Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Superstars and Impact thoughts- 3/24/11

Not much has been announced for tonight's shows. On Impact, Mr. Anderson continues his quest towards the TNA World Championship, and we get the follow-up on AJ Styles' injury. On Superstars, well, we'll probably get a fair number of recap packages.

But that just means anything we do get won't be as predictable! Read on for my thoughts on the shows as they happen.

This actually is a nice little rivalry, but I continue to wonder where they're going with these guys. Especially with Superstars being off the air in the US in 3 weeks.

One of the good things about this show is that they talk about what's going on in the ring and why it's important. But, WWE doesn't recognize the show as important, so it's not doing well in the ratings.

Kofi Kingston vs. Wade Barrett sounds pretty cool. I still want to see Kofi on the card at Mania. He's earned it. 

I swear I just heard The Usos' theme on a Vaseline commercial. It's in the public domain I guess.

The Great Khali is a former World Heavyweight Champion, and he's wrestling on TV with no advance promotion. There's a reason this show is dead weight ratings-wise.

Matt Striker needs to get on the person who designed the graphic that said "The Uso's". That doesn't need to be possessive. No apostrophe.

I'm guessing Yoshi, The Usos, and maybe Khali will be in the pre-WrestleMania battle royal next Sunday. After that, I wouldn't be surprised if the first 3 were released. Though Yoshi will last at least until his rookie's eliminated from NXT, and presumably the rest of that season.

Perfectly fine end to the show. Nice match even though it was kind of a random mix of wrestlers on paper.

On to Impact. The first voice we hear is Mr. Anderson's, so I'm already not liking it.

At least we're doing something different with his promo this week.

Pikachu sighting in the crowd.

"Reefer Van Dam". Hohoho. Clever. I love his shtick.

In theory, the math teacher segment could have been good, but it went into weird territory there.

Hulk Hogan was on a clip on TMZ today, and yes, he talked wrestling! That's right, he promoted.... Micro Championship Wrestling. Yeah, no TNA mention at all.

Yeah, those signs weren't planted at all.

I like the "swerve" with the contract being signed by Dixie Carter and not mattering. That's actually kind of clever.

RVD not being in Anderson's league is pretty funny. Maybe Anderson meant the league of blown opportunities and pushes. Though RVD has some of those as well.

TNA knows that the opening quarter of the show draws the most amount of viewers, so they're just going to keep talking and hope that keeps the ratings up.

I'm starting to come around on the "TNA needs to stop talking about politics and ratings" bandwagon. At least as far as the ratings part goes. So we're supposed to be excited for Sting being the special enforcer in the main event because SpikeTV thinks it will get more people to watch the show? It kind of seemed like that's what they were implying.

I liked the Tara-Madison segment for the most part (except... of course... the shaky camera). It's like someone other than the normal TNA creative team runs the Knockouts Division. I guess since their segments do well, they leave them alone.

Sting's in cahoots with The Network! It's kind of funny that they call it that. I guess it wouldn't make sense for it to be called SpikeTV in the script when it airs on other channels elsewhere on the globe. It still sounds like some entity or faction that's going to debut. I know I'm not the first one to wonder if (ECW's) Cyrus will ever make an appearance. Apparently he retired in 2004 (though he made an appearance at Hardcore Homecoming in 2005).

(Super) Street Fighter (IV) looks cool in 3D. I still think the art style's kind of weird looking though.

At first I thought Dinero still had Okato tied up from last week.

I'm glad Okato explained himself to Joe. It all makes sense now.

Why haven't other wrestlers started getting paranoid that cameramen are following them, since they've interacted with them "documentary-style" in the past?

I wonder what other movie-related gimmicks we'll get in TNA after Okato (yes I'm aware that The Green Hornet is much older than the movie, but the movie is presumably why they did the gimmick).

Hahaha, a WWE video game ad during TNA. Not as funny as showing Jeff Hardy though.

So, Jeff and Karen Jarrett, Kurt Angle's fierce rivals, used to let him visit the kids once a month? How'd they work that (in kayfabe)?

I guess RVD and Hogan don't care that the cameraman's there since they pretty much had to have seen him. Especially at the end. I guess Hogan figures that by the time it airs, RVD would know he's double-crossing him or something.

I'm kind of surprised that they waited until now on the show to follow up on Ray vs. AJ.

Who's the fourth guy with Ray, Matt, and Flair? Ray said 4 on 3.

Oh, question answered. I'm glad they freshened him Abyss' look up. And he's more of a monster now.

Flair didn't bleed!? That was kind of the running thing with him.

Will Abyss get a shot at revenge on Crimson? I liked his promo. Not as over-the-top as some of his other stuff.

I liked the idea with the Mexican flag going over the American one.

Anarchia's a nice name for that guy. Originally they called him Esteban. Yeah, that's a little harder to take seriously. Unless he hit people with Spanish guitars or something, which would be hilarious and awesome all at the same time.

A lot going on in this segment. I guess we get some big crazy tag team cage match from this? Where does that ;eave Devon vs. Ray?

I guess Winter has Angelina brainwashed. I'm interested in this on one level, but I can see how people would think it's stupid. Especially when TNA is trying to be so "real".

Are Angle, Steiner, and Crimson still aligned with Fortune? That's another detail that was kind of dropped recently.

And the Ink, Inc. breakup continues. So many angles going on in TNA.

I'm glad that they're treating the main event as important. They should.

Captain America looks pretty cool. I think he has the old-school shield at some point, too.

Commercials of WrestleMania XXVII and  Desmond Wolfe's action figure, neither of which fit in with TNA's current product. And Abyss just returned with a new look, so that figure's outdated. It take a pretty long time to make action figures, though, so I'm not blaming Jakks. It's just kind of funny to me. I don't think they should have used Abyss in that outfit for his return or anything either.

I'm going with Immortal attacking RVD, Anderson, and Sting in this week's non-clean finish.

I love how Sting just pulled the referee out of the way instead of trying to help him up. That was a heck of a bump Hebner took though.

This match is actually pretty good so far.

I guess I jinxed it. If Sting was in charge due to the ref bump, who called for the bell?

I hope that's not the real voice acting in Mortal Kombat. It didn't sound very good. Also, you can only do that move for a fatality. Come on, GameStop. You should know better than that. If they do a second commercial, Mileena should take off her scarf and do her signature face-biting move. Wait, maybe that's what she was trying to lure in Scorpion for with the kiss thing... oh right, wrestling.

What the heck? Is RVD supposed to be on drugs or something? Oh right, Mic Check. The cameraman sounds like he might be down for some 420 though.

Crazy ending, but it made sense. Stupid line to end the show with, though.

That's all for my thoughts here. More to come after Smackdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment