Total Pageviews

Friday, May 13, 2011

Superstars and Impact thoughts- 5/12/11


Tonight on Superstars, Chris Masters takes on Drew McIntyre in a “they’re both on Raw now” match. Then, on Impact we find out who’s representing the Network, who Kurt Angle’s “mistress” is, and who Matt Hardy’s teaming with to challenge Beer Money. It’s an important day for wrestling shows; read on for my thoughts on the shows as they happen!
I’m not really sure why they stream NXT, but this show just gets posted like any other video. Maybe it’s easier to stream (since they don’t have long to get NXT onto the website the same night it’s taped).

“Don’t feed Evan?” I don’t get it.

Oh yeah, just have a new ring girl and don’t tell us who it is.

Oh yeah, just have a new manager and don’t tell us why it is.

What does the P.S. stand for? It sounds like he’s writing a letter. That’d be an interesting gimmick. “You just got called out by Michael. (leaves, comes back) P.S. … HAYES!” Edit: It’s “Purely Sexy”.

Any time the head writer of the show is in your corner, it’s a good sign.

Hayes can CUT A PROMO. My God. Wrestlers in training, take note.

I’m liking this pairing so far.

I wonder if Nunzio will ever end up back in a WWE ring as a competitor?

I’m not so sure that Christian fans will be assuaged by what Korpela said.

Miz needs to do something big on Monday to show he has a chance against Cena next Sunday.

Business is picking up with that kickout.

I’m glad Korpela remembers the match with Jey Uso, because I sure didn’t. We need a Superstars Rebound for these things.

This has been a pretty good match.

I liked this one. These guys earned their spots. I want to see Kidd beat up Nunzio at some point, though.

It’s Mr. Superstars! And they actually showcased the Ryder signs!

I think he’s serious, Zack.

I’m kind of surprised that WWE’s talking about Ryder’s YouTube show, since it’s not them producing it.

Didn’t I pitch a Hawkins/Ryder reunion in an earlier column?

I’m cool with this ending. Angles on Superstars now? I’m hoping that’s a good sign that they’re not going to 
just have this show be filler.

Seriously, they better be doing something important with Christian to justify that quick title reign.

That video was very well done. All it needed was a “Miz Girl” reaction.

The ring announcer doesn’t look like anyone on FCW’s Divas roster.

Stanford’s a goof. In a fun way.

I’m surprised that Masters hasn’t held a singles title in WWE. I think it’ll end up happening if he stays on his game.

I’m loving the psychology here.

A documentary on a Phillips-head screwdriver?  That’s a new one.

Solid match to show what these two can do with their “fresh start” on Raw.

Nice win.

That’s all for Superstars. On to Impact!

I’m liking this promo. Pure heel BS.

So much for my Isis The Amazon (Aloisia from NXT) theory. Debra maybe? I seem to remember Bischoff talking negatively about her in the past, so I’m not so sure.

Just saw former TNA interviewer Leticia Cline in a commercial. Crystal was my favorite.

Tessmacher’s not bad at all. She’s in there with some real pros, though, so that helps.

So much for Flair’s injury.

Wacky camera time with the old guys.

This angle with Dreamer really has “suck” potential. I used to really like this guy, but we’ve seen him come back so many times he’s gotten a degree of “X-Pac heat” from me.

So if Hardy beats Beer Money, he’s only beaten some “nobodies”.

I’m not crazy about James Storm’s character. 

So it’s not going to be the Hardy Boys; my guess is Chris Harris.

Damn, they beat me to it. Didn’t they fire this guy for complaining about his spot or something? At least he’ll have a chance to overcome his run as Braden Walker. I’d have saved the reveal for PPV I think.

What a goofy looking mask/outfit. How long did it take to make it?

I actually do know who it is, Taz, because the Internet can’t keep a secret worth a crap.

I’ve lost track of who Suicide is under the mask.

Meh. I’ve had my fill of the X-Division, so this didn’t do anything for me. I’m ok with Sin Cara, since there aren’t as many people like him pushed in WWE.

Speaking of things I’ve had my fill of, it’s Hulk Hogan!

Mick Foley got a haircut!!??Oh wait, it’s just in a ponytail.

Hopefully he’s used like I would use him: as a replacement for the other people cutting promos, used as the “Teddy Long” of the show to show up only when needed to put things over, then leave so the important stuff can take place.

Meh. Very meh. 1999 Chyna I’d be mostly ok with. 2011 Chyna? Not really. She doesn’t look so great in HD. Apparently she actually changed her name to Chyna legally, so TNA can use that name.

This Sunday, we have RVD, Sting, Tommy Dreamer, Kurt Angle, Chyna, Matt Hardy, and Jeff Jarrett. That’d be a pretty big deal in 2000-2001. Also featuring Air Styles!

I wonder what all the people who didn’t watch WWF pre-2001 think of Foley and Chyna being on-screen together. It was actually kind of cool in a way for me (since I did).

To me, it’d make more sense to add Joe to the match on Sunday, and do Abyss/Crimson tonight (if you had to).

Wait… Slammiversary’s supposed to be the big 5-way KOTM match. So unless the battle royal winner’s getting a shot on Impact leading to that, they’re changing that this year.

So-so match.

Abyss looks like a werewolf with his teeth like that.

I don’t care all that much if they call it “Impact Wrestling”. It’s a nice move to counter WWE shying from the word, but I don’t think it makes a big difference if the product’s not much different.

A comedy midcarder just eliminated the TV Champion they’ve been pushing as a serious deal. This company continues to frustrate.

However many “hey guys, we’re WRESTLING now” comments later, I’m regretting the name change.

Everyone in the final stage in the match has worked for WWE, WCW, or ECW before coming here. AJ worked there briefly, but it counts.

I can’t wait to see Bully Ray vs. Tommy Dreamer. On a DVD from 2003 or so when those guys were still fresh.

Wow, Chyna does not look like her 1999 self at all. Kind of sad that everyone from that era they bring back is close to 40, if not there or past it.

Anderson was the lesser of the evils in this match. He’s still fairly young and fresh, yet mostly credible as a World Champion. Slammiversary needs to be his night.

So-so promo. Still not a fan of him, but at least he hasn’t been on TV for over a decade like TNA’s other top names.

And that's that. Thank Goodness. I'll be back tomorrow for Smackdown and a news post will be up later.

No comments:

Post a Comment