Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 21, 2015

NXT Takeover and Main Event Reax - 5/20/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's NXT special and Main Event.

Takeover pre-show:
I'm guessing the angle is Owens attacked Itami? At least they're getting some mileage from Hideo's injury.

Good promos from the performers. I feel like no one's missing much since there's no match on the pre-show.

I look forward to Breeze's entrance!

Nice angles involved with the Divas' tag match. They're doing a good job getting Dana involved in stories. I might not be a big fan of hers, but she's involved in an interesting story.

I hope we are in for new tag team champions!

It's great for Stephanie to be putting the Divas over. Her taking Sasha under her wing on the main roster would be a good story. I don't think the time is right for that just yet, though.

I think it's smart to play up if Owens' head is in the game with the match with Cena coming up. That's easily the biggest match of his career.

Takeover:
Well, this is an interesting start to things!

God, Tyler Breeze is amazing. I know it's really unrealistic to drop someone like Big Show and replace him with a guy from a show a lot of the audience doesn't watch, but I can dream, right?

Balor's entrance can be really creepy.

Awesome costume!

Balor could probably get over just by his entrances. Not that he needs to.

How long does it take Balor to get all that paint done?

I'm starting to get Chris Jericho vibes from Breeze. He's definitely a special talent worth following.

Great match so far, but that's no surprise. I think both these guys have potential to really "be someone."

Nice spot with Balor walking into the Supermodel Kick. Breeze is working more like a veteran. I like it.

Really good sequence leading to what could have easily been a 3. This is nice.

I honestly wasn't too crazy about Balor's dive from the girder. It felt kind of contrived.

Balor wins! Balor vs. Owens should be a great match. Great stuff from both men.

WHOA! A Game of Thrones star at NXT is really something.

I'm glad we get to see Emma work NXT since she's not often on the main roster.

It just dawned on me Emma stealing Bayley's stuff might be a rib based on the legal trouble she got in. That's funny in a messed-up way.

Emma makes a better heel than I thought she would. This has been great.

Nice stuff from Bayley.

Charlotte's working circles around Dana. It's too early for her to be on this big of a stage.

Charlotte's athleticism is really great. I'm excited to see her on the main roster if they use her well.

Great spot coming off the crossbody.

Quite a good match overall. Where do things go for here for the competitors? If Emma goes back to the main roster and Charlotte makes her way there, Bayley and Dana are kind of stuck without some momentum.

Seeing the new signings at ringside is cool. Will they be involved in angle tonight?

I'm really pumped for Corbin vs. Rhyno. I hope it's a war.

Corbin does remind me a bit of "BikerTaker," but that could just be the look and entrance.

I like how Corbin's just a rough dude. He doesn't worry about getting "this is awesome" chants or pulling off a 450 suicide dive. He's just there to mess someone up.

I half-expected Rhyno to hit the gore and win.

That was an OK match. Obviously Corbin still has some growing to do as a wrestler. I'm glad Rhyno was around to help him get further along in that role.

Owens has had one hell of a week.

Owens vs. Zayn AND Owens vs. Cena in May? Oh, yeah. I'm excited.

Carmella's growing on me as an integral part of this act. Next tag team champions, right?

Enzo, Cass, and Carmella better make it to the main roster without their gimmick being defiled in the process. They're O-W-V-E-R!

AND THESE RIGHT HERE, THEY'RE THE TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS. AND THEY'RE BLAND AS HELL. AND YOU CAN'T. TEACH. THAT!

I'll at least give Blake and Murphy credit for their hilarious hairstyles.

Nice stuff early. It's the story that's carrying this. I like the "little guy, big guy" dynamic of the challengers.

The elevated Backstabber was pretty cool. I'll give them credit for that. They're not terrible.

Enzo makes a great face in peril. He's really fun to watch.

Big Cass is pretty agile for his size. I didn't used to be that big of a fan, but he's really impressed me these last few months. He's got fire, too.

BOOOOOOO indeed. I guess it's good for the champs and Alexa to get more screen and ring time. I at least appreciate Alexa being added to things to make it more interesting. I think she should match her color scheme with Blake and Murphy if this is going to be a long-term thing, though.

I'm willing to see Alexa work out as a heel. I think she has it in her.

Eva Marie's being trained by Brian Kendrick, so I'm not so down on her.

Whoa! I like the new look from Becky. I think she's another talent with an upside. This is why I love NXT.

Sasha Banks already carries herself like a star. She's going places.

They might be trying to get a little too fancy early, but I appreciate the effort.

Cool arm-wringer spot.

I love Sasha making fun of Becky.

Sasha's really going after Becky here. Talk about your killer instinct.

Nice counter to the arm submission.

Make that TWO impressive counters to the submission move. Wow!

I think Sasha's ready for the main roster. A few more months of experience wouldn't hurt her, but I'd definitely like to see her called up by the end of 2015.

I'm liking Becky more the more I see of her. That suplex with the trapped arm was great.

Is she the Irish Suplex Machine now?

This is awesome! Becky and Sasha are really showing what Divas can do.

Some of these big spots aren't as smooth as I'd like, but they're really cool and impressive.

Great ending sequence! I think they both gained something here. A competitive loss can still elevate you, which is lost sometimes when people criticize the booking of someone like Cena on one side and Neville on the other.

Damned if Becky didn't earn that applause. Great showing. I hope she has a solid future ahead of her.

It's not the main roster, but this is still a pretty big stage and accomplishment for the former Kevin Steen and El Generico. I wonder if this is their biggest audience facing off to-date.

Owens wearing a Cena shirt is GENIUS. I love it.

Owens is a perfect prick, dropping the shirt instead of throwing it to the crowd.

That's one way to bring the fight to Owens.

I like how this is just an absolute brawl instead of trying to do the biggest, flashiest move.

Who'd have thought Zayn would have Owens reeling?

The teased powerbomb spot in the crowd was awesome. Great drama here.

Awesome counter to the DDT spot. It didn't go perfectly, but it was cool.

If Zayn wins, we get a Round 3, right?

I'm really liking Zayn here.

I was hoping Zayn would turn that into a hurricanrana.

Can Zayn sell an ass-kicking or what?

How long until Balor needs to save Zayn's ass?

DAMMIT REGAL STOP THE DAMN MATCH!!!

I want to see Regal vs. Owens now...

What the hell is this?

WWWHHHHAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT??????

IT'S SAMOA JOE! USING THAT NAME! THIS IS CRAZY!

Samoa Joe, Kevin Steen, and El Generico are in one ring. On a WWE show. This is unreal.

Owens facing someone even bigger and more dominant than himself will be something to watch.

I really hope Zayn's OK.

Main Event:
I'm not so sure Fandango and Ryder should have been able to lift Rowan if they want Rowan to be a big monster type. Hopefully one day Harper and Rowan replace Kane and Big Show, respectively.

I really like watching Harper in the ring. He stands out from the pack, for sure.

Good ending. I like Fandango and Ryder, but 2/3 of the Family definitely needed a win here.

Bo is hilarious. He's another guy we could see more of if we didn't have to see The Authority so much.

I'm liking the crowd interaction here, with Bo yelling and Swagger getting the USA chant started. You can have the best technical match in the world, but if the crowd's not reacting, you're not doing your job.

Good ending sequence. Bo's improved in the ring. He's not amazing, but he has enough on the personality side to be passable in his role.

Nice work between Alicia and Summer Rae. They can both deliver in the ring.

Pretty good match overall between Alicia and Summer Rae.

The New Day is awesome as heels. The Joan of Arc remark got me, as did the references to Tom Brady. They're so smug and arrogant.

Darren Young is pretty motivated here. He has good babyface fire.

I've missed the double-teaming of PTP. I liked Slater Gator, but it was a pretty different vibe.

I think I like Titus better as a face. I definitely like him better as a tag team guy.

Pretty good match overall. Elimination Chamber should be interesting. I assume Woods sneaks in the Chamber after an elimination to help his team out.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment