Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Raw Reax - 7/28/14

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Raw.
Amazing opening segment. Why can't more John Cena promos be like this? Obviously not every opponent is Brock Lesnar and not every opponent should be treated as if they are, but Cena is much better when he's serious and treats his opponents as threats. The only thing I didn't like was Cesaro acting like Cena "can't wrestle". That felt like bait for the "smart" fans to make him a "cool heel" people will cheer. Cesaro's better than that.

Cena vs. Cesaro was a really good match. Main event level, for sure. I got a kick out of Cesaro doing the Swing after the rumor that it had been banned. I doubt this will silence the people who think Cena can't wrestle ("Cesaro carried him", "he's only good when wrestling good wrestlers"), but both men showed they're really incredible athletes.

Quite the interesting backstage segment. The Authority continues to show cracks. I don't think I want to see Orton as a face, but it could work.

That was a really awesome AJ/Paige segment. I now think the feud can go a third PPV. They have good chemistry as characters.

Another really good segment! Obviously Jericho, HHH and Stephanie have a lot of history. The end was a clever way to bring it back to 2014.

I liked the six-man tag. I expected the new faction to get involved, but WWE's keeping an air of mystery about them.

Bo's character is such a douche. He's pretty entertaining in the role.

Well, that was anticlimactic. This seems to be the year to end winning streaks on a downer note. I don't see how this really helped anything. We'll see where Truth and Bo are in a month.

At least Bo got his heat back after the match. I hope his push survives the loss (it should if they keep featuring him).

I'm getting a little tired of so much politics in wrestling, but the Rusev/Swagger standoff was effective in getting heat for a rematch.

That segment was ridiculous, but I was OK with some levity after the Rusev/Swagger stuff. Sandow's pretty entertaining in his increasingly oddball roles, but it's hard not to wonder if this is some kind of punishment.

At least that was quick? I really hope this is just Creative not having any ideas for Rose or Sandow. It's not like either of them are going to be title contenders soon, so I guess this is just to give them something to do.

Del Rio vs. Ambrose should be pretty tight.

WOW. That was a serious beatdown on Roman. Reigns vs. Orton should be quite the brawl at Summerslam.

I liked them continuing to focus on Reigns after the break.

Bleh. The finishing move was pretty cool, but the match as a whole wasn't my cup of tea. I do think it was important to "reset" things after the really serious Reigns segment, though.

Yeah, poor Fandango. He might start giving Sandow a run for his money as the one always getting beaten in ridiculous segments.

Pretty good Stephanie/Nikki segment. I haven't cared this much about the Bellas in ages.

I'm thinking Goldust and Stardust are going to face The Usos for the tag team titles, possibly as heels. That's about the only sense I can make of this angle.

That was a fine enough Divas' tag match. I don't realistically think Naomi vs. Cameron can go several months. I think it would really drag. I could be wrong, though.

I figured we'd get Jericho vs. Rollins at some point. They really delivered here. The ending made sense to keep Jericho's feud going without Rollins being pinned.

No big surprise that Wyatt would attack Jericho. Good stuff to continue the road to their second match.

Jericho vs. Rowan could be rather interesting. I look forward to it.

That was a pretty good segment to get us to Brie vs. Stephanie. It pretty much had to happen eventually. Both sides played their roles here well. I think this is probably the biggest match of Brie's career, and one of the biggest matches any Diva has had in a good while. Stephanie doesn't step into the ring for just anyone.

It's also pretty significant Raw ended with a segment focused on two women. I can't think of a time that's happened in years.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment