Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Superstars and Impact thoughts- 3/31/11

Tonight, we have three hours of wrestling on TV. First up, WWE Superstars features a 6-Diva tag match. Then, on Impact, Kurt Angle continues to go after Jeff Jarrett, and Hulk Hogan schemes to get the World Championship back into Immortal. At least according to the ads for the show. Read on for my thoughts on the shows, as they happen.

I've missed these two guys. Not surprisingly I wonder what they'll do with them after WrestleMania. Somehow I doubt we'll see Caylen Croft and Vance Archer return for this feud.

I like Barreta and Hawkins, and their best days are almost certainly ahead of them, but if WWE stops making this show and/or they make roster cuts, they'd be two of the most logical choices. Sorry guys.

I wish they promoted that 6-Diva tag on Raw. Just a ticker at the bottom of the screen would be fine. Give us a specific reason to tune in.

Interesting speculation about the commentary picture after WrestleMania. I think there's a fair chance we get a change, but that's just a guess. If there's any actual news on that front, I'll be sure to post it.

Nice Divas match. This is another area I wonder what WWE will do with post-Mania.

Impact starts with yelling in the ring.

As much as I dislike Anderson's character, he might be the best choice to be TNA Champion from a business perspective. He's a younger talent who will presumably be around longer than RVD and Sting. Though Sting's stuck around a good deal longer than I expected. And he gets over.

Sting vs. Anderson vs. RVD works for me from a story standpoint.

You'd think they'd dub over Eric Bischoff calling Bully Ray "Bubba". He hasn't officially gone by that name since what, 2005?

Next month, TNA is trying to sell a PPV made entirely of cage matches. So tonight, they have a cage match!  It's gimmick overkill I think. Those matches aren't as big of a deal if we see that many of them. I guess some would say it's like a demo for a game or something, but as many cage matches as there are in wrestling, there's no need for it.

Anderson and TNA's cameraman: two of my least-favorite talkers in wrestling.

"Hey, we're not PG, we've got cursing!" is what I got out of Steiner's segment.

Time to speculate on the 4th tag team! Gen Me or MCMG would presumably be too obvious, unless they're just doing that to hype Alex Shelley's return. Maybe London Brawling? Or Douglas Williams and Brutus Magnus if Wolfe's not in the cards.

Yep, Scott Steiner just pinned the considerably younger Shannon Moore clean.

It would have actually made more sense story-wise for Magnus to go face since Williams was just face in the feud against Immortal. But I guess since Beer Money are the champs we needed a fresh heel team. Would it have been too hard to give a reason Williams is heel now? A promo, a backstage angle, something?

Then again, who's to say that they're the mystery team? That was hyped for all of one segment, and TNA does like swerves. They could have just shown up to mess with OJ and Eric or something.

How long until Max Buck insinuates that he burned Jeremy's house down and that he's the "black cloud" over him? Ok match, but they're still NXT-level workers outside of a few fancy flips and dives.

That ring attire doesn't make me think "Winter" at all.

"Freaky hot" just doesn't have the same ring as "zombie hot" for Daffney. Daffney with or against Winter would have been pretty cool.

Nice little match, even though we're getting into seriously weird territory with this feud. I wonder if we'll end up with Angelina changing her look to match Winter's.

The only non-former WWE/WCW/ECW talent in this segment was Abyss. Four of the people here have been on TV for more than a decade. I like some of these guys, but TNA needs some freshening up.

Velvet's segment wasn't so great.

Kurt in handcuffs. Talk about your coincidences.

The "Four Sides of Steel" just isn't the same. I'm ok with it, though, as I prefer the square ring.

3-on-2 cage match. Nice going Sting. But this does keep Anderson from causing trouble for that team.

In the shape Hogan's in, he shouldn't believably be able to manhandle Anderson like that. Why not get Gunner and Murphy or Rob Terry to put him in there? Or at least have him use a chair or something.

Wow, that run-in went nowhere.

Daniels... meh. I'm not crazy about him, but I could see TNA fans being happy about this. He's 40 but doesn't wrestle like it. My cynical prediction is that he joins AJ and Joe as guys I used to be crazy about but are misused and kind of burned out.

I liked the ending for the most part. I kind of wish it would have ended with Hardy and Bully Ray though. They were the better promo.

Silly me looking at the clock to judge what was the end of the show. The Sting promo wasn't bad, but I wasn't crazy about the one with Anderson and RVD.

That's it for tonight's wrestling. I'll be back tomorrow for Smackdown, which will be a lot of video packages. Until then, there's a news post coming later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment