Total Pageviews

Friday, December 11, 2015

ROH and Smackdown Reax - 12/10/15

Read on for my thoughts on yesterday's ROH and Smackdown. Main Event was just a clip show, so there's nothing to recap.
ROH:
The saga with Dalton's boys is easily one of the best stories in ROH, although that's not saying much given what it's up against. It's mostly been done well and actually has me invested in the characters.

- Silas/Bruiser vs. reDRagon:
reDRagon are an impressive team. I can see the influence of the Wolves.

I like Bruiser and Young as a team. They're out to hurt people and win matches, not do flippy shit (for the most part).

This is a good contest given how differently each team operates. It's rugged power vs. technical athleticism.

I was disappointed with Bruiser doing a frog splash. I'd prefer his character to eschew show-offy moves.

That was mostly a good match. Silas and Bruiser were able to slow down the frenetic pace of Team 100 Moves A Minute.

Nice stuff with Cole vs. O'Reilly. I actually care about that feud due to Cole's heeling.

Not a bad segment with Castle, Silas, Bruiser, and the Boys. Castle's character is officially getting sympy from me because he's experiencing a loss more painful than 1,000 superkicks.

That was a pretty cool surprise with Shelley being under the mask. The type of person who watches ROH would love to see Sabin and Shelley team some more. I thought they were absolutely terrible, but they'll fit right in with the other spot monkeys here. That's if they end up teaming again.

Why is this random jabroni getting a shot at the TV Title? I feel like it should be more important than that.

- Walker vs. Strong:
Walker's not bad! I wouldn't mind seeing more of him in ROH.

Strong can be a pretty good athlete. Amazing even.

Not a bad match overall.

So-so post-match. The feud is very bare bones.

Elgin vs. Lethal (or Styles) will be pretty interesting. I'm under the impression Elgin still hasn't signed a deal with ROH, so that could be his last match for the company. I wonder if WWE would give him a shot.

Oh Lord. This match should be something.

- Bucks vs. Briscoes:
The Bucks try WAY too hard. Less is more, guys.

The Bucks throw a whole night's worth of spots into one match. It's like they're insecure that fans won't pay attention to them if they actually have selling and pacing.

WAY too many spots by both teams. It's an awful style.

It's not like the Bucks don't know what selling is; they've worked with people who could teach them a thing or two if they'd listen.

The Meltzer Driver should put people on the shelf. It's way too crazy of a move to not even get a three count.

Christ. Thank goodness that ended it.

Not an awful post-match, other than no-selling the big moves that were just done. ANX should have theoretically cleaned house on the Briscoes at least after all they went through in the ring.

ROH is actually more "sports entertainment" at times than WWE, since it's often very obvious what you're seeing isn't a real match. Some big ROH matches are about as believable as Mae Young giving birth to a hand.

Smackdown:
- Reigns vs. Del Rio:
I've missed Del Rio as a wrestler, honestly.

These factions being together is definitely more organic than the Divas Revolution teamings.

These two work together pretty well. Del Rio's pretty much always a really solid performer.

Not a bad ending to keep the feuds going.

I enjoy a good multi-person brawl.

I look forward to the main event.

Breeze's character hasn't really done much on the main roster.

- Breeze vs. Ziggler:
Nice chain wrestling from Breeze. I think he's a fine performer.

Not a bad ending, although Breeze's momentum is pretty much shot at this point.

Rusev vs. Ryback could be fun from the standpoint of two big hosses colliding.

NEW. DAY ROCKS.

Big E is a lot of fun. WWE's missing the ball if they don't push him as a singles star.

- Kofi/Xavier vs. L. Dragons:
Kofi and Kalisto are impressive athletes. Wow.

Big E's hilarious at ringside.

This whole match is really good.

Not a bad ending at all.

Fine post-match to set up more action at TLC.

I like the idea of Owens using an attorney to sign things. Pretty sneaky.

Contract signings have been done so much it's pretty much to the point of mockery.

Funny ending to that segment. Ambrose vs. Owens should be good.

This isn't a good sign for The Ascension.

- Ryback vs. Ascension:
Pretty fine squash, all things considered. I generally like Konnor and Viktor, but Ryback's in a program and needs some momentum.

Not a bad post-match to save things for Sunday.

- Becky vs. Paige:
Not bad to start off. It still bothers me Becky was called up so soon for a supporting role. I hope she doesn't sink on the main roster.

I'm liking this so far.

I think the ending kind of muddied things unless they're moving to Charlotte vs. Becky next. I mean, Becky just beat the No. 1 Contender.

Not a bad post-match. Hopefully they're shelving Charlotte as a heel. Maybe?

- Reigns/Ambrose/Usos vs. LoN:
Nice heel tactics from LoN.

Smart tag team wrestling from the heels.

Ambrose is a pretty natural fiery babyface, I think.

The Usos can be pretty fun.

Not a bad ending to set the stage for Sunday.


2 comments:

  1. TLC predictions:
    - I think Charlotte walks out with the belt, but I can definitely see her turning heel either during the match or after. They might try to turn Paige back face as part of this, with her "being right about Charlotte all along." We'll see.

    - Rusev will hopefully beat Ryback to keep some momentum on his side.

    - Del Rio likely retains to set up a return feud with Cena. I have a bad feeling about them wanting to take the easy way out and have Cena beat ADR for the title at the Rumble.

    - I'm leaning toward the Wyatts winning, but they could continue the feud to fill time leading into the Rumble.

    - I could see a surprise title change in the tag match to shake up the division. WWE's high on the Usos.

    - The smart move would be to keep the IC Title on Owens to build to a match with his NXT rival Sami Zayn in early 2016. Those two have a history going back more than a decade.

    - I think Sheamus retains here in order to lose it either on a future Raw or at the Rumble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think we're in for Titus beating Stardust on the Kickoff show, since they need something for that.

    As far as surprises, I think they'll save them for the weeks to come and the Rumble. This is very much a B-show.

    ReplyDelete