Total Pageviews

Friday, April 15, 2011

Smackdown thoughts- 4/15/11

The show must go on. That's the unfortunate reality we're presented with tonight, as the newly retired Edge surrenders his World Heavyweight Championship. Where does Smackdown go from here? Where does the WWE go from here? We get a clue starting tonight. Read on for my thoughts on the show as it happens.

The start to Smackdown is about as good as it could be, given that they've had to rewrite so much due to Edge's retirement. Serious heel stuff from Del Rio. Then again, heels are kind of supposed to be jerks. Kind of uncomfortable though.


My guess is Christian wins the battle royal. I love that type of match, for the record. Just a bunch of dudes fighting. I wouldn't have one every night or anything, but it's a good way to mix a bunch of people up in one match. They're also perfect for giving underdogs a nice "hope spot" that makes people take them more seriously if done right.

No problem with the Kofi/Zeke match, though I'm not really crazy about a Corre breakup. That being said, with Edge retiring, there's a big gap in faces, so a Zeke face turn can partially help fill that gap. It's going to take time to "replace" Edge, or perhaps more accurately cope with the loss of him.

Not crazy about the Laycool segment.

Rhodes makes up for it, though. Glad they're making that battle royal and the World Title important. I'm getting a "Dr. Doom" vibe from Rhodes' look here. A different color obviously, and I'm not the first one to see it, but I can see it. I like his mission statement.

Yay, Kong promo. Which show will she end up on?

You know, we could just as easily get a surprise upset in the battle royal. That might not be the best idea though.

Drew's getting some nice credibility in this match. Maybe Edge's sudden retirement means WWE's going to do a better job building up some new stars. Yes, he lost, but he moved up the ladder a bit.

Awesome Edge video. Talk about your memories.

I'm going to miss this guy. A lot.

One last entrance. I like it.

This needs to be on a DVD. Go Albany crowd for being so respectful of Edge and his mom.

Glad we get SOME in-character stuff on the show, though I definitely understand why some people are somewhat less menacing than usual (Kane).

Yoshi Tatsu's in the battle royal? Say what? Heck, throw Hornswoggle or Ricardo Rodriguez in there if you need a 20th guy. At least they're on the right brand.

I was looking forward to JTG vs. Del Rio, too.

Big Show in a ladder match is something that shouldn't happen.

Never go to the top rope in a battle royal. One slip and you're eliminated.

How crazy would it be if Edge's former partner/associate Curt Hawkins wins this and the ladder match for a feel-good moment. Again, just throwing out scenarios.

If Masters got McIntyre to pass out in the MasterLock there, he could just drop him and he'd be eliminated.

I kind of want them to save Del Rio vs. Rey for later, but it'd definitely make sense here.

Kofi could also get a big boost here, but the go-to guy in my book is Christian. It just makes sense here.

A Gabriel face turn would be nice, too. He's got some potential.

Swagger as one of the last two's kind of a surprise.

That ankle lock spot was pretty cool.

Hopefully Christian gets a good rub from all of this. I'm not sure if I'd have him win the title, but I'm glad he's theoretically getting a nice push now.

That's all for tonight's show. I'll be back with a news post after midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment