Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 19, 2014

TNA to permanently bring back six-sided ring?, Raw audience, Interviews with Rock/Batista/Kevin Hart/Angle, train with a WWE Hall of Famer, WWE press and Questions on Styles-WWE, Punk's walkout being a work, commercials during matches, edgier WWE content and Bray as Champion

TNA has a poll on their website asking if fans want them to keep the four-sided ring or switch back to the old six-sided ring. If the fans want a return to the old ring, it would be implemented as soon as the New York City tapings. Interestingly, a number of TNA workers have said the four-sided ring is less cumbersome to bump on. This was never as big of a deal for me as it apparently was for so many people. I don't know if it's "too little, too late" as far as getting lapsed fans back into TNA, but I'm glad they're addressing it.

Update: Austin Aries made his feelings known. Honestly, I'm siding with him here to a good degree.

Raw's audience was 4.12 million, virtually identical with the previous week. Nothing to really say in that case! It'd be interesting to do an analysis of what constitutes a statistically significant shift in each wrestling show's audience.

The Rock talked about bouts of depression he went through and the current state of his career. Rock has a lot of respect from me for all he's accomplished and all the people he's inspired. Very touching read.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.
Batista talked about his return to WWE. I do think he's unfairly maligned for things he couldn't really control. I'm happy Bryan won the title instead of him, but there's no need to attack Batista personally over his booking. Ultimately I think the reactions aid a lot more about the fans than about Batista. It was pretty entertaining to see some of the backlash, though. I do think we'll see Batista back in a WWE ring at some point.

The Northeast Wrestling Training Center in Danbury, CT is offering an upcoming training seminar with Booker T. I imagine he'd make a pretty good coach.

WWE is raising awareness for cerebral palsy. Glad to hear it. They do a lot of good for suffering children.

Kevin Hart talked about his WWE appearance. WWE does celebrity appearances to get other audiences to watch. I hope this was successful in that regard.

Kurt Angle talked about his battle to stay sober. I hope he stays on the straight and narrow and we see him in the WWE Hall of Fame as a clean man.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. I'd be really surprised if they weren't already familiar with AJ Styles. They know TNA exists. I don't see Styles going to WWE. With the budget cuts WWE's had, I don't see them making a big offer to him. If they were going to pick him up, the time to do it was right after his TNA deal ended.

2. Not a very good one! I wouldn't be counting on him returning.

3. Main Event is broadcast internationally, so they still have to worry about commercial breaks in those markets. I actually think it's a good, though tired, formula to cut to break after a big moment (the face is in peril or has just routed the heel to the outside of the ring, etc.).

4. I believe I heard HHH say something to the effect of WWE was "resetting things" after they had so much hardcore content during the Attitude Era. It got to where "edgy" things became passe and they had really hit their peak. So, maybe now they're letting the reigns loose a little more. Hopefully the audience who wants that kind of thing tunes in.

5. I'm fine with Bray having the whole World Title in his hands after MITB, even if it's just for a few months. It's not like he can't win it back at some other point. He could be a staple of WWE for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment