Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Raw Reax - 7/14/14

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Raw.

Pretty kickass opening segment to set up tonight's main event as well as the top matches for Battleground. Cena as champion is pretty mundane at this point, but it's whatever.

Good pre-match between Sheamus and Miz. I like the reboot for Miz, even if it feels like we've seen it all before.

I think the "surprise rollup" ending needs to be put on the shelf for a while. It feels like a lazy way out at this point. At least have Miz put his feet on the ropes or pull the tights for leverage. Regardless, I don't think the win helped Miz all that much because he lucked into it. Sheamus losing hurt his momentum in some ways. So this was kind of a wash.

Kane turning on Orton at Battleground would be kind of disappointing, but I can see them doing it and it making sense. So many years of Orton and Kane as top guys makes that prospect kind of boring.

Not a bad match at all between Ziggler and Fandango. I still wonder where the Summer Rae/Layla is going and who benefits from it.

Ziggler having two valets is interesting (if that's what they're hinting here). I still want Tyler Breeze as Ziggler's partner.

WWE doing segments like the Sonic one makes me think they're desperate for new revenue. I think they could really be in trouble when the Q2 numbers are released. I can only imagine where things go from here.

The Wyatts/Usos segment was a good way to get us back into things after the Sonic segment. Can WWE do a Wendy's segment yet? Wendy's made some pretty funny wrestling-related Tweets recently.

Yeah, they're really doing a 180 with Zeb's character in a lot of ways. It's harder to make him work as a face. But Swagger vs. Rusev works for me, and I think it's time for something new with Zeb and Swagger anyway.

I liked the Reigns/Cena segment well enough. I think I'd rather have Sheamus in Cena's role and Cena in the midcard, but there's no way WWE would do that.

Glad to see Del Rio make RVD tap. I thought that one was pretty elementary given Del Rio's slide. I don't really see either man becoming IC Champion, but it's nice to build them up.

Brie vs. Stephanie at Summerslam should have some pretty good heat.

Fine handicap match to keep that story going. I've definitely seen worse Divas matches.

That was cool video for Sting, but it wasn't as cool as it could/should have been. It was too short, for one thing. Maybe there's more to come trailer-wise?

Yeah, I think Kane's definitely turning on Orton Sunday. That's fine for a feud between two veterans, but there's an opportunity to put some new names in the mix to feud with them.

I don't know what to really make of Stardust, but it's fun. I hope it has a good run, since Goldust probably isn't going to be wrestling all that much longer.

Hopefully Sheamus gets a big win over Miz on Main Event. Then again, maybe they shouldn't throw Miz under a bus after giving him a big return?

I liked Big E vs. Cesaro well enough. They did a good job incorporating Kofi. I think Cesaro has lost some momentum since Mania, but it wouldn't be too hard to get it back for him.

They added some more bodies to the battle royal, I see. I enjoy that kind of match, so I'm OK with having them added.

That was a REALLY good segment with the Wyatts and Jericho. Jericho mixed humor in without it being lame and actually sold Wyatt as a threat. I think he could get the win at this PPV with Bray winning Round 2. Or possibly the other way around. Either way, I think they'll split things and we'll either get Round 3 at Night of Champions or Jericho will move on to feuding with Seth Rollins for the MITB briefcase.

Glad AJ won that one. I find it much easier to cheer for her than most of the Total Divas crew for the reasons she alluded to in her "pipebomb" promo. Natalya's really talented, the Bellas are pretty good and Naomi and Summer Rae do pretty well with their athleticism, but Rosa, Cameron, Eva Marie and JoJo definitely didn't get hired for their wrestling acumen.

I think this is all a setup for Paige turning heel on AJ. At least I hope so, because this is pretty silly otherwise.

Kane vs. HHH is another feud I don't really care to see in 2014. Both are talented guys and obviously veterans, but I've seen it a number of times before.

Funny Bo Dallas promo, given his opponent. Was that an intentional Rey Mysterio reference? I'm trying not to read too much into it, because it doesn't really seem like a tease for a match, but "biggest little man" was the title of a Rey DVD.

I'd also not like to see Bo vs. Khali again. Or any Khali match for that matter. Bo doesn't have nearly the ring expertise to carry Khali, so this one was almost definitely flopping. Creative ending to not have Khali be pinned, for what that's worth.

Ehhh. Hopefully Bo eliminates Khali at Battleground to make up for him being chopped here.

And there's your first tease for Brock Lesnar challenging Cena for the title. It could be a fun angle. I'm sure Cena and The Authority will do the same promos they always do, but at least we get Heyman in the mix and Lesnar always adds something big to an angle.

It's probably too early to have Flair bring his daughter to the main roster, but I can hope, right?

They brought back Flair just to have him hype Cena? That seems like a missed opportunity.

Not a bad main event. It would have been better with Ambrose involved, but when is that not true?

Good ending to set up Sunday. I see Orton and Kane having issues leading to Cena retaining. Joy. Reigns prevents Rollins from cashing in to set up Cena vs. Lesnar for Summerslam.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment