Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Raw Reax - 7/7/14

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Raw.

I liked the opening segment. Reigns is gaining on me as a top babyface. I think he has a shot to do pretty well in WWE. While my idea when Bryan was injured was to put the title on Kane, I like that they're using Kane to elevate Reigns instead of him being the top guy at 47. I'm a big fan of Kane, but that's a sticking point for a lot of people.

That was a pretty good tag match to continue that feud. In some ways it feels like WWE doesn't know which team it wants to elevate more.

I would be hypocritical if I didn't attack WWE for having cracks in the Authority given how much I rail on TNA factions constantly having dissent, but I'm mostly OK with it in this instance with the Fatal 4 Way coming up. Though the question is who should fans pull for if Kane, Orton and Rollins come to blows?

Ugh. I think WWE gets so burned out with coming up with stories, they end up booking seemingly random stuff like this Alicia vs. Nikki segment. I don't think this was the best use of TV time for Divas.

No heeling Canada from Rusev? It will be interesting to see Zeb's reaction to being in the country now that he's positioned against clear heels.

Rusev vs. RVD was quite the match. Obviously RVD can get a good performance out of anyone. I've pretty much entirely enjoyed his latest run.

Orton vs. Ambrose was really damn solid. Orton remains underrated and Ambrose has a lot of fire.

I liked the Cena/Reigns segment. Cena's promos are generally better when they're short.

How many people wouldn't get a PPV payday without the IC Title battle royal?

Kind of a silly distraction, but Ziggler vs. Del Rio was pretty solid. This continues the very "sports-entertainmenty" Ziggler/Fandango feud.

I'm not really sure what to make of the Goldust/Stardust gimmick, but it's been a good ride so far.

I'd love to see Summer Rae and Layla in a more proper feud where they could really show their abilities.

I actually liked the Hart/Sandow segment. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the impersonations gimmick is actually starting to grow on me. I wonder if it is some seemingly counterintuitive way to get him over by featuring him in a reaction-getting gimmick every week.

Another squash against Sandow. I got a kick out of him pulling out the Sharpshooter.

Interesting Miz segment. The most memorable thing was the Russo namedrop. Who was that meant to pop?

I really missed Jericho's wrestling. That was quite the contest. I'm looking forward to Jericho's run.

I enjoyed the post-match. The Wyatt/Jericho feud is already really good.

I like Paige's new character turn. She's definitely more fit to be a heel.

I'm really liking the pairing of AJ Lee and Paige. Glad to see AJ back in the fold. That's the most interesting Cameron has been since Tough Enough.

Cameron vs. Naomi could be worse. The post-match sold me on the feud.

I liked the Heyman/Cesaro promo. I think we need more about Cesaro and less about Brock unless it's leading to something important with the latter.

I didn't care for that finish at all. The action was good, but the surprise win by Kofi made the whole thing a wash.

I'm intrigued about the mid-level guys getting fired up ahead of the IC Title battle royal.

That Rollins/Cena segment was pretty good. Cena's better tonight than he usually is.

Reigns vs. Rusev could be a lot of fun. It could also be Goldberg/Lesnar II. I don't think it will be, though.

Bo's gimmick is starting to become a little long in the tooth for me, but it's getting him over much better than his previous run did.

Glad that one was mercifully quick. I'd much rather have this and Sandow's gimmick than the Vickie Guerrero stuff or the coffee episode.

That post-match was actually kind of funny.

That finish was a little on the clunky side, but the match itself was fine. Cena and Rollins work together well.

The ending with Cena and Reigns was a little cheesy, but I liked the segment overall to build heat for Battleground. It could be quite the PPV (though I'm sure people will get caught up in Cena winning the main event).

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment