Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Smackdown Reax - 8/8/14

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Smackdown.

That was a pretty good opening segment. Ambrose's promos can get a little out there, but there were some nice references thrown in there. For those of you who like to really read into things, the Good Housekeeping match was Jeff Jarrett's last match in WWF. That match was the infamous night when there was a big dispute over Jarrett's pay. Jarrett went to WCW, then founded TNA and is now working on GFW.

I didn't expect Rybaxel to win or anything, but it was still kind of disappointing to see them lose to Henry and Show. I've seen those two mow down opponents for fifteen years now. But maybe they'll be built up as opponents for Rowan and Harper? Otherwise I don't see much point. I definitely don't want to see them as tag champs.

I wasn't too crazy about the Ziggler/Rollins segment, despite liking both guys. I'm sure the match will be better.

I guess someone had to talk about illegal immigrants now that Zeb's a face. My best guess is the writing team wants to do something more fun than "wrestler vs. wrestler" over and over and this is some kind of inside joke they have. Working on Creative that long probably drives people a little batty.

Sandow and Sin Cara could put on a clinic if they had the time and WWE pushed them enough. The match itself was pretty good for its place on the card. I tend to doubt WWE has some grand plan for Sandow, but it's possible this is all leading to something worthwhile for him.

Rollins vs. Ziggler was quite amazing, as expected. They work really hard, as smaller wrestlers have to do at times to compete with the bigger guys.

Good enough Orton promo. He's better when he's fired up and out to hurt people.

That was a bizarre Divas match. I think they were trying to get over two stories at once (continuing Paige's work as a heel as she's built to challenge AJ and Natalya becoming more aggressive). That kind of fell flat. They should have just focused on building Paige.

Rusev continues to be really impressive as the monster heel. I don't see any reason to end his undefeated streak. I've been a fan of Swagger since the ECW brand days, but it's not time to stop Rusev's streak.

Really good Jericho promo. He's still able to contribute in a meaningful way, and that's good to see.

Pretty good main event. I don't think Ambrose is too far from being a main event singles star, which is nice. Orton continues to be at the top of his game in the ring.

More good stuff to set the stage for Summerslam. It should be a really good show.

No comments:

Post a Comment