Total Pageviews

Friday, April 22, 2011

Smackdown thoughts- 4/22/11

What do you do when one of your biggest employees retires? Throw them a retirement party of course. Tonight, alberto Del Rio has the honor of looking back at the career of his bitter rival, and one can only guess how that will go down. Read on for my thoughts on Smackdown as it happens!

I really hope Kane and Big Show don't win the tag team titles tonight.

Interesting to start the show (to a degree) with Cody Rhodes. That is something different.

Yes, we're rehashing the "fans wearing masks" thing from a few years back with Chris Jericho. I'm not sure that it's been long enough to do that.

I like the paper bags idea! Luckily a good number of fans are "playing along".

They're not saving the rematch until Extreme Rules? Maybe that's an indication that one or the other is going to Raw. I don't think I'd go that direction.

How many years have they used that "shake things up again" sound byte?

Rey INTENTIONALLY hit the 619 on Rhodes to win the match, he just didn't intend to break his nose.

I think that's the first time I've ever seen a WWF ad on WWE. Well, you know, that WWF. I wonder what the relationship between the companies is like now a fair number of years after the name lawsuit.

At least the match is getting time. I wonder what kind of gimmick match we will/would get to settle the feud.

I like that the World Title is hanging above the ring to sell the ladder match next weekend. Since it's vacant, it makes sense to have it either there or in Theodore Long's office.

Nice continuation of the feud, if cliché.

Oh crap, I see The Corre losing everything tonight to further their break-up. I wouldn't be as upset if it wasn't to Kane and Big Show.

More breaking up (presumably). Actually make that a definitely now. I wonder what face Layla will be like this go-round.

That WrestleMania song again... wow, that's a lot of equipment.

He only kissed one foot actually... but glad they didn't show the whole segment all over again.

New tights for Barreta? Maybe WWE will notice him now. Not that I think he should get a massive push or anything, but I hope he doesn't get released soon.

Again, who benefits more from going over here? Two wrestlers only a year into their careers or two wrestlers who've been main eventers for over a decade? I like Kane, and I don't dislike Show, but I think they should drop this one.

Damn it. Another step back for the "youth movement". At least they didn't totally look like jobbers here. I wouldn't have minded if it was Santino and Kozlov (on Raw or a PPV). There were other ways to disintegrate The Corre as well. If they needed Ezekiel to get them a win, they could argue over that. This moves them down the card some I think.

Maybe Slater will get a bit of a reboot, or be replaced by someone on the team, but I doubt it. I'm still not crazy about him.

Does Masters ever win by pinfall? I guess this is just kind of killing time because they don't know what all's going down in the draft next week.

I think in the future we'll have recaps of recaps. "Last week on Smackdown, we took a look back at last week's Raw."

I wonder if The Corre's dropping the titles because someone will be drafted.

Guess not, unless they're switching Barrett and Sheamus.

Alberto's driving a car with the steering wheel on the right side for London.

I think the music's a little much here.

If that's not Alberto's real accent, I think he should tone it down some.

Didn't think I'd hear that song any time soon.

I wonder what Lita thinks about this segment?

Kind of weird going into the relationship between Edge and Lita, since that's one of the few things he got a lot of legit (off-screen) heat with fans over.

Was that Kerwin White's music by any chance?

This segment didn't work as well as I'd hoped when hearing about it.

That's a pretty cool shirt for Edge's retirement.

Not really a surprising end, but I'm not really complaining.

That's all for tonight's thoughts. I'll be back for Tough Enough and Raw on Monday. Until then, there's a news post coming after midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment