Total Pageviews

Friday, May 8, 2015

Smackdown Reax - 5/7/15

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Smackdown.

The opening segment was fine to get to Barrett vs. Ziggler. We already saw Jerry Lawler vs. the King of the Ring in 2007. I'd much rather see Barrett face KIIIIIIING BOOOOOOOOOOOKKKAAAAHHHHHH.

That wasn't a bad opening match. The interference card is becoming pretty played out. I understand they want to protect both names and there are only so many ways to end the match, but it's rather tiring at this point.

Neville's doing pretty well for himself to be working with three former PPV main eventers. I'm glad he's got a pretty good spot on the main roster. I was worried he'd be held back by his lack of strong promo skills.

I liked the tag match pretty well. All these names are pretty stuck in the midcard as far as not getting a push, but I guess WWE's kind of biding its time while Bryan's hurt.

Cool promo from Ambrose. I'm glad he's getting a WWE Title match, even if it does feel kind of out of nowhere. I suspect he was put in to give Rollins someone to pin since they want to protect Reigns and probably Orton.

Harper vs. Fandango was cool to give Harper a win. So much for Fandango's face turn meaning much. He's a talented guy, but it looks like he's stuck where he is now.

I'm more than OK with a Wyatt reunion, since obviously things aren't working out for them as singles stars. It was fun while it lasted.

I definitely think we're in for Lana turning face to cost Rusev the match at Payback. Throwing in a white flag or something would prevent Rusev from tapping out/quitting on his own. This is Rusev's fourth straight PPV against Cena. He won the first match, only lost the second because of Lana getting on the apron, and wasn't pinned/made to submit in the third. If he's similarly protected in this one, the claims of him being "buried" will be even less accurate. I definitely think the end will be because of Lana instead of Rusev not being as good as Cena or what have you.

Fine Rusev promo. He's going to need to cut his own after splitting from Lana.

Reigns' promo was fine, too. I think he'll be ready to be a "legitimate" WWE Champion by Summerslam if the company wants him to be.

There's been really good energy in this six-man tag. No surprise, though, given who's involved.

There are some really talented athletes going at it here. I love the contrast of the high-flyers with the technique and power. There's a little bit of everything here.

I wonder if Bray will bring his followers back into the fold or if Rowan and Harper are on their own.

Good match overall. Bray probably would have felt stupid if his distraction didn't work.

I'd like to point out the oldest person in this month's WWE Title month is only 35. That's quite impressive.

I like the pairing of Naomi and Tamina. I just wish they would have held off on it until after Payback. Paige returns to go after Naomi and BAM there's Tamina.

Naomi vs. Emma was fine to get Naomi a win. Emma's match with Charlotte on this week's NXT is worth checking out. Heck, Emma's work there in general is quite solid.

Damn. At least Emma can say she was on a main show for once, though.

It's worth noting Kane actually was WWE Champion in 1998, but it was just for a day. I think he's earned a PPV title match to pass some time before Brock returns to challenge for the gold at Summerslam. Then we presumably get Kane vs. Big Show. Eh.

It's interesting Diego, Fernando, and Sin Cara are all in their second main roster gimmick, as masked people who in kayfabe aren't Primo, Epico, or Hunico.

We were having a pretty good match until Torito randomly got involved. I guess they're just doing some levity before the contract signing.

Kalisto is really impressive. I'm glad he's on the main roster.

Good match overall. Lu-cha! Lu-cha! Lu-cha!

I guarantee you no one wants to see a Fernando/Diego feud. Them as heels could work, I guess.

What the heck happens if the contract isn't signed? It's not like WWE's not going to have the match.

More hinting of Justin Bieber in WWE. I kind of want to see it just for the sheer insanity of it.

What's to stop Kane from adding some other kind of stipulation to the contract? I guess Triple H and Stephanie?

I loved Rollins trying to get in the heads of his opponents. Funny stuff.

That was a pretty fun ending to the show. I'm guessing Payback sees Kane inadvertently help Rollins retain. I'm looking forward to seeing where things go.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment