Total Pageviews

Friday, July 22, 2011

Superstars and Impact Wrestling thoughts- 7/21/11

Today, whenever WWE gets around to uploading WWE Superstars, we see the continuance of a Raw angle when Zack Ryder faces off with the WWE Tag Team Champions. His partner will be Santino Marella. Then, on Impact Wrestling, Sting continues his quest to take out Immortal. Also, the Bound For Glory Series rolls on as Rob Van Dam takes on Scott Steiner and Matt Morgan, Gunner, AJ Styles, and Samoa Joe face off in a ladder match. All this and plenty more to come. Read on for my thoughts on the shows as they happen.
Note: WWE's website didn't have Superstars up in enough time for me to catch it before Impact Wrestling. So, commentary on it was put in this article after watching Impact Wrestling.

That's better for Gabriel's music and look. Could still use work, but it's a step in the right direction.

Kidd's new look is good, too. A nice difference from the pink he wore as a face (and when he started off as a heel on the ECW brand).

Not a bad match at all, though the setup for the 450 Splash was a little underwhelming.

I'm not feeling the pigtails.

I like Natalya a good deal, so I'm ok with the lack of AJ and/or Kaitlyn in the ring for this match. And that means they'll have that much more experience for their next match.

We've got a running thing here with Alicia losing parts of her hair and now wardrobe.

Not so good of a match, at least from Alicia.

WWE's apparently not happy unless they have a new entrance song every week. This is just crazy. What was wrong with "We Are One"?

Ryder's making the most of his time in this match, for sure. Good for him.

That Rough Ryder spot was pretty cool. Fine match.

I wonder how many people have caught Ryder's YouTube show as a result of Superstars.

Nice promotion of the match to come.

Poor Primo. Talk about being in WWE purgatory.

Cool submission move from Primo. An innovative move here and there can add to a superstar, but it can be overdone.

Nice little match. I wish we saw got to see more from Primo. Raw's midcard feels a good deal more crowded than Smackdown's.

And, it's video package time again.

That's all for Superstars, onto Impact Wrestling:

I think Sting could be doing a big storyline with his character and feud that doesn't involve the World Title. They're kind of putting all their eggs in one basket here.

Angle vs. Sting for the title is a pretty big deal, though. I can't discount that.

That main event seems pretty one-sided.

If stupid phrases like "butt buddies" is what non-PG means to wrestling, I'll stick with Hornswoggle eating Skittles.

Steiner vs. RVD feels like a match from some sort of WCW vs. ECW fantasy game. Not something you really expect to see.

This match should be pushed as a big deal. It's two former World Champions competing for a chance to get another title reign on their resumes. Can they still get it done?

RVD can mostly still bring it. Steiner has a few tricks left in the arsenal.

I thought we were going to get another disputed ending for a second.

A feud between these two would be pretty interesting, come to think of it. I think they could do something with it.

Nothing about that look says Hardcore Country.

I'm not feeling Mickie as much as I did in WWE. Her character lately here is somewhat bland.

Actually, 3 of these 4 are here because WWE dropped them.

5 Knockouts Title reigns doesn't feel as impressive as it should.

Not bad heel promos, though something tells me we're headed towards Winter vs. Angelina. A Fatal 4 Way at the PPV would be cool.

I wasn't really crazy about any of those promos.

I like that they tied Sarita's injury into the angle. The "cellphone footage" thing's pretty corny, though.

That's a pretty weird facemask.

That match was kind of a car wreck. I liked Tessmacher's move towards the end, though.

I was unaware that this was a title match until the ending.

That tug-of-war spot was kind of lame.

We're seeing some flashes of the old Joe and Styles here.

So-so ladder match. Talk about your contrasting styles.

That Eric Young skit was bad and TNA should feel bad.

This feels more like an exhibition of moves than a match, as is typical in the X-Division.

Innovation for the sake of innovation here.

That was... kind of bad. It felt pretty awkward, especially some of the selling.

Haha, a Desmond Wolfe action figure.

That was one of the least convincing promos I've ever heard outside of FCW/NXT.

Could they make the fake crowd noise sound any more obviously piped-in?

I didn't care for Anarquia's promo.

Not a good promo from Storm either. There's a reason WWE has script-writers.

Another "meh" Knockouts segment. More returning faces that I didn't really miss.

This fight's gone on long enough.

I think you can only have so many comebacks in wrestling before it becomes a case of "really, them again?" I'm at that point with Traci. I don't even really dislike her work; I'm just ready for someone new to be involved in angles.

Another segment I didn't really care for, this time with Anderson and Bully Ray.

I didn't really feel that main event, either. All in all, I wasn't crazy about this show. It could just be me, though.

That's all for Thursday's wrestling. I'll be back tomorrow for Smackdown, and a news post will be up shortly. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment