Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Interview with JR, Questions on Taker, Jason Sensation, why Zayn's still in NXT, Hideo Itami, and bringing back ECW

Here are some highlights from a recent JR interview about GFW:
-  As much as part of me would like to see JR call a weekly TV show again, I wouldn't assume that's going to happen. Currently there aren't any set TV tapings or anything, anyway. One step at a time, but things seem to be trickling out about GFW.

- I like JR's philosophy of calling the event. Bad English commentary could ruin the relationship with NJPW. I can only imagine how some commentator would have handled the show.

- I wonder how much better WWE commentary would be if it wasn't so micromanaged.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. This has been a recurring story these past few years when we see Taker outside WWE. His hair isn't naturally black, so that's part of it. But yeah, age, mileage, and the lifestyle of so many years on the road in a high-stress job have all come together to make him look rough around the edges outside the ring.

2. I think he makes appearances once in a blue moon, but is largely out of the business.

3. I wonder, too! It could be a case of waiting for the right angle idea to bring him up with, like waiting for The Shield pitch in order to bring up Ambrose and Rollins. It could also be wanting to do Owens vs. Zayn down in NXT to acclimate the former to the WWE style before calling Zayn up.

4. Why do people often use someone's pre-WWE name when talking about someone currently in WWE? It always comes across like the questioner's trying to show off their knowledge, like "hey, I'm not like those plebs who just started watching him in WWE". Anyway, I'm not against pairing Itami and Heyman once the reigning, defending heavyweight champion of the world presumably exits the picture. That said, it would serve Itami well to continue to find his way in NXT. No one's denying he's talented. It's just a matter of fitting those talents to WWE.

5. It's nothing against ECW itself. I'm just ready for something new. I'd rather see wrestlers who are at the top of their games in 2014 than trying to relive something from more than a decade ago. As for something "like" ECW, with top international wrestlers and the occasional crazy weapons brawl, I'm less against that. I'm a fan of NXT, and sometimes I like seeing some crazy X-Division stuff and the hardcore stuff we've seen from the likes of Bram in TNA. I've just seen enough of most of the old ECW names outside of the occasional cameo.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment