Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Main Event Reax - 12/30/15, WWE live event notes, Interview with Angle, more on Vince's arrest, another ROH prospect, Raw audience, another NXT sellout, the next WWE Network live event special, and Questions on revenge on Steph, Hogan's politics, looking back at 2005, WWE the brand vs. individual performers, and planning out spots

Main Event:
Yes, I'm still salty Slater was just on Raw to get a KO punch from Big Show.

- Slater vs. Truth:
I like a fun undercard match.

This is going pretty well so far. It's been weird not having NXT or ROH this week, so I've been looking forward to more wrestling.

This has got some good psychology to it.

Nice match overall.

Didn't Titus use to have a tag team partner?

- Titus vs. Rose:
I like Titus' style. Rough but effective.

Rose is doing fine as Titus' crash test dummy, for whatever that's worth.

- Swagger vs. Goldust:
This is a pretty good match so far.

I appreciate the psychology in this match.

Both wrestlers are really sound.

Nice match.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.
The Hype Bros (Zack Ryder and NXT's Mojo Rawley) beat The Ascension at a main roster live event this weekend. They posed with NFL's Rob Gronkowski after the match. He had cheered them on. I guess I shouldn't be surprised WWE likes Mojo. He just doesn't seem ready to contribute at a higher level.

Update: Gronkowski is expected to work with WWE as they expand their plans with Tapout in 2016. He also got WWE some promotion by partying with the Hype Bros.

Big Show beat Mark Henry at a live event, too. Henry's kind of "in and out" of the main roster these days as he wraps up the last year of his contract.

Kurt Angle talked about his wrestling future:
- Never say never about Angle coming back to TNA at some point. Wrestling's in his blood.

- I'd love to see one last run for Angle in WWE, but I don't know if they'd clear him with his history of injuries.

- I definitely think he's been a really great addition to TNA.

- Angle was such an amazing heel. I agree about a lot of today's heels wanting to still get cheered. I guess that goes with the "it's all a show anyway" mentality that's kind of been fostered.

- I'd love to see one last match with Rey given their history. I just don't know if it could live up to what they did years ago.

- Angle vs. Bryan is a nice dream match, but it might have to remain one. Maybe in WWE 2K17? I'd love to see it, but it's not a guarantee by any means.

NYPD received calls from WWE fans after Vince McMahon's "arrest." Hopefully that doesn't mean an end to using arrest angles. I'm sure it wasn't fun for the people with important jobs to do. I wonder how it was handled internally with the NYPD.

Colby Corino has been added to ROH's Top Prospect Tournament, presumably with BJ Whitmer in his corner. He's got a decent amount of experience, and obviously a famous last name. We'll see how far that takes him in the years to come.

Raw's audience Monday was 3.54 million. WWE really hopes they're turning things around after their recent ratings woes.

NXT's second show in Chicago sold out in under 30 minutes. The brand's performance remains really, really impressive.

WWE Network is going to have a "March to Wrestlemania" (live event) special from Toronto on March 12. It's good we're seeing more international destinations on Network content.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. Personally, I think they could do something where he goes to spear HHH or someone and that person moves, resulting in him spearing Stephanie. But there's no way they'd risk that clip being played out of context. There are certain sections of the Internet/media that would eat WWE alive for man-on-woman violence, even if it's justified in the narrative. They shouldn't risk offending that crowd. Soccer moms are a big demographic for them, after all.

2. I agree with them. You can't tell the story of WWE without honoring Hogan the performer. I'm not a fan of him for a number of reasons, but he's a legend and deserves to be held as an important part of wrestling history.

3. It was a good time, I think. It looked like they were headed into some good frontiers where the remaining Attitude Era names would supplement some rising stars. Then we hit the dark ages of some of Johnny Ace's hires.

4. I do think there's something to the company as a whole being more important than who's headlining the cards, but I don't think Vince is intentionally sabotaging people. I mean, TNA wasn't able to compete with WWE even with names like Kurt Angle and Jeff Hardy, so I don't think he's worried about someone going away and helping another brand take over WWE.

5. Pretty much that! They can work things out in the ring and plan things backstage before the audience is let in to the building.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment