Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 30, 2011

WWE stockholders' meeting thoughts- 4/29/11

WWE had its annual stockholders' meeting on Friday. Read on for how it went and my thoughts on it.

Here's a recap of where Vince McMahon spoke.

Ratings-wise, I'm thinking that Smackdown is actually doing better on SyFy than MyNetworkTV. MyNetworkTV was only in certain markets, and the show did get pre-empted in some markets seemingly every week.

As far as international talents go, it doesn't matter to me where they're from as long as they're good. I wouldn't push an American over an Indian or Japanese wrestler just because of nationality. But at the same time, I wouldn't push someone exclusively because they were a big star in a foreign market. Since most of WWE's shows are in the United States, you have to be able to get over in this market primarily. That being said, I think WWE has done a great job with a number of international talents they have brought in, and I'm glad that they keep looking in those directions.

Piracy is indeed a huge problem, not just with WWE. I'm glad that they brought programming to those countries due to the demand, however. Expanding internationally is a good goal for them to have.

Thankfully they're not planning a repeat of the XFL or World Bodybuilding Federation!

I liked the "menu" answer about the PG rating. Interesting that he mentioned WWE's abbreviation since it's officially not an abbreviation anymore. The criticism of Michael Cole vs. Jim Ross was weak, as it had been built up to and the fans were really into seeing JR take out Cole. The only criticism I see in the scripts "belittling the watcher" are things like Hornswoggle's skits and some of Cena's jokes, but again, there's a part of the audience that really likes those.

Yes, being on the same weekend as another major PPV attraction is rarely a smart move. It's the same reason you don't want to release a football game close to when Madden comes out.

Good to see that they're growing demographics if that's wise financially.

I'm surprised that they're doing something a beer commercial, unless they're using Stone Cold or someone in it. They'll almost certainly catch flak if a John Cena or Rey Mysterio drinks in it.

PG indeed doesn't have to mean kids. I'd rather have a good PG show than a crappy TV-14 show.

Interesting answer about blood. I don't find it necessary, but it can add to something when used right.

Presumably shows like NXT and Superstars are sticking around as long as they can continue to draw ratings overseas. Why cut a show that's making money (via TV rights)?

Clearly someone there wasn't a TNA fan! I don't picture them buying the company soon, but it's certainly interesting to think about. Presumably they could make money promoting it.

WWE's Chief Marketing Officer also spoke.

I like the comparison to KFC or Apple. As long as their fried chicken and computers stay strong, those companies remain successful. Though obviously their other properties are important as well.

I'm curious to see what else they acquire in the months and years to come.

Here's a recap of the third part of the meeting.

Interesting title for Triple H. It's always intriguing to see where he is in the company hierarchy.

All that was covered in that section was interesting. I just don't really have anything specific to say about it.

This wasn't quite as long as I thought it would be, but I'm glad I split it off separately to save space in the other post. I try not to do these too much because I don't want to end up having tons of posts every day. It's much easier this way!

I'll have the other news post up shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment