Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Main Event and Smackdown Reax - 12/16/14

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Main Event and Smackdown.

Main Event:
I liked the opening segment well enough, although there's kind of a plot hole as far as who's granting Naomi's title match. Was it Jericho? Is he still in charge for Main Event and Smackdown? They can easily just say it was the Board of Directors or something, but I think they do need to address who's making decisions.

Kidd and Cesaro are great. It's a shame WWE doesn't know what to do with them. At least they're getting screen time, I guess.

I really liked that tag match. I'm impressed with both teams as far as wrestling ability is concerned.

I'm curious to see how Reigns does in his return. There's a lot of pressure for him to be "the" guy and win over his detractors.

So-so backstage segment with Rowan, Paige, and Titus. Titus makes a good heel.

I ALMOST want Naomi to turn heel and join Miz and Mizdow. I think the team will split before that happens, though. They've got to time Mizdow's face turn just right.

Paige vs. Emma was pretty good. They can do great things if allowed to show off their wrestling skills.

Rowan vs. Kane was OK. I think WWE needs some big hosses, but Rowan's still got some work to do in order to be a good enough competitor to be paired with someone who can't cover for his weaknesses.

Smackdown:
So much for Fandango getting a push. Roman's probably going to make quick work of him.

That wasn't bad, honestly. Granted, Fandango's a pretty good worker. Reigns looks to have stepped his game some since we last saw him. Maybe a Rumble win isn't so farfetched after all?

I liked the Ambrose/Wyatt segment, although I think they kind of no-sold just how extreme their match was. Both men are great talkers and workers. I hope 2015 sees them both hold the WWE Title, but I'm not assuming that's a given.

I mostly liked the six-man tag. Miz and Mizdow were great as always. Harper's someone to watch in 2015, too. The Usos remain solid and Rowan can be effective in the right role.

I hope we're in for a fun ending to Naomi vs. Nikki. I wonder how an Usos heel turn or split would work out.

Really cool Ziggler/Rollins segment. It kind of overshadowed the Rusev/Ryback stuff. I think Rusev and Ryback will have a pretty good car-wreck match. Ziggler and Rollins will be amazing if they're not too hurt from TLC.

I'm actually feeling The Ascension's new gimmick now. Time to bury some fools.

That was a fine Divas' Title match. Good drama and a good continuation of the story.

I liked the post-match, too. This angle's going pretty well so far.

Rose is pretty much confirmed for jobber status now. There have to be some low-level names on the roster, and he makes sense for that role. Kane continues to be presented as mattering until he loses a big match. I'm guessing Reigns gets that nod again as he gets the big push for Mania season.

Damn. The Bunny's getting de-pushed, too. So much for that angle.

I'm glad WWE's treating a concussion as a serious injury now.

I hope Ambrose and Wyatt don't have a goofy Boot Camp match. That one could go either way.

Fine Goldust/Stardust segment. What's their next feud?

I like the idea of Rollins trying to force Cena's hand as far as bringing The Authority back. Rollins making sure Cena doesn't walk out with the title is a nice tease for the PPV. Rollins leaving the Rumble with the title would be cool, although it'd be a bit anticlimactic to have Brock lose the belt before Mania.

Rollins vs. Ziggler was pretty good. I'm not crazy about the MITB winner losing again, but the match itself had some great action and storytelling.

More wrestling coming up.

2 comments:

  1. I am a bit puzzled as to Rollins losing to Ziggler. He can get arguably the biggest win of his career in beating Cena in the main event of Raw, yet loses to the Intercontinental Champion, Ziggler, one night later? I don't understand the justification there. There is no sort of rhyme or reason behind that match adjudication. What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rollins only beat Cena because Brock interfered. He's generally only presented as a threat to Cena when Mercury and Noble get involved. Ziggler had a pretty good showing in the main event of Survivor Series despite three-to-one odds at the end. So, it's not totally out of the question for Ziggler to get the win on a distracted Rollins. I was a bit surprised, but it was hardly like Adam Rose beating Kane.

    ReplyDelete