Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Superstars and Smackdown Reax - 5/30/14

Read on for my thoughts on yesterday's Superstars and Smackdown.
Superstars:
Good little match between Titus and Big E. Titus is getting better from an in-ring standpoint. Big E is as well, and at 28, he's still got a long career ahead of him.

The tag match wasn't something to go out of your way to see, but it was good for everyone involved to get some more ring time. They're all pretty dependable performers.

Smackdown:
I really liked the opening promo from The Shield. Payback should be one hell of a war.

I can't believe Kofi Kingston got promo time and the U.S. Title is being treated as important. This is a pleasant surprise!

That's what happens when you try to do too many cool flippy moves instead of trying to win the match. Good work from both Kofi and Cesaro. It looks like Kofi's staying in the same place on the card.

Good post-match. I like the push Cesaro's getting. His pairing with Heyman is really paying dividends and adds to him as an act.

I liked the Bad News Barrett promo, as silly as it was. I think RVD should get a promo tonight, too. Anyway, BNB's growing on me as an act.

Good promo from Paige. WWE's doing well with giving performers promos ahead of their matches tonight.

I felt like in some ways, they tried to do too much with that match. It was a good performance by everyone involved, but I think they had too many "distraction" spots. Alicia's new gimmick is pretty fun, but I don't think Paige should lose the title yet. She's still getting over as a character.

I mostly liked Sheamus' promo. He's better when he doesn't try too much comedy.

Bo Dallas fits this new gimmick like a glove. I like what I'm seeing from him as a character thus far.

Bo vs. Xavier was a little bit clunky, but I think they did well enough. Bo's still rough around the edges, but there's something there worth investing in.

Great stuff with Bo after the match. He's hysterical in this gimmick.

I've had my fill of the El Torito/Hornswoggle stuff. I think the players involved are doing their best; we've just seen so much of it.

That post-match was kind of funny, I have to admit.

I like the U.S. and IC Titles getting a spotlight tonight. Despite all the talk online about them being "worthless", they do have some prestige.

Sheamus vs. Barrett was quite good. Both men are valuable parts of the WWE roster.

Heyman continues to be great in his role.

The Usos look like lambs being led to the slaughter tonight.

Lana and Rusev continue to be effective at getting heat.

Good match to get Big E over going into Sunday.

Adam Rose's gimmick in the ring reminds me a bit of Goldust as far as the mind games go. It's definitely odd. I like it so far, but obviously at some point he'll need to show he can "go" in the ring. Right now, I'm more concerned with him getting over than having competitive matches. If people don't care enough to watch you, it doesn't matter how good you are in the ring.

I mostly liked Bray vs. Jimmy, but if Jimmy can get a 9-count on Bray, surely Bray's no match for Cena? I do think the Usos have improved notably in the ring since this push began.

More wrestling coming up.

3 comments:

  1. Payback predictions:
    El Torito over Hornswoggle unless they plan on ending El Torito's gimmick. I can see them using this loss to reboot Hornswoggle ahead of his movie role.

    Rusev beats Big E. I don't see them cutting Rusev's momentum yet.

    Paige beats Alicia. I'd be a little surprised if they take the title from Paige now after so much time put into her development in NXT.

    I could see Cesaro winning the U.S. Title. The rumor of Sheamus joining Evolution is an interesting one. I don't know if they'd want Sheamus as champion if that happens. On the other hand, he hasn't held the title long.

    I'm pretty sure Barrett will retain, since I get the feeling RVD won't be around by Summerslam. He doesn't seem to be interested in being a full-time, long-term performer for WWE.

    Cena probably beats Wyatt. With Bryan out, he'll probably be the top face again. Ugh.

    The Shield beats Evolution leading to Batista taking time off to promote his new movie.

    I can see a big angle taking place with Stephanie trying to take the title from Bryan. Could this be where Vince returns to counter Stephanie and HHH?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Torito/Hornswoggle angle has received WAY too much time for its own good with so many other alternatives to fill that time. This is the fourth match upcoming for these two in this "feud." If anything, it's done more to devalue all three members of 3MB to lose to someone who is three and a half feet tall, at best. If pressed, I'll also go with the face character in Torito to win, but this feud/match is shameful.

    Rusev will take that match. I like how WWE is giving him tougher opponents, but I think Rusev won't get his win streak halted.

    I've reiterated that I'm not a big fan of Alicia Fox and that her new gimmick seems a bit unnatural after her being pretty mundane for years and years. My skepticism for her aside, I'll go with Paige here. I don't see WWE investing so much in Paige all to have her lose the title here.

    I think Sheamus will retain, but Cesaro will look strong. WWE has clearly been a fan of Sheamus since he first started in the company, and I don't see him losing the title so quickly. Cesaro will find a way to continue his momentum in some fashion, though, and maybe even a continuation of the feud.

    Barrett will retain here, and I predict in some shady fashion. Unfortunately, RVD has done little to prove otherwise with no promos/hype surrounding why he would win here. It seems like maybe WWE is trying to build some sort of feud between Sheamus and Barrett, so maybe they will keep their titles and possibly have some sort of feud after the pay-per-view?

    I see my prediction of Cena winning being moreso that WWE truly finds Cena to be its "face" than Wyatt coming up short. I think Wyatt will look strong in this match and continue his momentum somehow. Even in defeat, having a victory over Cena so quickly in his career on the main roster and having a sustainable feud with WWE's main superstar speaks volumes for Wyatt.

    I say The Shield will win the rematch. I'm a little perplexed with the Evolution "reboot." To bring one of the most successful stables in the history of the company back together to lose twice in a row and possibly disband so quickly really does more to harm Evolution than help them. It's VERY surprising for HHH to have his team lose twice in a row and possibly disband so quickly.

    The Bryan situation is definitely up in the air. I think he/WWE will find a way to have him overcome the odds and keep the title. You mentioned Vince possibly returning. It's interesting, but I don't think it will happen that way. Vince, in character, hasn't been the biggest fan of Bryan and also has been a heel for a large portion of his career, so I don't think he will be the one to intervene. Maybe another authority figure will emerge, but the question is whom will it be?

    I honestly just want Stephanie McMahon to go back behind the scenes. I've mentioned this before, but I'm definitely not a fan of her being on television and also think it takes the shine away from Bryan to continue this angle with her. I think he's too talented and that his time would be better spent in another angle than to be in basically the same feud and the same ambiance of a feud that hasn't changed much since August.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to know whose idea doing that feud this long was and how it's getting over with the audience. I guess it was inevitable we'd get the two of them feuding given their size. The only way I can really justify it is as promotion for Hornswoggle's movie.

    WWE's committed to getting Rusev over. They're doing a better job of pushing new talents.

    Yeah, I don't have much of a clue about Alicia's new gimmick. I guess they needed someone to challenge her who wasn't already tied up in the Total Divas mess. I want Paige vs. Layla at some point.

    I see both Sheamus and Cesaro looking good in the months to come.

    RVD seems perfectly content to just do his thing for a few months at a time, collect a paycheck and bail. He's very talented, but he doesn't really have much motivation to be a titleholder or anything.

    Sheamus vs. Barrett is possible. I hope they don't combine the titles, personally.

    WWE's definitely booked opponents for Cena worse! Bray should be fine.

    Two-thirds of Evolution consists of a high-ranking company executive who only wrestles a few times a year and a part-timer with outside ventures. All three members have already held multiple top titles, headlined WrestleMania, etc. and have wrestled for years. The Shield are a really hot act of three young people WWE has high hopes for. Triple H is dedicated to getting the NXT generation of performers over. So I'm not really shocked at all.

    For whatever reason, Vince coming back is the popular rumor. He definitely was against Bryan when the angle started, but he's been out of things for so long, maybe he's tired of HHH and Stephanie and how they're running things? Or had a change of heart? I'm not crazy about yet another McMahons feud, but I can see why they'd do it.

    Stephanie would probably be fine with going back behind-the-scenes! She's got a lot of responsibilities there and several kids. The people who make the decisions love authority figures feuding apparently.

    ReplyDelete