Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

NXT thoughts- 5/31/11

NXT: Redemption is finally moving along as tonight someone gets eliminated. Who's sticking around in the competition and who's going back to FCW? Read on for my thoughts on the show as it happens.

Cole's appearance is probably the most interesting thing that's happened this season. His commentary was hilarious in Season 3. Annoying in a way, but hilarious.

It felt like Maryse was killing time running down the point totals. I'm a little surprised that they didn't reset them.

Maryse sounds kind of bored.

Tag Team Turmoil- I'm ok with that.

Conor's promo was awful. The facial hair's also pretty goofy.

Lucky wasn't bad.

Not bad by Darren either, but this crowd's so dead it's sucking the energy out of the show.

I liked Byron's promo alright.

I liked Titus alright, too, but none of these guys made me want to see them on Raw or Smackdown.

I wonder why Regal's not here, other than Cole's Season 3 work. Hopefully someone does an Octopus.

Not a bad first stage of the match.

Appealing to votes from WWE fans is pointless as far as this week's elimination goes, seeing as how the polls are closed.

This show is like the midway point between FCW and Superstars. They experiment with characters to see what's worth taking to the main shows.

Cole talking with JTG is great.

Jacob O'Conor? I loved Cole covering up for it. Hey, sometimes a talent probably should be buried. If Novak comes back, it should be a while from now under a different name and gimmick.

It'd be much better for business to focus on what's going on in the ring, talking about how these guys could improve and what they're learning from their pros and the like, but it's more entertaining with them going off on their own narratives. I wonder how many people still watch this show?

I wonder who the people are in those Capitol Punishment ads. WWE office employees?

I think I'd cut Byron. Conor's a close second.

I liked Byron's exit promo.

On to my rankings:

Top Tier:
1. Titus O'Neil (Last Time-1): I think Titus is furthest along of the group as far as who I'd like to see come back next season. He's got nice power and is improving both in the ring and on the mic. I think he's over that hump for the most part and now just needs to keep improving. He just might end up earning that spot on the main roster when all's said and done.

2. Lucky Cannon (Last Time-3): Just when I think he's going to drop down the rankings, he impresses me enough to stay on. He and Darren are pretty close to each other as far, and both are noticeably below Titus. Lucky has just a hair of an advantage due to his character work and all over "style". He needs to show the steak to go along with the sizzle (to steal JR's analogy) if he wants to surpass Titus and stick around. He can talk the talk, but he needs to walk the walk better to make it to Season 6 in my book.

3. Darren Young (Last Time-2): Darren's another guy I'm somewhat straddling the fence on. I like him in the ring and on the mic. If he can improve in both areas (particularly on the mic) he could also be someone to watch down the road. He's not out of the competition yet, but it's going to take some work to win I think.

Middle Tier:
4. Conor O'Brian (Last Time-4): Conor's just... not working out. He isn't bad, but I think he needs more training. He's got some ok stuff going in the ring, but not much to make anyone want to watch him. I'd be very surprised is he came from behind and won this one. He needs a lot of work in his character to seem like someone the audience would want to see regularly. If we only get one person to make it to the next season, he wouldn't be my choice.

Bottom Tier:
5. Byron Saxton (Last Time-5): Byron was kind of up-and-down this season. He seemed like he had good mic work, but didn't stand out enough in the ring for me to be impressed enough to keep him around. He wasn't bad by any stretch, but when push comes to shove and someone has to go home, he's my choice.

And that's a wrap for NXT. I'll be back for Superstars and Impact on Thursday and a news post will be up later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment