know Spike won't let them show man-on-woman violence. I really don't see much of a benefit for them going much higher than TV-14. I don't think they should be as "PG" as WWE, but the main issue is whether the content is good (and can draw money) moreso than how adult it is I think. Cursing and blood don't necessarily make something better or worse in my book.

Nothing to add to 3, but for 4, it seems like they generally do more DVDs on names who've done more in WWE anyway. They do use footage from other companies when they think the DVD would be benefited by it. Rey Mysterio's new DVD has footage from both WCW and ECW.

After the break, I compare Cody Rhodes to Ted DiBiase and look at the rest of the day's news.

5. Rhodes has a little bit more experience for one. I think a major difference is that Rhodes has done pretty well with his recent work starting with the Dashing character, whereas DiBiase didn't seem to do as well playing off of his father's persona. Plus I'd say that Rhodes shows more in the ring. He's come a long way from teaming with Hardcore Holly.

JBL has a new blog on Facebook, which touches on wrestling in places. I personally find Russo's accent less palatable than JBL's and Ross', but the local dialect is more similar to the latter two's speech, so that could have something to do with it.

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper will be at Comic-Con on Friday.

The Rock is meeting with publishers about his second autobiography. Should be good.

WWE has canceled a 8/7/11 house sow in Reno, NV.

Rey Mysterio vs. The Miz has been added to Saturday's Smackdown house show. The sow will also feature Bret Hart as a guest referee in Randy Orton and Christian's World Title match.

Sarita is set to return to the ring for TNA on 7/21.

Jack Swagger had a Q&A promoting a Maryland house show. He got a heck of a push in FCW, so they obviously impressed them. Pretty good interview. He seems to have his head on straight. I hope we see more of him in the future.

On to someone who didn't have his head on straight for a while, Zach Gowen had an interview recently as well.

Here's something I didn't picture reading anytime soon: UFC head honcho Dana White met with Vince McMahon a few weeks back. I can't wait for the XFC! Seriously, though, this could very well have just been a social visit. If there's more to it, the story will surely come out soon.

The baseball announcer who referenced C.M. Punk and Joey Styles in his quitting rant recently spoke about the comparisons. Punk re-tweeted a link to it, so I imagine he's ok with him using that verbiage.

Sin Cara spoke to a newspaper in Mexico about his Wellness Policy-related suspension, attributing it to an injection into his knee which turned up as steroids. Apparently the treatment is common in Mexico. If that's what went down, I frankly feel quite stupid that I jumped the gun and blasted him for the suspension. I apologize for my initial comments. Hopefully this all works out for everyone in the end and he's able to provide many good things to WWE in the future.

C.M. Punk is also at San Diego's Comic-Con.

That's all for Wednesday's news. More to come tomorrow. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment