Total Pageviews

Friday, March 18, 2011

Another former WWE wrestler affected by Japan disasters, update on JR, Vickie and Cena's health and Jeff Hardy's court case, new TNA tryouts, Questions on Vickie Guerrero, Cena-Miz, Santino vs. Eric Young, '90s title changes, and WrestleMania, Jericho on Smackdown tomorrow, Kofi interview, and Superstars to be canceled?

Mid '90s WWF star Hakushi has been left homeless by the natural disasters in Japan. That's always hard to read. I wish him the best, as I do everyone affected by the devastating events there.

Jim Ross has some stretched ligaments in his ankle and knee courtesy of the ankle lock on Raw. He's still sore, and swollen but will likely be ok.

Two students from the Team Taz dojo have gotten tryouts for TNA. That's a good sign. I hope we get some good new talent there. They could use some freshening up. But I think you can debut too many talents at a time. It's hard to follow up on them sometimes.

PWInsider.com notes that a lot of sites are crediting with stories that they haven't actually reported. I hope I haven't done that by accident. I apologize if I have.

After the break, I look at PWInsider.com's questions of the day, and give my thoughts on them. And there's more news to cover as well.
The first question they get is about an inconsistency I didn't think of. Why didn't Theodore Long fire Vickie Guerrero before the attack on him? I guess the WWE board of directors or whomever gave him the power to do so once they learned who was behind his attack. I guess they were allowed back on Raw because they don't know who the Raw GM is to attack him/her.

Something else I must have missed: Matt Striker said on Superstars that John Cena and Miz had never faced off. Obviously they had a match on PPV during the angle where Miz mocked him and said he was undefeated over him. It could have just been a slip-up on his part.

I prefer Santino Marella to Eric Young as a comic character. I think some of that has to do with Young going "serious" a number of times then back to comedy while Santino has been consistent once his character took the comedic turn. And I think that Santino is a better promo. If Young did end up in WWE in a comedic role, I'm not sure that he'd be able to get over as well. I really liked Young as a comedy character years ago, but maybe they used it too much in too short of a time? I don't know. Bottom line is, I prefer Santino.

Someone wants to know why there were so many quick title reigns during (parts of) the Attitude Era. It all has to do with the fact that WWE and WCW were facing off. Each company tried to one-up the other and wanted to do something fresh. They went into panic mode at times basically and switched the title too soon. Some of it also has to do with injuries or people leaving the company, but especially in WCW's dying days, they passed the title around a lot because they were desperate for ANYTHING to turn their fortune around.

Yes, WrestleMania can be repetitive at times. The Undertaker in a match is always a draw, even though most don't think he'll lose. Cena's one of their top guys, so he'll generally be a main-eventer unless they think someone else is ready to step into that role. I don't think that Orton's matches have been pointless. The breakup of Legacy wasn't a huge deal, but the big feud with Triple H was. Returns and (legitimate) retirements are also big draws, and people generally want to do those things on the biggest show of the year. I'm not crazy about some of the repetitiveness, but I see why they do it.

Chris Jericho will be on Smackdown tomorrow night in a sit-down interview package similar to what we've seen with Shawn Michaels. That could be pretty good. He isn't thinking of returning just yet, as he has commitments with Fozzy and Dancing With The Stars. Not to mention that he doesn't want to be lost in the shuffle with the returns of The Rock, Triple H, and The Undertaker.

Vickie Guerrero has lost a total of 50 pounds since starting her current exercise regimen and lifestyle. Good for her. She's slimmed down and it definitely shows.

Kofi Kingston was interviewed here. Nice read. I don't want him to customize the Intercontinental Title. It's fine as it is. I can't believe that he doesn't have a WrestleMania match yet. But they've built up a lot of other stories so I can see why. It wouldn't be the most fresh thing ever, but I wouldn't mind seeing another feud with Drew McIntyre there. They both deserve spots on the card.

Jeff Hardy is due back in court on April 20. Insert your own joke about that one. The only thing keeping them from going forward Wednesday was that the lab results aren't ready yet. That should be resolved by the new date. Presumably something else will come up to delay it again to continue the pattern.

John Cena is reporting that he suffered a concussion on Monday. It's unknown if this is part of a storyline or not. Either way, he passed their test for it and will return to work on Friday 3/18.

WGN America is reportedly canceling WWE Superstars after its final airing on 4/7. This will mark 2 years that it ran on the network. WWE's plans after that date are unknown. The show could take the "NXT" route of being online in America but on TV elsewhere, or they could try to find a new home for it. They could also scrap it for a completely new show, but this would also require finding a home in the US for it. Either way, a very interesting development. I really like Superstars, and hope that they revamp it.

That's all for tonight's news. More to come tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment