Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 19, 2015

NXT and Main Event Reax - 2/18/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's NXT and Main Event.
NXT:

Good start to the show. It's interesting to add ref stoppage as a way a title can change hands. I'm OK with it for building Owens up as a beast, but it feels a bit spur-of-the-moment. Also, what happens if a wrestler's legitimately too hurt to continue? I guess they could improvise a DQ finish or something if they need to. Or a no contest.

Really great Kevin Owens promo. I like him as a no-nonsense guy who just kicks ass and wins titles. No goofy comedy shtick or anything. I'd love to see Owens vs. Joe, but I won't get my hopes up. Owens vs. Rusev could still be pretty great.

I miss Paul Heyman yelling GORE! GORE! GORE! during Rhyno matches. I'm fine with NXT using some veterans IF it means they're there to help out the current crop of names as "teachers" who still wrestle. Rhyno vs. Owens NEEDS to happen.

Balor vs. Owens can be something amazing. Adding Rhyno into things can be fun, too. I like the idea the NXT Title is so prestigious, someone like Rhyno would come in to challenge for it. It does raise the question of why Regal's bringing in talents who aren't in "developmental". I hope they address that. It would make sense to have these veterans test the NXT names out to see if they're ready for the big time.

Enzo and Cass as tag team champions I can get behind. I think we need to see more of what Blake and Murphy can do before a title change, though.

I liked that tag match well enough. The whole point of NXT is for the people there to get ring time to get better, so it's good that happened.

I liked that promo well enough to set up the next tag team title feud. I hope they all do well there.

Good stuff from Neville. I'm looking forward to his future in WWE.

Not a bad set of promos from Bayley and Becky Lynch. I think they'll both step up once Charlotte moves to the main roster.

That wasn't a bad way to introduce Crowe at all. Parker's great to get heat. I look forward to seeing what the former Sami Callihan can do. NXT really has one hell of a roster.

Good match between Sasha and Bates. I'm ready for Sasha to shine as the top Diva in NXT.

One last Sasha/Charlotte match before the latter gets called up sounds good. I think Charlotte should take the Divas' Title from Nikki after WM31.

Good followup on Zayn's condition. It's going to be a big deal when he comes back. Not to beat a dead horse, but compare how Zayn's booked here vs. how Cena was booked after losing to Lesnar. I think they should have waited to do the rematch at Survivor Series, and tell a story of Cena having to come back from a serious ass-kicking.

I don't think there's much underselling how good Neville vs. Owens was. Neville's good against just about anyone, but he was really good here. I think he's got a good future ahead of him if he can connect to the crowd beyond his admittedly great wrestling skills. Owens has already blown me away, but with his experience level, that's not really a surprise. Both men should get some real praise after that one.

Main Event:
Axel and Slater make for an interesting combination. I think it could work out if they become a regular pairing.

That was a pretty good match! The Lucha Dragons didn't look out of place against the main roster guys at all. I think this might be a one-time thing since they were in Florida, but I wouldn't wait too long to make them a regular team on the main roster. Getting Sin Cara and Kalisto experience will be key for them to get better and be successful. Rey and Del Rio can't be replaced overnight.

Nice showcase from Stardust. I hope he's got a bright future ahead of him. Him showing more of an edge could make him quite the heel. I think him retiring Goldust and attacking Dusty would get him a lot of heat. Hopefully enough to get him at least a strong midcard title reign, if not eventually winning MITB.

Nice move for Rose to send the Rosebuds to the back. He's growing on me as a heel.

I was a bit disappointed with that match, since it didn't get a lot of time. I'm curious to see what Rose can do.

I'm pretty excited for the return of PTP. They can really do good things if given the right opportunities.

Cesaro vs. Swagger was pretty good. Both men have some real strengths, and they worked together quite well here. I'd like to see Swagger get a renewed push at some point, with or without Zeb.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment