Total Pageviews

Monday, May 23, 2011

Raw thoughts- 5/23/11

Last night at Over The Limit, John Cena retained the WWE Championship after a grueling "I Quit" match with The Miz and Alex Riley. What's next on the horizon for him and the rest of the Raw roster? We get part of the answer tonight on Raw. Read on for my thoughts on the show as it happens.

I hope we get a 10-bell salute for the Macho Man at some point tonight.

Nice reaction for Lawler. I really, really hope they're moving on from this feud.

I like R-Truth's intro. Thankfully it wasn't Cole who interrupted.

I wonder how much of Truth's frustration with his previous character is legitimate. He's right; he didn't get very far up the card with singing and dancing.

I'd love to see Truth take on and beat Hart tonight.

The "rooster" line was pretty dumb. Took some fire out of what was a good segment.

This is a great set-up for a feud.

That was kind of a surprising main event, but I'm fine with it. It makes sense that they wouldn't use Miz; they need to keep him and Cena separated for a while.

Who should Del Rio team with to take on Kane and Big Show? Maybe we get to see what Ricardo can do in the ring? He is training in FCW as far as I know.

Punk on commentary! Oh how I miss that.

Big Show continues to move down the list of "people I want to see on wrestling shows". Sorry Show. It's not that he's bad; it's that I've seen him so many times and he hasn't changed all that much over the years.

YES! I might have pitched keeping the titles on Kane and Show for a while as a business decision, but personally I'm glad that they lose the titles. Otunga and McGillicutty aren't doing much of anything, so this helps their credibility and continues the New Nexus storyline. Again, it's not like the two 7' multiple-time World Champions need any help in the credibility department. Hopefully, this means good things for New Nexus going forward. There MIGHT be something left in them now that they have the tag team titles again.

Also of note, the titles went from a 39-year-old and 44-year-old to two 31-year-olds. The oldest champ in WWE is John Cena, at 34. A full 18 years separate him from TNA Champion Sting.

That poster's pretty goofy.

It's impossible for me to look at that kind of flannel shirt and not think of Mick Foley.

Wow, that was pretty unexpected. Yikes. A heck of a way to go from the Nexus feud to one with Del Rio (which I'm really looking forward to). Del Rio working with an established veteran to further his resume and rise in WWE? Works for me. Note that Kane has to go back to Smackdown now (but knowing WWE he'll be on Raw too). They could build to a Raw vs. Smackdown match at Summerslam between Alberto and Kane if they wanted to.

Glad they're selling the injury as a pretty big deal.

I really liked the Swagger/Bourne match. Not a complete squash, but got its point across.

Nice post-match angle as well.

This angle's a hard one to wrap up.

How long until he goes back to being heel Cole?

Miz is pretty good here.

Nice face turn by Riley. The fans gave a pretty good reaction to it, too. I think he's got a good chance of making it in WWE.

I can't be the only surprised that there are 8 Divas on Raw.

Well, that didn't take long. She made up for the time she lost by not appearing at Smackdown or Over The Limit.

If Kharma runs through 8 Divas, they might as well just go ahead and put her in the WWE Title picture.

I can't be the only getting Nexus flashbacks.

I like that they're showing everyone's reactions.

The hell? Didn't see that coming. Especially the "not jumping up and clotheslining everyone when they were near her" part.

Nice reaction for Kofi.

Drew McIntyre finally gets pyro.

I'm glad that someone explained the NBA reference.

If that "botch" where Kofi hurt his leg was planned, they did a heck of a job making it look like it wasn't.

Oh WWE, you so crazy. That dream sequence and what followed were kind of out there (as they were on Sunday).

Simple backstage segment to get over where we are with the New Nexus.

Again, props to WWE for making a car accident pretty important.

Awesome look back at Savage's career. WWE's tops at this kind of thing.

Thank you Macho Man for everything you meant and still mean to wrestling.

I can't wait for WWE to have a new movie to push. That way I won't have to see this commercial anymore.

LOVE Punk's Macho Man-esque ring attire. That's pretty cool.

Fun end to a solid Raw. Faces win; heels can complain about biased officiating.

That's a wrap. I'll be back tomorrow for NXT and there will be a news post up later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment