Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 20, 2015

NXT and ROH Reax - 8/19/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's NXT and ROH.
NXT:
I'm really going to miss Sasha, Charlotte, and Becky in NXT, but hopefully they'll be replaced by some future new favorites.

I love the contrast between Bayley and Sasha. I think good feuds have that.

Sasha really heeling it up here. I like it.

Bayley would have been totally punked out if she didn't retaliate.

Breeze vs. Liger could be a lot of fun.

- Breeze vs. Enhancement Talent:
Well, that showed Breeze as a threat, I guess. I do think it's time for him to move on to something bigger. He's just kind of "there" right now, underneath the title picture.

Nice post-match to sell Takeover. I'm excited.

- Hype Bros/Enzo/Cass vs. Jessy Sorensen and Three Other Dudes:
I wonder what these four jabronis got paid to lose a match on NXT without even getting introduced to the crowd.

Not bad to set up next week's eight-man tag.

Nice promo from the opposing team for next week.

Joe's gonna bust some fool up. I hope we see more from him. He should be an important player.

- Joe vs. Cutler:
Thanks for coming, Cutler!

I hope Corbin brings his A+ game to Brooklyn. This is a big opportunity for him.

Corbin vs. Joe could be quite the war.

It might be a little soon to bring Dempsey back, but I'm willing to see how he's progressed.

- Blake/Murphy vs. Dawkins/Fulton:
There's definitely potential in the former amateur wrestlers. I'm getting some Shelton Benjamin vibes from Dawkins.

Fulton as the power of the team could be fun, too. I like this.

Blake and Murphy are OK. That's about all I can say about them. Works in progress, definitely.

Alexa Bliss is definitely the best part of this tag team title feud. Takeover would be the right time to have a new NXT Diva counteract her presence.

I love Owens stringing the fans along.

Owens has points about the NXT fan mindset.

I enjoy Owens' raw frustration.

I'm excited for Balor's reign as NXT Champion.

ROH:
- Silas vs. Castle:
Castle's a pretty solid wrestler underneath his gimmick.

Honestly, this isn't a bad match so far as far as keeping the pace reasonable.

I hate when wrestlers add flair to a move just for the hell of it. It's OK for a move to be like that here and there (the Flip, Flop, and Fly; the People's Elbow, etc.) but it's gotten out of control in the indies.

Not too shabby overall.

Silas taking the boys could be interesting. I wish there were more compelling stories in ROH.

The Future Shock reunion/Kingdom feud thing is kind of interesting. The competitors themselves are pretty generic indie guys, but the story's mostly fine.

Meh. At least ROH is hyping their upcoming title matches.

- Ferrara vs. Moose:
Moose is mostly interesting. I wish he'd be a pure power guy instead of doing dropkicks and stuff like EVERY OTHER MEMBER OF THE ROSTER.

I'd love to see Moose just smash a bunch of fools on the way to the main event picture. Just go full powerhouse babyface with him and show him dominating these generic flippy guys.

Nice babyface moment after the match.

Honestly, that was a pretty good promo from Adam Cole. He MIGHT be worth scouting for NXT. He's still really bland, though.

I have a feeling this next match is where things will go to shit.

- RPG Vice vs. Young Bucks:
Yep. This is more of a circus attraction than a match.

I wish there was an "Indieriffic" chant during matches like this instead of chanting for ROH or "this is awesome." I'm not saying to be lazy during matches and not do highspots. Just make them MEAN something instead of doing what should be high-impact moves like they're no big deal.

OH GOD IT'S GOING TO KEEP GOING AFTER THE BREAK. 

This is really terrible. I don't know what else to say. It's just flippy shit after flippy shit.

Who actually likes this garbage? It doesn't even look like a real match. Why even pretend they're trying to win? Just do moves until time runs out, tell everyone thanks for watching their sweet athleticism, and walk out as friends because these matches are obviously fake.

I mean, they're doing real damage to themselves with these moves that are pretty much meaningless because they aren't sold like they're devastating.

That was a pretty devastating beatdown, but after all the moves no-sold in the previous match, why should we suddenly pretend they're actually hurt? Just have The Addiction and Sabin come out and say they're going to do more flippy shit with the Bucks and RPG Vice at whatever show, so if you like seeing a bunch of dangerous moves, come on out.

I'll be glad if/when this show gets dropped so I don't have to cover what's barely even pro wrestling.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment