Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Smackdown thoughts- 7/22/11

Five nights ago, Christian won the World Heavyweight Championship when Randy Orton was disqualified. But Orton can't let that distract him too much, because tonight he's in a street fight with the Big Red Machine Kane! Also on Sunday, Daniel Bryan got a somewhat surprising win in Money In The Bank to earn a guaranteed shot at the gold. How will the landscape change tonight on Smackdown? Read on for my thoughts on the show as it happens.
The World Title looks a little different there.

I hope we're not in for another 5 day title reign.

Orton going to the "back of the line" in the title hunt would be surprising.

Christian vs. Ezekiel Jackson should be interesting to see how highly they think of the latter.

I think a big showing here by Zeke could make him a legitimate World Title contender.

Zeke's doing fairly well here. I think Christian really can have a good match with just about anyone (and I don't mean that as a slight to Jackson).

I think even in the loss, Ezekiel moved up the ladder with his showing against the World Champion.

Playing Cole against Bryan here is only natural given their history.

I like Bryan's new gear, but the music's still cheesy.

As far as I know, Bryan's background is legitimate. At least the detached retina story I've heard before.

Actually, RVD and Mr. Kennedy announced their title shots in advance as well. Kennedy wanted it to be at WrestleMania, too.

Not a bad promo. I'm still not buying him as a main eventer, but that will take time.

The storyline with Heath Slater makes good sense. Slater was better on the mic this week, too.

NXT Season 1 feels like forever ago.

The "D Bryan" name just doesn't click with me.

Not a bad match at all. Both guys moved up some in my eyes here. I especially liked the finish.

Fine Mark Henry promo. I like that they're pushing him as a monster again.

At least they used Sin Cara's suspension to help Sheamus get over.

I think Barrett vs. Sheamus could be a pretty big deal in the future.

Cole and Booker arguing shifts from annoying to hilarious. Much like Booker on commentary in general.

I'm fine with the double count-out. Neither man got pinned or totally decimated. I hope we see runs at the top for both of these guys.

Yeah, Kane used to be a pretty big deal in WWE. He was an unstoppable monster when he was first unmasked.

I liked Kane's promo. He can still be a big player if used right.

That early RKO tease was nice.

Good storytelling here.

I wonder how much Kane has left in the tank, career-wise. Talk about your iron men.

Orton's on his bicycle? Say what now?

I liked that chokeslam counter by Orton. That slip looked kind of scary, though.

This one's getting a good deal of time.

Another cool RKO spot.

And another cool chokeslam spot.

3 for 3 in good RKO spots.

The right guy won here. Kane kicking out of an RKO on a chair would have been pretty ridiculous. Kane's a monster and all, but Orton got to look pretty good with the win.

I don't think I've ever seen Kane shake an opponent's hand post-match. More human than monster indeed.

I thought Mark Henry was supposed to be coming out to Kane's music for a second there. That would have been kind of cool actually.

They did a good job of building sympathy for Kane, making this beatdown mean all that much more as a heel move.

Now this is how you do a beatdown. Other than the commentary.

Pretty awesome injury angle. Can't wait for the follow-up!

That's all for Smackdown. I'll be back Monday for Raw and a news post will be up later. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment