Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Main Event Reax - 6/17/14, another TNA return, big event cut from WWE calendar, more WWE cuts, some WWE absences, Dusty talks Stardust, Aksana talks release, choices of WWE DVDs, Big Sting-WWE news, Kevin Von Erich talks Slammiversary, WWE live event notes and Questions on Rollins' heel turn, ratings, non-wrestling PPVs from WWE and AJ Lee

Main Event:
I really liked the opening segment as far as advancing Rollins' character. I'm a little split on there being two big ladder matches, but I like the idea of the contract being in play again this year. Was Ambrose vs. Rollins too much to ask for for MITB? Now they have to share the stage with others.

Kind of a silly Lana/Rusev segment. They're starting to get everything they can out of this one.

BAH GAWD RUSEV KILLED HIM. Yeah, I don't know how much more they can do with Rusev squashing people.

The Wyatts continue to have fun, creepy promos. I hope Luke and Bray both have big careers ahead of them. Rowan still strikes me as a supporting character, but that's OK for now.

I didn't expect Naomi to get the win over the Divas' Champ. The match itself was really good, but Paige shouldn't have lost unless it's building up something more important.

Ehhh... I don't care much about Naomi vs. Cameron BUT a triple threat for the title works for me.

I liked that promo from Sheamus and The Usos. Babyface promos don't have to be corny.

I can't wait for Kane vs. Ambrose!

That main event was pretty solid. I like the contrast between the quick, energetic Usos vs. The bigger Wyatts. I definitely like there being performers who aren't just 100 m.p.h. smaller guys.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.
Taryn Terrell will be coming back to TNA this Thursday. She makes sense as the next Knockouts' Champion from my perspective.

There will be no Summerslam AXXESS this year in a departure from previous years. WWE will also be moving the post-Summerslam Raw to Las Vegas. Interesting! I wonder why they cut AXXESS unless they want to keep that for Mania.

WWE has indeed made some cuts on the creative end. I don't know if that will really change things in that area of the company. It was likely just a money deal.

Big Show is off to film another WWE movie. YES! Just have him be in every WWE movie until his contract runs out. I like a KO punch here and there, but I've seen plenty of Show these past 15 years.

Hornswoggle is expected to be gone from WWE TV until his movie comes out later in the summer. That's more than fine by me.

Dusty Rhodes talked about Cody's new gimmick. I don't see it as a long-term thing, but I hope it gives a boost to Cody's career.

Update: Stardust is being advertised for future WWE events, so this wasn't just a one-night gig. I keep expecting Cody vs. Goldust at Summerslam. I could see Cody "snapping out of" the Stardust character after a loss to set up them feuding. Goldust mentioned in past years wanting to face Cody in a big match on PPV, and Summerslam at the sight of one of Goldust's most famous matches makes sense. 

Aksana commented on her WWE release. I'll never forget her run on NXT Season 3.

WWE offered some rather interesting DVD ideas. Roasts could be pretty fun. Would anyone get heat from going over the line with some of the jokes?

Sting has come to terms with WWE to be part of WWE 2K15, which could very easily lead to him going into the Hall of Fame before WM31 in California. That'd be pretty cool! Of course, a match might not be too far from possibility as well.

Shawn Michaels has a second autobiography coming out in February. Can't wait!

Kevin Von Erich talked about his sons wrestling at Slammiversary. They did alright. So far I think it was just a one-time gig, but we could see the team pop up again down the line.

Ric Flair and Triple H will each pick 10 lumberjacks for John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt in MSG next month. Paul Heyman has been added to WWE's Japan shows. Some nice additions to those events.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. Rollins is now in the other MITB match. Theoretically HHH can say the plan is for Orton to be Champ and Rollins as MITB holder. It is still weird for Rollins to be heel. I wonder how long they planned this out.

2. Yeah, they probably interpret the data in a way beneficial to themselves unless it's dead obvious something's not working. That's pretty much true in some ways for a lot of people. Someone who hates Cena will judge things one way while a die-hard Cena fan will view the same facts in a totally different manner.

3. Come on now. Rollins is still one of the most featured heels in the company. He might not be portrayed as being at Orton or HHH's level, but I don't think they've dropped the ball on him, either. If it was the HHH and Orton faction featuring Seth Rollins, I could see the criticism. But that's not the case. As I alluded to in question 2, once someone's made up their mind to judge things one way, everything they see will usually fit into that theory. As for Rollins being a "coward", sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

4. I'm sure WWE would love to do more of those. They don't see themselves as exclusively a wrestling company. I don't see that changing when Vince is no longer in charge, either.

5. PWInsider previously reported AJ Lee was just taking time off. As far as I know, that's still the case. It's a shame neither Punk nor AJ have been in WWE lately. WWE's lost some really talented people because they can pretty much get away with it. As for Alicia, I definitely see this is trying to recapture the lightning in the bottle they had with AJ.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment