Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 19, 2015

Superstars and ROH Final Battle Reax - 12/18/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Superstars and ROH PPV.

Superstars:
- Goldust vs. Rose:
I'm glad Goldust is still around and still able to contribute in the ring. He's a really solid veteran.

Good match so far. Goldust is really good at structuring matches.

Mostly good ending. What's the over/under on Rose's number of wins in 2016? Including live events. Is 20 too high?

- Fandango vs. Slater:
These guys are both entertaining undercard acts.

Fandango's a really solid wrestler, and a valuable part of the roster.

This match is going pretty well.

Nice match overall.

Final Battle:
It's no secret I'm not looking forward to this show, at least most of it. Without Whitmer vs. Corino, it's really lacking something from a story standpoint. We'll see how it goes, though.

Pre-show:
I'm not really a fan of Truth Martini. I guess if I had seen him years earlier, maybe I'd be into his act.

- Dijak/Diesel vs. Two Jabronis:
I guess this was fine for showing HoT means business, setting up the main event. That's good storytelling.

- Cheeseburger vs. Evans:
I enjoyed this one overall. This feud hasn't really been fleshed out (from what I've seen), but it was fine to fill time on the pre-show.

PPV:
At least this match will be out of the way early. I use the term match loosely. It will probably be a circus act.

Yep, move after move after move.

Yikes... I'm really impressed with the athleticism, but it always seems unnecessary for actually winning the match.

I don't really dislike the Briscoes all that much. They do seem to get how to do a tag match.

Uggghhhhhhh. So many spots.

That wasn't as awful as it could have been as far as trying too hard.

This next match will hopefully make up for the spotfest.

- Castle vs. S. Young:
 I like Dalton being really fired up here. This is one of only a few stories in ROH that feels like more than setting up a "good wrestling match."

Silas brings something different to ROH, and that's great.

This is going pretty well. Dalton looks really motivated to win instead of setting up the next cool move.

I'm liking this one a lot!

That was quite good. I wish Dalton would have won, but maybe they've got something planned to continue the feud.

That was a pretty good post-match. Definitely one of the best things about ROH.

Elgin vs. Moose:
I think this match should be quite good. Two big hosses going at it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Elgin in NXT. He's got a good foundation.

Moose isn't bad himself. I'm liking this one, too.

Damn. Both men are doing good things without overdoing it.

OK, maybe now they're going into spot-heavy territory. Less is more, guys.

Powerbomb City. Talk about an asskicking.

Moose probably should have stayed down for three after that many powerbombs. This is overkill.

Nice ending to a mostly good match.

The build to Cole vs. O'Reilly has also been pretty good, I have to say.

- Cole vs. O'Reilly:
I like Kyle going right after him. This should be a war, not a sportsmanlike flippy exhibition.

Good God. Kyle's destroying him.

O'Reilly has some real fighting spirit. He also might be worth a look for NXT.

Nice submission stuff.

Jesus. Both these guys are really good athletes.

This is a fucking WAR.

They could probably end it about now after that many big moves.

That was really solid. They overdid it, but probably not as bad as the opening contest. I think we've seen a whole card's worth of spots, and we're not even halfway through the show.

Good God almighty. O'Reilly's just absolutely vicious here. This is insane.

- Addiction/Sabin vs. Shelley/ACH/Sydal:
I always found the MCMG really overrated.

Spot after spot after spot.

This is just unreal. It's like kids playing on a trampoline instead of a wrestling match.

That was fine to finally end it. I think we needed more between the former MCMG, but maybe they're saving that for next month?

- Strong vs. Fish:
Good start to things.

I mostly like Strong.

Fish isn't bad himself. I like when these wrestlers have time to tell more of a story.

Welp. Here we are in spotfest territory again.

Pretty lame ending for ROH, but the match was MOSTLY good.

Jesus Christ do I not care about Veda and Cedric. Neither of them are interesting outside of Cedric using a wrench.

- Taven/Bennett vs. War Machine:
I think I'd be happy never seeing another stereo dive spot. Or multiple dive spot for that matter. It's overused.

Ditto for assisted piledrivers, at least as far as ROH goes. That should put someone on the shelf. Instead it's just another cool spot.

That powerbomb spot was insane.

I did not see that one ending so quickly. I guess one of the other spotfests went long.

One last spotfest for the night. Go ahead and do all your big moves. The sooner it's over, the sooner I can do something else.

- Lethal vs. Styles:
Actually this is going better than expected so far. They're kind of easing into it.

Nice psychology so far.

This is mostly good as far as really fast matches go.

Uggghhhhhh... another multiple dive spot.

God DAMN what a backdrop.

Not a bad ending at all. Too many spots as always, but it was more disciplined than some of the other stuff tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment