Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 5, 2015

NXT and Main Event Reax - 2/4/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's NXT and Main Event.

NXT:
I liked the opening promo. Since the big matches are already set for tonight, it's fine to start with something less important. I like breaks from format if there's good reason. WWE could do this on the main shows more if they announced things further in advance and didn't have to set up the main event in the first segment on most episodes.

I continue to be mostly unimpressed by Carmella. I think maybe I've been spoiled from seeing some of the more experienced names in the early days of this version of NXT. They had already worked FCW TV, perhaps, or at least other promotions. Now some names don't have that kind of valuable work from before WWE. But, hey, that's what NXT's for: to get people who aren't ready for the big time so they are ready to be on Raw or Smackdown.

I liked Neville vs. Corbin pretty well. We definitely got to see more from Corbin here, and Neville's consistently amazing. He could easily slide right into Justin Gabriel's spot on the main roster, but he'll hopefully matter more than Gabriel did. Gabriel was a very useful talent for working with names who still needed fine-tuning. I wonder how high Neville can make it in WWE.

As for Corbin, that was fine for a first loss. It had to happen eventually. What's important is where he goes from here. Honestly, sometimes it seems like the winning streak gimmick is a way of getting someone over who might not have enough else going for them to really stand out. Corbin can prove me wrong on that if he does the right things from here on out.

I'm REALLY, REALLY psyched for Owens vs. Zayn. They could definitely feud until after Mania, where Zayn will hopefully finally grace the main roster. The guy's immensely talented. I honestly think he could be their next big success story if the right things fall into place.

Dempsey/Corbin II could be pretty fun. Or it could define both of them as not meaning much without winning squash matches. We'll see. I kind of hope they end up teaming and going for the tag titles. It could be a mutual respect thing.

Nice match between Becky and Bayley. They both certainly have upsides. Becky seems to be getting more comfortable and confident out there, which is good.

Good post-match to set up next week's big match.

I like Owens a lot. He could tear quite a path in NXT. Thankfully he has some experience wrestling in front of cameras already due to ROH. That should be valuable here.

I hope Solomon Crowe will live up to the hype. It feels like he's been unused for quite a while now.

I can't help but wonder whether WWE's panicking to bring Kalisto up soon with Rey's impending departure. No one can replace someone with that much experience overnight, but hopefully Sin Cara and Kalisto can start around where Rey started when he first arrived in WWE. I can see similarities. Rey just got so much work before he was in WWE it'd be tough for anyone to compare.

I wonder where Breeze goes from here. I like his gimmick, but it feels like he's kind of out of things to do if he's not going for the title. Maybe he feuds with the loser of Itami/Balor? That would be pretty great.

Really good match, as expected. Both men have great future ahead of them. It's almost not fair to put them in NXT, but I can understand wanting them to learn the business of working toward cameras and all that. It's a bit like going from Broadway to movies.

Amazing segment to end the show. Zayn vs. Owens should be absolutely phenomenal.

Main Event:
Barrett vs. Sin Cara was really good. Sin Cara is ridiculously underutilized, and I don't really know why. The former Hunico has done remarkably and made the most of each opportunity he's gotten on the main roster. I definitely think he could be a bigger deal if WWE used him well. As for Barrett, he's a bit directionless right now. I hope he's still a future WWE Champion.

I liked Brie vs. Summer Rae well enough. They can work when they're allowed to.

Another good squash from Konnor and Viktor. Maybe once they get a really big win (Dudleys at WM31?, Tag Team Titles), they can get their gimmick changed? I'm very partial toward what they had developing in NXT.

Main Event is starting to remind me of NXT: Redemption as far as letting characters like Tyson get more development. I'm all for it. Great segment. I am a little surprised Tyson could make a Funkadactyl quip, but that could have just flown under the radar with the higher-ups caring more about Smackdown.

Funny Woods promo.

I'm completely OK with Kidd and Cesaro ending the winning streak of The New Day. They've earned it. Maybe something interesting will come of this? I could see a New Day heel turn, but I don't know if that would work as well as WWE wants.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment