Total Pageviews

Monday, May 23, 2011

WWE Over The Limit thoughts

Tonight, Randy Orton defends the World Heavyweight Championship against Christian and John Cena battles The Miz in an "I Quit" match for the WWE Title. Read on for my thoughts on the show as it happens.

Heel Truth is best Truth. This was a pretty good match. I like where they're going with the character.


Nice promo by Miz. Again, this is the guy from the Real World that fans wanted to leave forever when he first debuted?

Another great match as far as what they wanted to get across. Wade keeps the title, but Zeke saves face and gets additional momentum/sympathy as a good guy. This is what storytelling is all about. Bravo.

More good work from a ring psychology standpoint. The ending brought it down some, but all in all Cara continues to grow as a performer.

I liked the Orton/Christian segment. Note that I don't have much to say when things go well in wrestling because I don't feel like I need to give any criticism.

That was kind of weird, but it made sense that Del Rio got on the show. I initially was thinking of having Del Rio do an open challenge in my fantasy booking preview, but decided against it since they already had 8 matches. Adding him in a segment would make sense, though, but I was focused on the matches they had announced.

Wow. Pretty surprised they had Ryan take the loss there after the push they've given him, though he did put up a fight. I wonder where they're going with the angle from here. I don't think Ryan's an amazing in-ring performer by any stretch, but there's definitely something they can tap into there. A fine match (again, from a storytelling standpoint), but the followup could make or break the ex-FCW Champion.

Very surprising outcome to Kelly vs. Brie. I guess they're fleshing the story with Kharma out longer? It's pretty bad when you feel like the whole match is just going to kill time until Kharma looks dominant and destroys people. Maybe they're changing gears a bit (or maybe they just wanted a cleaner ending). We'll see.

Glad Christian added the spear to his repertoire. Hopefully he continues to use it. Fine match all around.

I love heel Cole. Most of the time.

This match was a little short (not that I was expecting anything too long from these two). LOVED the ending. The heel finally got what was coming to him from people he's wronged in the past few months, and we even got a surprise cameo!

I would have saved Riley for a little later. It looks kind of bad when two guys are having that much trouble with Cena.

Didn't expect to see that level of brutality from Miz.

That spot with the fan was awesome. Great stuff so far.

For anyone complaining that they reused the Rock/Mankind finish (which they didn't entirely, because that ended the match and didn't involve a cell phone), that was TWELVE YEARS AGO. Bill Clinton was president then for crying out loud. The seven year rule continues to hold true.

I think Miz gave in a little too early (even if he is a cowardly heel losing to a super-face), but I suppose they're continuing to build Cena as a big deal for his match with The Rock.

Mostly a good show tonight, especially the main event. Hopefully Capitol Punishment continues the trend.

That's all for the coverage of this show. I'll be back tomorrow for Tough Enough and Raw, and a news post will be up shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment