Total Pageviews

Friday, May 2, 2014

Superstars and NXT Reax - 5/1/14

Read on for my take on yesterday's Superstars and NXT.

Superstars:
Sandow got the win!? No way!!! Pretty good little match. It's a shame neither man here's being built for a larger role. I think there's still a place for guys like Cena, Kane, Orton, etc. in WWE as they've all earned their stripes, but I want to see WWE continue to shift the focus to some fresher talents. Kane's got some fresh life in his character, Orton's still a very solid competitor and Cena can deliver, so no shots to any of them. Just maybe we don't need to see them QUITE as much?

It always cracks me up when people throw the in-ring ability of WWE Divas under a bus. While there are definitely some talents who aren't really good workers, there are also some matches really being overlooked because of the focus on butterfly championships and reality shows. Natalya and Tamina really delivered here. Good work.

NXT:
Quite frankly, I think NXT Takeover is best for business. There's some cool stuff going on down here and I'm glad the talent's getting a spotlight.

Great stuff from Tyson Kidd there. He can really turn it up in the ring. There's got to be a role for him on the main roster. I'd love to see him in a tag team with someone else who could use a good boost career-wise. As for Bo, he wasn't bad here. He's doing a good job of working the crowd into hating him. Unfortunately he's just an average wrestler and I think that hurts him.

I liked the post-match to keep up Bo's frustration after the failure to occupy NXT. I hope they don't make the character too angry and serious, though.

Interesting stuff between Rose and Camacho. I'd be curious to see what else they can get out of Camacho with more time in developmental. He's another guy really floating around without much to do right now.

Cool pre-match promos from Bayley and Sasha. I enjoy the presentation of NXT as a whole and the opportunities for characters to develop.

Nice! I think both Bayley and Sasha are getting better in the ring. Good work from both of them and I hope they go far.

I can't wait for the second round of Adrian vs. Brodus. The feud's been built well.

Ehhhh... there's still SOMETHING missing from the Adam Rose package. The gimmick's growing on me and he's getting more comfortable with it, and his ring work in the character is improving, but there's still some work to be had here. I think he'll get there, though.

I'm liking the Camacho feud. It's really simple, but it works.

Brodus has stepped up his game since the "demotion" to NXT. He's got motivation I haven't seen from him in a while.

Good promos from Natalya and Layla. I'd like some more of this kind of thing on the main roster. They're making progress in that area.

Good stuff with Natalya and Layla in the ring. There's a reason they've both been successful on the main roster. I hope we see more of them there.

Good promo from Adrian. He's getting better.

Oy. I think Mojo Rawley's the next Bo Dallas as far as being pushed despite seemingly only having a basic wrestling skills. I don't really "get" his push at this point.

I can't say I'm excited for the idea of Rawley vs. English, but maybe they'll surprise me. They're in NXT to get better and this is an opportunity for them to do so.

I was particularly impressed by Brodus' performance here. Good work from him and I hope the higher-ups are taking notice. Adrian continues to strike me as being Flippy Indy Guy #322. It's a no-DQ match with someone who punched his teeth out and he's still concerned with doing cool, flashy moves? He's a great athlete and a talented technician, but his performance here was unrealistic from the standpoint of it being a title defense against a monster out to crush him.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment