Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Superstars and Impact thoughts- 5/5/11

It's Cinco de Mayo, which may or may not have an effect on tonight's shows. On Superstars, Zack Ryder faces off with Evan Bourne. Then, on Impact, Hogan and Bischoff continue their investigation of the "network" while the Jarretts try to identify Kurt Angle's mistress. Read on for my thoughts on the shows as they happen!
WWE tried to make up for Superstars being shorter this week by uploading it a couple minutes late. Nice try, guys.

It's really interesting seeing how long the shows are each week without commercials. NXT was 50 minutes. Superstars is 38.

I guess the Usos can't pull the switcheroo "twin magic" here. Have they pulled that trick or is that just for the Bellas?

"While we were away" only works for the international markets. Unless they're really fast.

That was a pretty cool move. Glad they replayed it.

Not a bad match at all. I doubt it will mean anything in the long run, but I'm intrigued with Barreta.

Wow, Orton's pretty tame on the red carpet compared to his WWE persona.

I guess a Melina match is Cinco de Mayo related.

These two always work together well.

I like how Melina used the broken nail as motivation. Presumably that was ad libbed?

Melina's impressive here.

That was a pretty cool spot to set up the Glam Slam. Nice match.

I know a lot of people are rolling their eyes at WWE calling this year's Mania the best ever or whatever, but it's a lot easier to sell that than "well, it was an ok show, not as good as some other editions".

Stanford cracks me up sometimes.

I feel weird watching all of WWE's shows (well, aside from AM Raw) since they recap so much. The idea is that if someone missed Raw, they might catch NXT, Superstars, or Smackdown to see if they go over what happened there.

I swear I just heard a "Let's Go Ryder" chant. That YouTube show's getting some nice view numbers.

Not a bad match here.

Well, so much for that win streak. He's a "lovable loser" I guess.

And that's that... on to Impact.

I wonder if Snow, Brown, and Diamond ever think of getting back in the ring?

I guess I'm ok with the network rep being revealed next week. I'd have probably saved it for PPV since I think that's where your big deals should be saved for.

Roode's my favorite promo in Fortune by far. The others just don't click for me for whatever reason. Not really sure why they felt the need to throw the Jay Lethal part in there, since he's not in the company anymore. Why promote someone who's gone?

Guesses for Hardy's partner? I'm going for Shane "Gregory" Helms.

The much-anticipated, heavily-hyped debut of costumed guy with horrible generic Spanish music! More on who Sangriento is later.

That costume's just weird. Doesn't say "blood sport" at all.

The reason having a luchador in WWE works is because we don't have tons of small guys doing flippy stuff there.

I thought Flair was with Immortal? Why would he screw over the people he's been teaming with?

And you thought you'd never see The Rock on Impact...

That's the least convincing Latino accent I've heard in a long, long time.

"BYOB: Bring your own Tequila" Derp.

I seem to remember Hector Guerrero being against LAX. It'd be more heelish if Mexican America beat them up. Though the fans haven't been given much reason to care for them.

I wonder why Christy Hemme's doing announcing. "Knockouts = ratings" maybe?

Not a bad match until the ending. I've had my fill of Tommy Dreamer angles. I'd much rather have Rob Terry/Murphy get the rub since they're already on the heel side and aren't getting TV time.

I'm thinking this is something like the "JBL owns Shawn Michaels" angle. I don't mind that idea; I'm just tired of Dreamer.

At first I thought they might tie this into both of them being in WWE developmental, but I don't know if they were there at the same time. It'll probably be something much weirder. Also note the proof that it's not a hypnotizing angle, like someone answered at PWInsider.com.

I don't really picture Velvet being able to take out Karen.

Velvet's not very face-like. She's just up against a heel.

Goth-ish Angelina's kind of creepy looking.

I would say that this whole angle is getting those Knockouts the rub, but they're doing well ratings-wise as it is.

I'm kind of liking Velvet in this role, though her voice is still annoying to me.

So um, is the loser fired or just not in Immortal anymore?

Crimson should be going after Abyss. They're facing off in 2 weeks on PPV. Wait, let me guess, they'll make it a 3-way to do something with more people.

Meh. These guys aren't bad, per ce. I'm just not looking forward to a rematch by any stretch.

I'll be glad when the network exec is revealed and we presumably get less time from Bischoff and Hogan.

I'm not really feeling Crimson as undefeated monster. At least not on Joe's level. Hey, at least it's someone newish being featured.

Not hard to see why that entrance got over.

I guess face vs. face means it's for the honor of the fight or something. I think it does help get over the title to a degree.

She's going to wrestle in the gl... never mind.

I think I prefer spunky, bubbly WWE Mickie to Hardcore Country TNA Mickie.

Tessmacher's not bad.

I don't really see why Mickie would care if Tara got her freedom since they feuded pretty big, but I guess since it's a face thing to do, she's doing it.

From the perspective of the TNA viewer who doesn't follow things online, tonight's the first they've heard of Lethal being fired. Given that some people "fired" on air come back later, some of them probably have an expectation that he'll return in the angle.

Weren't the Bucks just feuding?

Not crazy about the RVD-Sting package, though I get that it's different from WWE and there's an audience that apparently loves it.

"I'm not as good as I used to be. This is about respect." etc. sucks as a promo. They're not fighting because there's a heated issue between them we just HAVE to see settled. I hate that crap. Just picture Batman saying that about the Joker or something. How interesting of a movie what that be? Actually, since Sting was without makeup, picture Bruce Wayne saying it. Even dumber.

I think I'm going to have to go see Thor.

I much prefer silent Angelina.

Velvet got a pretty nice boost here. Solid reaction, too.

I guess the things that people were upset over at the Impact tapings are on next week's show.

Russo as the network guy? Egh. Not what I'd hope for.

Weird swerve with the suggestion of Goldberg. You'd think, given that they've never been able to get him to work for the company, that they wouldn't mention him.

Not crazy about the ending.

That's that. I'll be back tomorrow for Smackdown, and there will be a news post up later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment