Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Superstars and Impact thoughts- 4/14/11

At the last minute, WWE decided to move Superstars to its website, giving everyone a scant few hours to be notified of the change. Thanks, guys. So I'll continue to cover the show in detail before Impact each week. So, tonight see some matches that I already spoiled because I thought this show wouldn't air, and the final build to Lockdown! My thoughts are after the break.
So much for rumors that this show was being replaced by Velocity or Heat. WWE still has contracts with international networks so they're not getting rid of the show entirely. Same situation with NXT.

No references to Hawkins being part of La Familia with Edge?

I wonder if the show surviving internationally and online means that some of the regulars on the show are somewhat safe from being released?

Nice match. These guys seem to be improving.

That speech still gets me. It's yet to sink in that he's not going to be able to wrestle anymore.

This show has 9 minutes less of content than NXT. More time for commercials in those international markets. Maybe it's easier to sell ads for this show than that one?

Is this breakup leading to a Maryse face turn by any chance?

California Dream's a pretty cool name for that move.

Another fine match. And another Awes... whatever they'll call her promo. I like it.

Zack Ryder gets to cut a promo on his internet activities on the first week this show's on WWE.com. Hopefully that's a good sign of him staying around.

I'm pretty tired of Khali, but at least this wasn't 100% a squash. I don't think Ryder should have won (unless he majorly cheated), but I just don't see much left to do with Khali that doesn't involve putting over other wrestlers.

That's all for Superstars.

It's pretty weird having 3+ hours between the two shows. Actually kind of refreshing since I don't have to do all 3 hours of wrestling back-to-back.

Wow, it's even making me be ok with Hogan' and Anderson's promos, until the "asshole" stuff and what followed. I'm guessing Anderson overcomes the odds and wins on Sunday. At least he's relatively fresh compared to RVD and Sting.

Hopefully, Immortal is starting to crumble. The whole show needs some freshening up, but these guys are particularly tiring without enough opposition.

I like the concept of this match.

I'll be glad when those kind of tattoos go out of style. Hopefully these guys will make enough money to have them removed.

Nice continuity with Abyss taking out Crimson. Even though Crimson and Steiner aren't really facing Immortal anymore.

Clever weed reference there.

I'm guessing these matches determine which team goes into Lethal Lockdown first, instead of making it 4 on 3.

Weird looking submission. I'm not pleased with Kazarian losing like that. It's going to go 2-1 in all likelihood, but which way? It'd make sense if Immortal won, then the babyfaces got a nice victory on Sunday. But this is assuming TNA would treat that as a big deal and continue to push Fortune afterwards, which is obviously not a guarantee.

Obvious heel move by Madison, but I'm ok with it. Madison's really getting the rub here. Great mic work.

I say triple threat next month between Madison, Mickie, and Tara if Mickie's good medically. You think they'd focus more on the hair aspect of the feud.

I'm fine with this match, too. Promote 3 matches at a time while featuring wrestling? Everyone wins.

Older guys talking again. These guys are big stars and valuable to the company, but I think they need to take more of a backseat than they do. I don't mean to fire all of them or anything like that, but there are fresher talents who could use the TV time a lot more.

Why would the network care about a PPV? It's not airing on Spike.

2-0. Ouch. At least give the faces a hope spot. They look like scrubs going down winless.

A hardcore legend has a DVD out this Tuesday and they just now promote it.

Bischoff should close his door.

Let me guess, Dixie has a friend at the network?

I say Angelina gets a big gothic makeover. At first I thought the black eyes were from getting beat up or something. She's doing a good job with her body language in this role.

This is some seriously weird stuff.

I'm liking this gauntlet match. It's getting time and has (gasp!) actual ring psychology and a face overcoming the odds against heels. You know, the things that get crowds into a match for longer than a bunch of flashy spots that blend together.

Listen to that crowd. They're cheering the face. They're booing the heel. And they're into the story. This is how you do it, TNA.

And this is how you don't do it. I've seen way too much Hogan on this show.

Not a bad end to the show until we got to Anderson's god-awful yelling. And then we got more stuff involving Sting and Hogan, which I'm also not a fan of.

And that's a wrap. I'll be back covering Smackdown tomorrow where Edge surrenders the World Heavyweight Championship.

No comments:

Post a Comment