Total Pageviews

Monday, May 2, 2011

WWE Extreme Rules thoughts

Tonight WWE goes Extreme in a card filled with gimmick matches. We've got big clashes and title matches, and we're guaranteed a new World Champion. Read on for my thoughts on the show as it goes down.
I pretty much assumed Nexus would end up involved in the ending, so I guess them being banned from ringside (in a no-DQ match?) gets rid of that. I don't guess there's anything specifically saying you can't ban people in a Last Man Standing match, though it does make you wonder what they'd do if it happened, since it's generally treated as no-DQ.

As hard as Punk's working here, I'd hate for his time in the company to be drawing short.

Seriously brutal match. That was a heck of an opener. No complaints there (except that it could very well have been too dangerous).

Stupid me didn't even think to add a gimmick to my proposed bonus matches. I had Kofi vs. Sheamus as a Street Fight when I first came up with it, but didn't put it in the post. The other theoretical bonus match could have been... oh... just go with "weapons match". That was only a fail-safe for if something went short or something anyway.

I loved how Kofi looked out for a sneak attack. Hey, why didn't Long make the match over the weekend?

That one was pretty cool, too. Nice psychology by both men. Glad they moved the U.S. Title to Raw, even if that was an obvious move.

Also note that Sheamus won his first title in WWE in a tables match, and has now lost a title in a tables match.

I love heel Cole. So much. How did it take so long to use him this way!?

Not really sure why Cole went over here. Hopefully the feud's over. As much as I love Cole as heel, Lawler should have finally knocked him silly here.

Rhodes vs. Mysterio's starting off with a lot of fire.

Awesome match. Unique spots and a good finish. Rey wins, but Cody can still complain about the finish.

Layla being set up for a face turn?

Another good match and finish. I like it.

I'm a bit surprised that this was Kharma's debut, but it makes sense. I wonder where she'll end up brand and allegiance-wise. I'd picture her just showing up wherever and doing whatever. I mean, who's going to stop her?

Christian's busting ass here. Hopefully he finally gets the title. Not that Del Rio isn't doing well, because he is, but it's time for this guy to bust through the glass ceiling.

That was absolutely amazing. A career making moment for Christian and it elevated Del Rio for the most part as well. Christian finally wins the big one after a career full of solid work. Congrats.

I'd be remiss if I didn't note that he was also NWA World Champion and (WWE) ECW Champion, but this really put him on a whole new level in my eyes. Hopefully he keeps the spear in his moveset and he gets a chance to shine going forward.

Darn. Kane and Show still champs. Well, at least the lumberjacks got PPV bonuses. And it worked out better for the story to progress how it did anyway. Hopefully someone gets a nice rub from dethroning them at some point though.

Pretty awesome end match. Though I'm not crazy about Cena as champion, I can live with it.

Sorry this is so late. There was a pretty major news story I was following elsewhere. Overall though, solid show and I hope there are no injuries following some of those insane bumps.

I'll have Sunday's news post up later.

No comments:

Post a Comment