Total Pageviews

Friday, April 29, 2011

Smackdown thoughts- 4/29/11

We've got some new faces (and heels) on Friday nights thanks to the Draft, and we're just 2 nights away from Extreme Rules. These elements combine to make a chaotic edition of Smackdown from Greensboro, NC. Read on for my thoughts on the show.

I wonder if they'll switch the tag titles back to Slabriel now that Kane and Show are on different brands.

Wow, Orton's really changed a lot in those 5 years since he was last a part of this show.

Hopefully they don't have Orton destroy McIntyre here. He could get a good credibility boost if... never mind. At least he didn't get Sheamus-level taken out.

Wow, Riley's music's about as generic as it gets.

So, what's the point of all of this? There's a pretty good chance that the fans already know that Orton's a big deal.

Who would have expected a tag match to come from that? I think they go to that card a little too much. I usually don't complain about predictability (because I generally don't mind it), but this was just too by-the-book.

I like Sheamus taking out Kofi during his entrance like that. Hopefully Kofi does take the U.S. Title to Raw on Sunday. Not because I dislike Sheamus by any stretch.

When someone asks if Rey Mysterio can overcome the odds, the answer's almost always "yes". Maybe we need new oddsmakers?

I wonder why WWE stopped teasing that Swagger would turn on Cole? Did they change their minds?

WWE needs to stick with one pronunciation of this guy's name.

It just dawned on me that they're wearing the brand shirts because a good deal of the live fans might not have seen the Supplemental Draft earlier in the day.

Sin Cara seems kind of short. This was his best singles match so far as far as his comfort level in the ring. Then again, they could have edited it since it wasn't live.

Oh, now that I'm thinking about it: Mattel actually LOST the lawsuit over Bratz dolls. So presumably Kharma crushing them is a "take that". WWE works with Mattel now after all.

There's not much of a reason to assume that Kane and Big Show will drop the titles here, since the champions can be on any show anyway.

If Tough Enough was a work, Michael Cole could show up and heel the contestants. I can't be the only one who'd enjoy that. Just, you know, maybe not as much as them actually training/improving.

Hopefully after Extreme Rules, we don't get any more references to the royal wedding in WWE. Or anywhere for that matter.

Kane looks a lot less menacing in the blue shirt.

Meh. At least it wasn't a squash. And I wouldn't be crazy about a week-long title reign anyway.

FCW cameo! I've seen the name "Jinder Mahal" more than a few times when reading about what's going on down there.

I think Ranjin Singh is a writer for Raw, so I guess he's doing double duty now.

I'm very interested in how well Henry will do in this new role.

What size is Henry's shirt? You could fit four Hornswoggles in that thing.

Mark Henry should get his face painted or a mask or something to complete the Predator look.

I love the "he's so strong, when he kicks out, his opponent goes flying" spot. So awesome.

I thought Rhodes was going to choke Rey with his tie there for a second. We know how well that went last time someone did it.

Good segment to set up Extreme Rules. Heels beat down face, face has to get revenge on Sunday. And they fight in the crowd to set up the Falls Count Anywhere stipulation.

I wonder what kind of goofy stipulation they could add to Michelle vs. Layla on Sunday. I'm thinking a "couples' therapy" match where they fight using different things from a psychiatrist's office, and the winner gets all of their joint possessions.  No, I don't think they should really do that. It'd be funny in a way, but not the best match they could do.

Ha, Layla doesn't have her own music. I don't even remember what she used before Laycool.

Not sure why they didn't save this for Sunday. Oh...

Darn. I was hoping for "Extreme Catfight". Layla's due for a face turn when this one's over. I'll give my idea for what they should do in the preview column for the show.

Don't get TOO sure that Christian will win on Sunday. WWE's briefly had both World Titles on the same show before. More than once if I'm not mistaken. They could have a Smackdown guy win it back via a Money In The Bank cash-in. I doubt they'd go that long without having a big title on Smackdown though.

Poor Brodus doesn't even get an intro. I wonder how much he works on Smackdown house shows, and how much he works in FCW (he's listed on both rosters).

I wonder how high Christian could climb given the right creative support.

And I wonder where Brodus goes without Del Rio. And where is Johnny Curtis? He's owed a tag team title shot, darnit!

I wonder how Brodus would do on Tough Enough. I think he still needs work for sure.

I'm going on the assumption (based on how he's pushed) that WWE higher-ups wanted Clay to win NXT. I wonder who they wanted to win previous seasons?

I think that Orton-Del Rio would be a heck of a feud down the line.

I like that Orton pinned Brodus here. It keeps the three people who are in matches this Sunday from getting (directly) defeated.

And that's a wrap. I'll be back to cover Extreme Rules on Sunday, and I'll have a news post up in a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment